Chess Chat Corro Tournament #10

Welcome to CC tournament #10.

There are currently five entrants:

Beaker
    road runner
    Kaitlin
    stevenaaus
    Zwischenzug

Time control: Three days (72 hours exactly) per move. Each player is allowed three time-outs per game. A timeout adds four days to the time available for that move. A player can declare they're taking a timeout for a move on the game thread, or failing that, if a player does not move in time a timeout will be taken automatically. If a player does not move in time and they have run out of timeouts then the game is lost.

A player gets an extra timeout after playing move 40, and another every 20 moves from that point on.

Entries still open: Up to two extra entries will be accepted during the next two weeks. Anyone interested in entering should post their entry to this thread.

Withdrawals: Players who lose on time in more than half their games will be removed from the event and points scored against them by other players will not count. Any player who does this will not be included in any tournament I run again.

No 'puters: This is not a freestyle tournament. Use of analysis engines and computer/online tablebases is not permitted.

Playing on other sites: Two players may agree to play their game(s) on another server. In this case players are responsible for reporting the results to the Cross Table thread when the game is finished, and for resolving any disputes that might arise between themselves.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 08-09-2012 at 06:24 AM.

I suggest 3 timeouts for the first 40 moves, and an extra one for each 20 moves incrementally thereafter.
    meep meep

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner
    I suggest 3 timeouts for the first 40 moves, and an extra one for each 20 moves incrementally thereafter.
    Agreed.

Can people please be more careful with making correct and legal moves - can forgive 1 or 2 but this is ridiculous.
    meep meep

Seconded - and just to be clear on this in case it happens, a move isn't counted as having been made in time until it is legal and clear. So if someone makes an illegal or ambiguous move, and doesn't fix it by the time the 3 days they originally had for that move runs out, that's a timeout gone, or if they have no timeouts left, loss of game.

I think someone lost this way in a previous corro tournament here.

As noted elsewhere I'll be away for a few days so I'll update standings if needed and clear up any time issues when I get back.

The tournament is finished. Congratulations to road runner on his comfortable win and thanks very much to all who played.

If I run another one, which probably won't be for a fair while (maybe give it 6 months or so and then see if there is interest) then, in consultation with the entrants, I'll probably bring in staggered starting times for games so that players don't have to start all their games at the same time. We have always had all games starting at the same time in the past but I do not see why it is really necessary, especially with 3 days/move as opposed to week/move.

Congrats to roadrunner who was far too strong and solid.

Thanks to everybody who participated.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

Thanks also go to kevin for giving up his time to run the show.

Cheers.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

Yes thanks Kevin for running it.

I guess it looks like I ran away with it up but many of the games were hard fought. At one stage I would have settled for 1 out of 2 against steven and I think my games against zwish were the most competitive we've had in our several tournaments here - I know I was sweating in both of them anyway. Ditto for Kaitlin, easily the most competitive games I've had vs her. Beaker probably unlucky in that he ran into a French line I know pretty well, and in the other game he successfully trapped my queen but I was able to get more than enough wood for it.

Good games, hope we do it again sometime.
    meep meep

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Yes, thanks everyone. Games were fun, and I learnt something about chess playing this long time control.

Thread Information