Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Issue 12/12 is on its way. Took about five hours and I was probably asleep when I started so hopefully not too many gremlins.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Issue 12/12 is on its way. Took about five hours and I was probably asleep when I started so hopefully not too many gremlins.
    As long as you were awake when you finished it it's OK!

Quote Originally Posted by ACF newsletter
    (Many computers will have a free graphics program such as Paint that can crop and resize pictures with ease. If you don't know how, you may well know someone who does, or Google search for instructions.)
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ACF newsletter
    (That is, unless the world ends on 21 Dec as expected by believers in debunked strands of Mayan-related eschatology.)
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ACF
    James Satrapa (ACT) has done much to correct misleading claims about the Carlsen rating records on Chessbase and is the source of the Kasparov live rating figures given here.
    You wouldn't miss the opportunity would you? BTW thanks to gremlins you neglected to provide the link so serves you right!

All in all a formidable piece of work with lots of interesting information and announcements (such as Kerry's nomination) and Anastasia's letter one of the highlights!
    Last edited by ER; 12-12-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    BTW thanks to gremlins you neglected to provide the link so serves you right!
    Nah, I just thought it wasn't necessary. But here's an example: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8681

(Actually Satrapa provided a link to calculations on a Norwegian website that may have got it right first.)

Nah, I just thought it wasn't necessary...
    haha try again pal, if that was the case why would you need the here for?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

haha try again pal, if that was the case why would you need the here for?
    You try again! By "here" in that case I simply meant "in this report", referring to what I had said above and not to a link!

Quote Originally Posted by what you published in the newsletter
    Carlsen To Become Highest-Rated Player Ever

Magnus Carlsen has just won the London Classic with five wins and three draws from eight games for a score of 18 points under the 3-1-0 scoring system. As a result, Carlsen is set to become the highest FIDE-rated player in history with a rating of 2861 in the Jan 1 FIDE rating list, surpassing Gary Kasparov's record of 2851. (That is, unless the world ends on 21 Dec as expected by believers in debunked strands of Mayan-related eschatology.)

When Carlsen defeated Gawain Jones in round 4, he broke Kasparov's record for the highest ever unofficial “live rating”, which was previously either 2856.7 or 2855.9 depending on calculation method. The record now stands at 2863.6, which was Carlsen's “live rating” after his round 6 win against Judith Polgar. It is also notable that Carlsen will now hold a lead of over 50 points over his nearest pursuer, who will now be Vladimir Kramnik. After overtaking Levon Aronian's live rating (under 3-1-0, 8/8 isn't such a great result!), Kramnik joked that he was now the strongest human player.

James Satrapa (ACT) has done much to correct misleading claims about the Carlsen rating records on Chessbase and is the source of the Kasparov live rating figures given here.
    that could stand as an excuse if you had added a specific link or some other specific reference such as Chessbase's title of the article etc that could justify the usage of here! You didn't! So by adding here you meant to add the speficic link which you didn't!
    Last edited by ER; 12-12-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

that could stand as an excuse if you had added a specific link or some other specific reference such as Chessbase's title of the article etc that could justify the usage of here! You didn't! So by adding here you meant to add the speficic link which you didn't!
    No, you are still not getting it. My use of "here" refers to my article not to Chessbase's. It means exactly the same as if I had written:

"James Satrapa (ACT) has done much to correct misleading claims about the Carlsen rating records on Chessbase and is the source of the Kasparov live rating figures given above".

In that case it would have made no sense to put a hyperlink on "above" as my comment would be linking to itself.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Your excuse could stand if the report didn't include Kasparov rating data. Since these ratings were included in the report there was no need to send the reader elsewhere for this information and therefore the usage of "here" to mean literally "in the newsletter" is perfectly consistent.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

No, you are still not getting it. My use of "here" refers to my article not to Chessbase's. It means exactly the same as if I had written:

"James Satrapa (ACT) has done much to correct misleading claims about the Carlsen rating records on Chessbase and is the source of the Kasparov live rating figures given above".

In that case it would have made no sense to put a hyperlink on "above" as my comment would be linking to itself.
    no no no

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Your excuse could stand if the report didn't include Kasparov rating data. Since these ratings were included in the report there was no need to send the reader elsewhere for this information and therefore the usage of "here" to mean literally "in the newsletter" is perfectly consistent.
    no no no

The point here is not Kasparov's rating data which was known for years before Magnus broke the record.

The point / key phrase here where here is used as here without a link and not as here with a missing link is the misleading claims in Kevin's article.

There is not a single reference in Kevin's article of how Satrapa's involvement in the matter revealed or debunked those "misleading claims"!

Look at the whole thing as an independent reader who hasn't followed the story so far.

Don't you think that it would be necessary for him/her to be aware of the source be it chessbase or chesschat or whatever else could be available to him/her if Kevins "here" was followed by the missing link?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

The point here is not Kasparov's rating data which was known for years before Magnus broke the record.
    Not his exact live rating record, which is what I was referring to. When I first became interested in the question of Kasparov's live rating record, months ago, I was not able to find a figure online anywhere and had to find an approximation myself.

My general impression of your latest post is that it's just incoherent sledging created for the sake of having a go at me either for the fun of it, or out of some misguidedly valiant defence of Peter Parr since I had a (completely justified) go at him.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    \The point / key phrase here where here is used as here without a link and not as here with a missing link is the misleading claims in Kevin's article.
    Firstly, perhaps you are unaware but "here" is a perfectly well-defined English word which has a long history, predating the rise of hyper-linking.

The final sentence cites Satrapa in two ways but the grammatical structure of that sentence gives no credence to the view that "given here" relates to the debunking on Chessbase but the phrase in question acts solely to acknowledge Satrapa as the source of rating data used in the newsletter article itself.

As has already been pointed out, there are some fine points which affect the numerical value of Kasparov's record and that is also mentioned in the newsletter item.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

I'm more concerned whether the world will end on 21 December. If so, there is no point in buying Christmas presents or in making arrangements to go to the ACF National Conference.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Posts moved

Posts that were entirely or partly off-topic have been moved here.

Normally I would keep a partly on-topic post on the parent thread but in this case I rule that the off-topic part of the post caused the tangent through an irrelevant and unnecessary personal attack (not on me). However if JaK wants to make a wholly on-topic contribution repeating the relevant moved points he is welcome to.

If you want to discuss this decision do so on the moderation discussion thread; any discussion posted to this thread will be deleted.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Posts moved

Posts that were entirely or partly off-topic have been moved here....
    Is that "here" as in a link or "here" as in above?

Seriously, five hours is quite an effort - well done.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

At the ACF Council meeting on the 9 Jan I agreed to continue editing the newsletter on a longer-term basis so I am now Newsletter Editor, minus the Acting, and hence a regular ACF officebearer in that capacity.

An issue is now scheduled to be released at an unknowable time this Tuesday (15 Jan). Submissions emailed to auschessnews@gmail.com are open up til midnight Monday 14 Jan, but strictly no later.

If anyone would like to nominate just a few key Aus Open games to put in the games section I'd appreciate that. Cheng-Khenkin obviously but I'm sure there are quite a few others of note.

Thread Information