Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,055
    Fewer mismatches now (Round 4).

    Fiji drew 2-2 with South Korea.

    PNG went down 1.5-2.5 to Cinese Taipei.

    Palau scored 0.5 v Hong Kong.

    Good chances of wins for Oceania in Round 5!

  2. #17
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,116

    Go Palau!

    Palau scored 0.5 v Hong Kong.

    Congratulations to Palua Team!

    After losing all games to Qatar,Iraq and Hong Kong Team form Palau have scored in their first Olympiad!

  3. #18
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,116

    Palau wins their first ever match at Olympiad!

    Congratulations to Palau on their first ever win!!!

    US Virgin Islands - Palau 1½:2½

    Massana, Jorge 2186 - Hernandez, Roberto 1875 ½ - ½
    Van Rensselaer, William - Manuel, Elizabeth 1 - 0
    Mongiello, Anthony - Garcia, Bernardo 1663 0 - 1
    Smith, Michael 1596 - Manuel, Menandro 1922 0 - 1

  4. #19
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,345
    Palau won the match by winning a completely drawn pawn endgame in the final game. It is always fun to watch 1600 rated players playing in the global events, reminds of African skiers at winter Ollympics .

    The real good news is that Australia won! The team applears to be plaing a bit erractically but is doing not so badly overall beating everyone who is seeded below them and drawing with slightly higher seeded Norway. Loss to Mongolia was a bit sad though, but then again - win against Pakistan was very lucky.

    Now its FYROM they are playing next - the best pairing of all of the possible pairings available in this score group. Fyrom is ranked 49th with the next lowest rated team in the upper half of the group being ranked 29th or so. Hopefully Aus will do well!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  5. #20
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    8,660
    Quote Originally Posted by leonid Sandler
    Congratulations to Palau on their first ever win!!!

    US Virgin Islands - Palau 1½:2½

    Massana, Jorge 2186 - Hernandez, Roberto 1875 ½ - ½
    Van Rensselaer, William - Manuel, Elizabeth 1 - 0
    Mongiello, Anthony - Garcia, Bernardo 1663 0 - 1
    Smith, Michael 1596 - Manuel, Menandro 1922 0 - 1
    Hearty congrats to Palau! Their board one player is a nice guy who I have corresponded with.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  6. #21
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    8,660
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Palau won the match by winning a completely drawn pawn endgame in the final game. It is always fun to watch 1600 rated players playing in the global events, reminds of African skiers at winter Ollympics .

    The real good news is that Australia won! The team applears to be plaing a bit erractically but is doing not so badly overall beating everyone who is seeded below them and drawing with slightly higher seeded Norway. Loss to Mongolia was a bit sad though, but then again - win against Pakistan was very lucky.

    Now its FYROM they are playing next - the best pairing of all of the possible pairings available in this score group. Fyrom is ranked 49th with the next lowest rated team in the upper half of the group being ranked 29th or so. Hopefully Aus will do well!
    in case anyone else like me wondered about FYROM - former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  7. #22
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,055
    Pairings for Round 6 on Monday (Sunday is a a rest day!)

    Open

    FYROM 7 (13.5) v Australia 7 (11.5)
    New Zealand 4 (8) v Faroe Islands 4 (9)
    Fiji 3 (6.5) v Andorra 3 (7)
    San Marino 2 (4.5) v PNG 2 (6.5)
    Bermuda 1 (6) v Palau 2 (3)

    Women

    Australia 4 (9.5) v Paraquay 4 (8)
    New Zealand 3 (7.5) v Yemen 3 (5.5)
    Fiji 1 (2) v Pakistan 1 (4)

  8. #23
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,055
    Final round pairings:

    OPEN

    Slovakia 13 (25) v Australia 13 (22.5)
    Zimbabwe 9 (20) v New Zealand 9 (18)
    Sao Tome 6 (14) v PNG 6 (13)
    San Marino 5 (13) v Palau 5 (11.5)
    Burundi 0 (3.5) v Fiji 5 (12.5)

    WOMEN

    Netherlands 12 (24) v Australia 12 (23)
    Paraquay 9 (18.5) v New Zealand 9 (20)
    Fiji 6 (13) v Kenya 6 (15)

    Round starts early today (in three hours time!)

  9. #24
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    8,660
    Good luck to all the Oceania teams.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  10. #25
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    632
    "Palau won the match by winning a completely drawn pawn endgame in the final game. It is always fun to watch 1600 rated players playing in the global events, reminds of African skiers at winter Ollympics"

    ROFL...

  11. #26
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,345
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    "Palau won the match by winning a completely drawn pawn endgame in the final game. It is always fun to watch 1600 rated players playing in the global events, reminds of African skiers at winter Ollympics"

    ROFL...
    Thats why its important to get citizenship in the ''right country'' and every 2 years a trip to ollympics will await! Shall I got for Palau or PNG or Fiji? . Nz appears to be the coolest but given the declining state of my Chess - I will probably start missing the NZ team entry cut after some years but I can play for Palau for as long as I live as long as I still remember how the piece move
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  12. #27
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Thats why its important to get citizenship in the ''right country'' and every 2 years a trip to ollympics will await! Shall I got for Palau or PNG or Fiji? . Nz appears to be the coolest but given the declining state of my Chess - I will probably start missing the NZ team entry cut after some years but I can play for Palau for as long as I live as long as I still remember how the piece move
    Michael,

    You won't be able to play for Palau as such as there is going to be some matters that myself and the Palau Chess Federation are addressing and that is even maybe making some cuts to the team due o other reasons that will be of benefit for the federation.

    lost

  13. #28
    CC Grandmaster Tony Dowden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    2,522
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Thats why its important to get citizenship in the ''right country'' and every 2 years a trip to ollympics will await! Shall I got for Palau or PNG or Fiji? . Nz appears to be the coolest but given the declining state of my Chess - I will probably start missing the NZ team entry cut after some years but I can play for Palau for as long as I live as long as I still remember how the piece move
    I made the NZ team twice with a twenty year gap in between (plus the team is close to fielding one or two veterans these days) so, assuming NZ citizenship and occasional activity in NZ, I'm confident you are a cert for the NZ line-up for a while yet
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

    "You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Olympiad 2012 in Istanbul (Aug 27 - Sep 10)
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 17-09-2012, 12:58 PM
  2. Istanbul Olympiad 2012
    By heligan in forum New Zealand Chess
    Replies: 163
    Last Post: 13-09-2012, 08:06 AM
  3. Tournaments for September 2012 ACF Ratings
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30-08-2012, 09:43 PM
  4. Olympiad Appeal - Aust Teams Travel to Istanbul 2012
    By Ian Murray in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 29-08-2012, 12:33 PM
  5. Tournaments for June 2012 ACF Ratings
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 31-05-2012, 12:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •