Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Which were not the submitter's fault.

Issue 12/11A just being emailed out. Hope there aren't too many ghastly blunders in it, and apologies for the formatting being inconsistent as hell again, I just don't have enough time to iron out all the cosmetics!
    Got your email thanks Kevin. Again looks good.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Got your email thanks Kevin. Again looks good.
    Jonathan. please send me a copy as I haven't received mine!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    If this is your ISP blocking it again then it's time you got a new ISP. It's one thing that your current blocks iinet from time to time but for it to also block the ACF newsletter is a bigger problem.

You've talked about communication often enough and if you're going to be ACF President then you'll need to actually be able to receive people's emails easily instead of communications to you being continually interrupted by your ISP's hypersensitivity to suspected spam, which creates inconvenience to those attempting to communicate with you.

careful Brian!

... You've talked about communication often enough and if you're going to be ACF President then you'll need to actually be able to receive people's emails easily ...
    Careful Brian he said if and not when!

BTW you must be the only person in ACF Newsletter's list who doesn't receive it!

you really need to fix your address mate!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    BTW you must be the only person in ACF Newsletter's list who doesn't receive it!
    Not quite. There's been one other one so far.

About to do that now.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

If this is your ISP blocking it again then it's time you got a new ISP. It's one thing that your current blocks iinet from time to time but for it to also block the ACF newsletter is a bigger problem.

You've talked about communication often enough and if you're going to be ACF President then you'll need to actually be able to receive people's emails easily instead of communications to you being continually interrupted by your ISP's hypersensitivity to suspected spam, which creates inconvenience to those attempting to communicate with you.
    FACTS.

1. I have had no problems in the past receiving the ACF Newsletter from Ian Rout and earlier editors.

2. I have three different email addresses currently registered to receive the ACF Newsletter.

3. I use a well-known Australian ISP that is paid to block suspect email sources.

4. No emails sent by Kevin Bonham currently get through to me.

QUESTION

1. Why are emails from Kevin Bonham currently being blocked by my ISP?
    Last edited by Brian_Jones; 30-11-2012 at 08:35 AM.

I receive it no problem.
    meep meep

There would be no problem if the newsletter was posted on the ACF website at http://www.auschess.org.au/bulletins/acfbt.htm

False. It is only emails sent by me via iinet that you don't get. You receive emails I send you from two different gmail addresses. However when I tried to use one of them to forward the ACF Newsletter, those emails weren't received.

QUESTION

But it is not just emails from me, and nor is it all emails from me (as above). The problems thus far are with all of (i) iinet, but not necessarily all iinet addresses (ii) YMLP (iii) forwards of YMLP material from auschessnews@gmail.com. The ACF newsletters that you are not getting are not sent by my email address. They are sent by the Your Mailing List Provider website which is exactly what Ian used as well - someone other than me could send them the same way and I believe your ISP would still block them. It appears that your ISP has started also suspecting YMLP of being spam as well as some iinet addresses, and blocked it when during previous editorships it did not do so. Indeed it accepted one email from YMLP at a time when it was blocking my email.

Furthermore the reserve emails you were using had the problem that they simply funnelled to your main one which then blocked things the same way. But obviously your ISP is not blocking everything sent from my computer since you can receive what I send you via gmail.

You need to contact your ISP and get them to fix it or else get a new ISP. Just because it is a common Australian ISP doesn't mean it's not delivering bad service. Spam is annoying but not being able to receive email from multiple sources you need to communicate with is much worse. I receive plenty of spam because I put my email address on the web all over the place, and my ISP's spam blocking doesn't catch all of it, but I would rather put up with the spam than have people unable to contact me readily.

(And yes I've asked the new Webmaster to work on putting the Newsletters up. At least I know he has worked successfully on doing this for the redesign of the site which is his main priority.)
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 30-11-2012 at 11:30 AM.

FACTS.

1. I have had no problems in the past receiving the ACF Newsletter from Ian Rout and earlier editors.

2. I have three different email addresses currently registered to receive the ACF Newsletter.

3. I use a well-known Australian ISP that is paid to block suspect email sources.

QUESTION

The ACF Newsletter is distributed via Your Mailing List Provider, a mailing list distributer located overseas. The fact that Kevin composes the newsletter is irrelevant. YMLP was used first by me when I acted as editor for a time, by Stephen Cannings, when he and I worked on it jointly and then by Ian Rout. None of us had problems of this kind so the problem lies elsewhere. When you register on the ACF website, the information goes direct to YMLP and is accessible on their site by the editor using the appropriate user name and password.

DJ

PS: A correction: I once dropped off the list for no apparent reason when Ian R was editor but simply re-registered and there has been no further problem.
    Last edited by Denis_Jessop; 30-11-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: PS added
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC International Master
    I used to run YMLP in Firefox as it had problems with IE. However the problems related to making it send at all rather than with individual addresses so that probably isn't the issue, but it might be worth trying another browser to see what happens.

Is it possible to turn off the spam filter or view the undigested mail in some way, e.g. by webmail, to determine whether the mail is being filtered or is not arriving at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    I used to run YMLP in Firefox as it had problems with IE. However the problems related to making it send at all rather than with individual addresses so that probably isn't the issue, but it might be worth trying another browser to see what happens.

Is it possible to turn off the spam filter or view the undigested mail in some way, e.g. by webmail, to determine whether the mail is being filtered or is not arriving at all?
    I used Firefox from a Mac with no problems.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    I used to run YMLP in Firefox as it had problems with IE.
    I am also running it in Firefox.

Newsletter is primary official communication method - read it!

I'd just like to make this crystal clear, because the Arbiter Licence issue has shown that some people have either not been subscribed to or have not been reading their Newsletters.

The ACF email Newsletter, when operative, is the ACF's primary official means of communicating information to players and administrators.

It is therefore officially my expectation that administrators and players who the ACF may have reason to send general announcements to will subscribe to the Newsletter and will at least skim it quickly to check if there is anything in it that they need to know in the Notices section which is typically at the top. In the case of people on club committees, I expect that they will make sure their clubmates are aware of important info within the Newsletter.

Where chessplayers or clubs experience inconvenience because they are not aware of something that was published in the Newsletter in a timely fashion, this is not the ACF's responsibility.

You can subscribe to the Newsletter on the right hand side at http://auschess.org.au/acf/

Please pass this on to anybody else who needs to know!

Kevin Bonham
    ACF Vice-President
    Acting ACF Newsletter Editor.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 03-12-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Thread Information