CC Candidate Master

Are there any 7-day OTB chess venues in Sydney ?

I want to play over-the-board chess on an ad-hoc basis but cannot commit to any particular day of week. Are there any active communities in Sydney that play OTB every day ?

I read about weekday chess players at Sydney Townhall Square food court. Do they still play there ? Apparently there are also Russians who play at a park close to Burwood train station. (https://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comm...d_cbd_or_east/)

Do people still play giant chess at Hyde Park ? (https://www.weekendnotes.com/nagoya-gardens/)

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by mcooper1970 View Post
    I want to play over-the-board chess on an ad-hoc basis but cannot commit to any particular day of week. Are there any active communities in Sydney that play OTB every day ?

I read about weekday chess players at Sydney Townhall Square food court. Do they still play there ? Apparently there are also Russians who play at a park close to Burwood train station. (https://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comm...d_cbd_or_east/)

Do people still play giant chess at Hyde Park ? (https://www.weekendnotes.com/nagoya-gardens/)
    Walked by the Hyde Park giant set set recently and there were some active games. Saw Joe Rief present.
    Many of the old crowd have passed on: Noel Henderson, Bernie "Taffy" Hopton, Glen Devine, Nick Luchowiak, Serge Rubanraut come to mind.
    When I first came to Sydney the chess tables up near the Pond of Reflection were active day and night except when raining.
    Especially on weekends one could find many of the leading players of the day present.

The banter was often hilarious and provided plenty of entertainment for the onlookers.
    Still remember "The Colonel" bellowing out, whether playing or spectating, "Get those pieces working!".
    Noel, on seeing a passed pawn being created, "Oh look, he's got a brass pawn!".
    Nick's, plaintiff, "Don't check me too hard!".
    "The Man From Omsk" waving his stick and threatening all and sundry whether he was winning or losing.

And the diminutive bird-like Freddie Hugginson who delighted in setting up chess puzzles, 2-movers and 3-movers
    and laughing as "the chess masters" struggled to solve them.
    One day a 3-mover had stumped the assembled talent, which included the current and several past Oz champs, all day.
    Much to Freddie's mirth.
    He was almost lynched towards evening when it was discovered he had set up the initial position wrongly!

Alas, officialdom deemed the collection of chess players and their tables "unsightly and unruly" and the concrete tables
    with inlaid chessboards were demolished.
    The giant set and its environs never recreated the atmosphere of the old area.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjansen View Post
    Walked by the Hyde Park giant set set recently and there were some active games. Saw Joe Rief present.
    Many of the old crowd have passed on: Noel Henderson, Bernie "Taffy" Hopton, Glen Devine, Nick Luchowiak, Serge Rubanraut come to mind.
    When I first came to Sydney the chess tables up near the Pond of Reflection were active day and night except when raining.
    Especially on weekends one could find many of the leading players of the day present.

The banter was often hilarious and provided plenty of entertainment for the onlookers.
    Still remember "The Colonel" bellowing out, whether playing or spectating, "Get those pieces working!".
    Noel, on seeing a passed pawn being created, "Oh look, he's got a brass pawn!".
    Nick's, plaintiff, "Don't check me too hard!".
    "The Man From Omsk" waving his stick and threatening all and sundry whether he was winning or losing.

And the diminutive bird-like Freddie Hugginson who delighted in setting up chess puzzles, 2-movers and 3-movers
    and laughing as "the chess masters" struggled to solve them.
    One day a 3-mover had stumped the assembled talent, which included the current and several past Oz champs, all day.
    Much to Freddie's mirth.
    He was almost lynched towards evening when it was discovered he had set up the initial position wrongly!

Alas, officialdom deemed the collection of chess players and their tables "unsightly and unruly" and the concrete tables
    what better use for a public park could there ever be. I have been attempting in Byron Bay to have erected for ten years, have the promise of three mayors, attended about a dozen seminars on the parks whilst being upgraded and have got exactly nowhere but empty promises. My last stand is coming up shortly.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjansen View Post

Argh. I was reading excitedly for 2 minutes until the last 2 sentences.

I reckon the players at Town Hall Square food court got shut down similarly by building management.

Well at least people are still making use of the giant set - but I think they have to pack it up by 16:00.

Liverpool Plaza seems to have chess players. But those guys have no respect for good quality equipment and bash clocks like it's nobody's business. I think I will get one of those $20 Leap clocks from eBay when playing with old grumpy men.

Loaned my big expensive German garden set and it came back with all boots marks - never make that mistake again
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Thread Information