Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Fewer mismatches now (Round 4).

Fiji drew 2-2 with South Korea.

PNG went down 1.5-2.5 to Cinese Taipei.

Palau scored 0.5 v Hong Kong.

Good chances of wins for Oceania in Round 5!

CC International Master

Go Palau!

Palau scored 0.5 v Hong Kong.

Congratulations to Palua Team!

After losing all games to Qatar,Iraq and Hong Kong Team form Palau have scored in their first Olympiad!

CC International Master

Palau wins their first ever match at Olympiad!

Congratulations to Palau on their first ever win!!!

US Virgin Islands - Palau 1½:2½

Massana, Jorge 2186 - Hernandez, Roberto 1875 ½ - ½
    Van Rensselaer, William - Manuel, Elizabeth 1 - 0
    Mongiello, Anthony - Garcia, Bernardo 1663 0 - 1
    Smith, Michael 1596 - Manuel, Menandro 1922 0 - 1

CC Grandmaster
    Palau won the match by winning a completely drawn pawn endgame in the final game. It is always fun to watch 1600 rated players playing in the global events, reminds of African skiers at winter Ollympics .

The real good news is that Australia won! The team applears to be plaing a bit erractically but is doing not so badly overall beating everyone who is seeded below them and drawing with slightly higher seeded Norway. Loss to Mongolia was a bit sad though, but then again - win against Pakistan was very lucky.

Now its FYROM they are playing next - the best pairing of all of the possible pairings available in this score group. Fyrom is ranked 49th with the next lowest rated team in the upper half of the group being ranked 29th or so. Hopefully Aus will do well!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by leonid Sandler
    Congratulations to Palau on their first ever win!!!

US Virgin Islands - Palau 1½:2½

Massana, Jorge 2186 - Hernandez, Roberto 1875 ½ - ½
    Van Rensselaer, William - Manuel, Elizabeth 1 - 0
    Mongiello, Anthony - Garcia, Bernardo 1663 0 - 1
    Smith, Michael 1596 - Manuel, Menandro 1922 0 - 1
    Hearty congrats to Palau! Their board one player is a nice guy who I have corresponded with.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Palau won the match by winning a completely drawn pawn endgame in the final game. It is always fun to watch 1600 rated players playing in the global events, reminds of African skiers at winter Ollympics .

The real good news is that Australia won! The team applears to be plaing a bit erractically but is doing not so badly overall beating everyone who is seeded below them and drawing with slightly higher seeded Norway. Loss to Mongolia was a bit sad though, but then again - win against Pakistan was very lucky.

Now its FYROM they are playing next - the best pairing of all of the possible pairings available in this score group. Fyrom is ranked 49th with the next lowest rated team in the upper half of the group being ranked 29th or so. Hopefully Aus will do well!
    in case anyone else like me wondered about FYROM - former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Pairings for Round 6 on Monday (Sunday is a a rest day!)

Open

FYROM 7 (13.5) v Australia 7 (11.5)
    New Zealand 4 (8) v Faroe Islands 4 (9)
    Fiji 3 (6.5) v Andorra 3 (7)
    San Marino 2 (4.5) v PNG 2 (6.5)
    Bermuda 1 (6) v Palau 2 (3)

Women

Australia 4 (9.5) v Paraquay 4 (8)
    New Zealand 3 (7.5) v Yemen 3 (5.5)
    Fiji 1 (2) v Pakistan 1 (4)

Final round pairings:

OPEN

Slovakia 13 (25) v Australia 13 (22.5)
    Zimbabwe 9 (20) v New Zealand 9 (18)
    Sao Tome 6 (14) v PNG 6 (13)
    San Marino 5 (13) v Palau 5 (11.5)
    Burundi 0 (3.5) v Fiji 5 (12.5)

WOMEN

Netherlands 12 (24) v Australia 12 (23)
    Paraquay 9 (18.5) v New Zealand 9 (20)
    Fiji 6 (13) v Kenya 6 (15)

Round starts early today (in three hours time!)

Good luck to all the Oceania teams.

CC FIDE Master
    "Palau won the match by winning a completely drawn pawn endgame in the final game. It is always fun to watch 1600 rated players playing in the global events, reminds of African skiers at winter Ollympics"

ROFL...

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    "Palau won the match by winning a completely drawn pawn endgame in the final game. It is always fun to watch 1600 rated players playing in the global events, reminds of African skiers at winter Ollympics"

ROFL...
    Thats why its important to get citizenship in the ''right country'' and every 2 years a trip to ollympics will await! Shall I got for Palau or PNG or Fiji? . Nz appears to be the coolest but given the declining state of my Chess - I will probably start missing the NZ team entry cut after some years but I can play for Palau for as long as I live as long as I still remember how the piece move
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC FIDE Master
    Thats why its important to get citizenship in the ''right country'' and every 2 years a trip to ollympics will await! Shall I got for Palau or PNG or Fiji? . Nz appears to be the coolest but given the declining state of my Chess - I will probably start missing the NZ team entry cut after some years but I can play for Palau for as long as I live as long as I still remember how the piece move
    Michael,

You won't be able to play for Palau as such as there is going to be some matters that myself and the Palau Chess Federation are addressing and that is even maybe making some cuts to the team due o other reasons that will be of benefit for the federation.

lost

I made the NZ team twice with a twenty year gap in between (plus the team is close to fielding one or two veterans these days) so, assuming NZ citizenship and occasional activity in NZ, I'm confident you are a cert for the NZ line-up for a while yet
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

Thread Information