Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Newsletter 13/01 just being sent out so should arrive in inboxes shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Which were not the submitter's fault.

Issue 12/11A just being emailed out. Hope there aren't too many ghastly blunders in it, and apologies for the formatting being inconsistent as hell again, I just don't have enough time to iron out all the cosmetics!
    Just read it. Very good again Kevin. Only possible typos I saw were some medal dates.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Just read it. Very good again Kevin. Only possible typos I saw were some medal dates.
    As noted in the medals thread those are not errors because of the different dating conventions - the medals for player-of-the-year type awards refer to the year in which they were earned while the lifetime-achievement medals refer to the year in which the award is presented.

That said the odd gremlin, typo or spelling error should be expected now and then. Each newsletter is a pretty big job and rather fiddly.

Noted just now and agree on all.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

There's been a problem with newly subscribed addresses (via the ACF website since it was revamped) not being passed on to the program used to mail out the newsletter. Manglu has just sent me a list of the 34 addresses affected and I've sent them a copy of the current issue with an invitation to email me if they would like back issues from the previous months.

Could people please send submissions in the body of email text only, without formatting. If there is a form/attachment or anything else with formatting involved then the person sending the submission needs to arrange for the form/attachment (etc) to be hosted on another site and send me a link to it.

Thanks.

Was considering putting out a fill-in issue but there is not enough urgent material to justify it so at this stage the next issue remains scheduled for Tuesday 5 Feb, and please submit material by Friday 1 Feb.

Manglu and I are exploring the possibility of sending the Newsletter through the new ACF website - easier for archiving especially, and also for adding new addresses - so don't be surprised if it looks slightly different or if there are any issues with this process.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 24-01-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Note to people sending me tournament reports - please keep them reasonably short. If I decide they're too long I'll often do something like host them on Google Docs, link to them or offer to email them to subscribers individually. Not setting any particular size limit but over a page is too long for pretty much everything.

Newsletter 13/02 has just been sent, except to anyone who subscribed in the last few weeks. (I'll need to get those addresses if any from Manglu.)

Website sending is still having problems so we're not doing that yet.

Advance warning that there may be a delay with this week's Newsletter as there are some renewal payment issues that I was not aware of when I took over and need to get sorted out before it can be sent - alternatively we may be able to get mailing through the ACF website up and running.

Thanks for the heads-up, Kev.

Have hit send on Newsletter 13/03 but at this stage the delivery process is slower than before and, all going well, people will receive them sometime overnight.

At this stage about 5% of the subscriber base should have received them if all is working OK.

If, say, five people could just reply that they've got theirs (when they do) that would be helpful. Ta.

Huge thanks to Manglu for his tech support on this - will save the ACF money and make co-ordinating the subscriber list and eventually the web archiving much easier.

CC International Master William AS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Have hit send on Newsletter 13/03 but at this stage the delivery process is slower than before and, all going well, people will receive them sometime overnight.

At this stage about 5% of the subscriber base should have received them if all is working OK.

If, say, five people could just reply that they've got theirs (when they do) that would be helpful. Ta.

Huge thanks to Manglu for his tech support on this - will save the ACF money and make co-ordinating the subscriber list and eventually the web archiving much easier.
    Mine turned up ok.
    A wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him. Niccolo Machiavelli (14691527), Il Principe (The Prince)

A wise prince will also realise that this can be achieved more successfully by means other than rape, pillage, greed, lies, deceit or misinformation.

Thanks William. Currently about 45% sent so at the current rate I'd be expecting some time in the next 3-4 hours for the rest.

Mine hasn't showed up yet.
    meep meep

Thread Information