Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    CC FIDE Master

ACF Official Newsletter (All Players And Administrators Should Subscribe)

I haven't received this newsletter, since I got Number 12/07A.

Am I the only one??

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    (redundant content deleted)

Important - ACF Newsletter Information

All Australian chess players should subscribe to the ACF Newsletter. Australian chess administrators and all players who may be applicants for national selection are especially strongly urged to ensure they are subscribed to the Newsletter and checking it for notices relevant to them every month. If people do not keep themselves in the loop it is their fault if they are not informed and miss out on what they need to know.

Subscribing a new email address

Anyone needing to subscribe from a new email address at any time should go to http://auschess.org.au/acf/ and enter their email address in the space on the bottom right and press Subscribe. Check your email including your junk/spam folders for the confirmation. Note that if you subscribe very late in the month your subscription will probably start from the next month.

Unsubscribe requests

There are unsubscribe links at the bottom of the email.

Delivery time

The ACF Newsletter is delivered monthly at the end of the month.

In some cases (corrections, urgent information etc) there may be additional issues.

Submissions

Submissions should be emailed to auschessnews@gmail.com. The Newsletter is now edited by Frank Low so please contact him regarding the sort of content he is after.

Archiving

Previous issues are archived on the ACF website at http://auschess.org.au/acf/ under the News tab.

Junk Email/Spam Folders

Some email systems will send emails from the newsletter to junk email or spam folders. If you have not received a Newsletter by the end of a calendar month then check your junk email and spam folders for it, and if you find it there and have the option, indicate it as from an approved or non-junk sender. This is the single biggest cause of people "not getting" their copy.

List Culling

To avoid incurring costs, Frank unsubscribes some subscribers who have not opened any of the past several issues. Please make sure you open the Newsletter if you wish to be sure you will keep receiving it.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 27-02-2017 at 09:30 PM.

CC FIDE Master
    (this post was in reply to now removed content - KB)

Thanks for the reply.

He is missed.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 02-03-2017 at 10:43 AM.

(This post concerns out of date searches for new editors - KB)

A few things for people who might like the position to bear in mind:

1. As Ian found it is quite hard getting people to send in information as many people prefer to just post something once on a forum/website/facebook etc and therefore to do a really good job the Editor will benefit if they can find the time to scour this forum and other sources (or else find some way to encourage more people to send stuff in.)

2. Some Newsletter Editors have had successes in generating advertising income. The ACF has in the past sometimes permitted Newsletter Editors who generate advertising income to keep a large portion of it as a form of honorarium. If someone wanted to make an offer of this sort I'm sure it would be considered.

3. The ACF sometimes bans certain individuals, sites or material from being mentioned in the Newsletter. Anyone taking on the position must be happy to follow such requests.

4. The Newsletter Editor should use good judgement in deciding whether or not to print the rantings of the Matthew Sweeneys of this world.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 20-10-2017 at 10:36 PM.

(Also out of date - etc)

I have made this a sticky thread until such time as a new Editor is appointed or the matter resolved some other way.

Anyone interested in being the new ACF Newsletter Editor should send an expression of interest to the ACF Secretary Tom Accola (tomaccola@optusnet.com.au) copied to the ACF President Gary Wastell (gwastell@netspace.net.au). There is no deadline for applying and the position may be filled at any time.

Any expression of interest should explain the applicant's background in chess (unless it would already be well known), and any other relevant background, and explain why they think they would be suitable for the position of Newsletter Editor. Past samples of the Newsletter can be viewed here:

http://www.auschess.org.au/bulletins/acfbt.htm

(Note that this is not an official formal call for expressions of interest, but the position is vacant and the ACF is seeking to fill it, so I did indicate to the rest of the Exec that I would post about the matter on here if no-one objected.)
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 20-10-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Sorry to hear that Ian Rout has resigned. He did an excellent job. Best wishes to his successor, whoever it is.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

I've agreed to attempt to take over on a temporary and rough basis, as it is taking too long to find a long-term replacement. It will take me a little while to get up to speed (assuming that my complete ignorance of all things HTML does not prove a fatal barrier) and when I have a better idea of the schedule I will post a call for items. Don't expect quality layout but do expect an attempt to get the email flow of information going again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I've agreed to attempt to take over on a temporary and rough basis, as it is taking too long to find a long-term replacement. It will take me a little while to get up to speed (assuming that my complete ignorance of all things HTML does not prove a fatal barrier) and when I have a better idea of the schedule I will post a call for items. Don't expect quality layout but do expect an attempt to get the email flow of information going again.
    Best wishes for this new responsibility, Kevin. There is a lot of stuff on the internet that can teach you the basics of HTML pretty quickly.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

I’ve received information from Ian on how to run the Newsletter, and successfully sent myself a test mailing of a previous edition which confirmed that I can edit and save versions myself without apparent problems, though some may always emerge later on.

On that basis my current intention is:

* A “catchup edition” which I will aim to release on Monday. Anything anyone has for that should be sent ASAP, with an absolutely strict deadline of Sunday midnight.

* The next edition after that to be scheduled for release on Tues Nov 6 with deadline Fri Nov 2.

Please send items for the Newsletter to auschessnews@gmail.com and not to my personal email address. Especially do not PM them to me on this site.

Please feel free to pass this notice on to anyone else who might have items.

I reserve the right not to publish contentious or unsuitable material at my absolute discretion. Where this happens, no offline correspondence will be entered into.

Kevin Bonham
    ACF Acting Newsletter Editor

CC FIDE Master
    Thanks, Kevin.

Aiming for release late Monday night at the moment.

Issue sent, such as it is.

CC FIDE Master
    Received... A very nice reunion...

Likely to be a top-up in a few days or early next week since I forgot one item and some others will probably come up. So anything that reaches me by Thursday night will make it for the topup.

A reminder: please send items for the Newsletter to auschessnews@gmail.com and not to my personal email address. Especially do not PM them to me on this site. I get dozens of emails per day to my personal address and at busy times I can lose track of stuff sent there.

I think that for a non-HTML expert Kevin has done very well. The issue is up to the high standard of presentation set by Ian Rout. Well done KB! I hope you got some sleep after the after 4 am emailing!

Thread Information