Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Maybe I have a completely wrong perspective on things with regard to the Olympiad? Maybe I should be so absorbed in Olympiad selections like everybody else appears to be?

With the Olympiad, I notice that there are endless posts on selections, but NOTHING has been said about things like sponsorship. Why is this the case? I would have thought that by now someone like Jason Lyons would have secured sponsorship for the 2004 Olympiad team (like what happened in 2002), yet I have heard nothing in this regard.

Prior to the 2002 Bled Olympiad, there were regular updates via the ACF email Bulletin (about once every 5 issues) of a list of donors who had contributed to the Olympiad Fund. Yet I have seen NOTHING this year in the ACF email Bulletins! Its not that I want to "see my name up in lights", rather I think there should be a recognition (a way of saying "thankyou") of people who have contributed (which in turn would encourage others to make contributions).

Why does the NSWCA (and presumably other State Organisations) have on their Membership Renewal form the option of donating to the Olympiad Fund?

Six months ago I sent a cheque for $50 payable to the ACF for them to use this $50 in any way they sought fit (with a strong suggestion that it be put towards the Olympiad Fund). I did not send it to the ACF Treasurer, but made the mistake (as it turns out) of posting it to someone else in the ACF. Needless to say, this cheque has STILL not yet been deposited by the ACF (despite 3 email reminders from me to get it banked).

I suggest that the ACF make the most of the $75 ($125 in the unlikely event that the $50 cheque I posted in March and sent 3 email reminders about ever gets deposited) that I have contributed to the 2004 Olympiad, as it will almost certainly be the LAST contribution I make towards the Olympiad Fund!
    Last edited by Paul S; 19-09-2004 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    I would have thought that by now someone like Jason Lyons would have secured sponsorship for the 2004 Olympiad team (like what happened in 2002), yet I have heard nothing in this regard.
    Why do you have this expectation? As far as I know, jase doesn't work for the ACF.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Why do you have this expectation? As far as I know, jase doesn't work for the ACF.

AR
    I was using Jason as an example, rather than specifically "picking on him". I used Jason as an example because of his success in getting sponsorship for the 2002 Olympiad team.

If sponsorship was obtained in 2002, I can't see why there shouldn't be sponsorship for the 2004 Olympiad team. I am surprised that there has been no mention of 2004 Olympiad sponsorship by now.

Also, if in 2002 a regularly updated list of chess players who donated to the Olympiad would be listed in the ACF Bulletin (ie publicly thanked and act as an encouragement for others to contribute, which I think is important given the stinginess of a lot of chess players) then I can't see why this has not been done for 2004.

I was under the impression that the 2002 sponsorship was of great assistance in sending the team to Bled. If this is the case, then where is the money coming from to enable Australia to send the 2004 team to Spain? An increase in ACF rating fees for 2005?
    Last edited by Paul S; 19-09-2004 at 01:03 AM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I was under the impression that the 2002 sponsorship was of great assistance in sending the team to Bled. If this is the case, then where is the money coming from to enable Australia to send the 2004 team to Spain? An increase in ACF rating fees for 2005?
    I believe the usual practice is that the Olympiad Appeal is distributed among the players and then any shortfall is paid by the players themselves, including through any individual sponsorships they obtain (I know at least one player has one of these). I'm not sure if it's normal for ACF capital to be broken into, but others might know better.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Paddington, in between Sydney city and Bondi Beach
    I would have thought that by now someone like Jason Lyons would have secured sponsorship for the 2004 Olympiad team (like what happened in 2002), yet I have heard nothing in this regard.
    I suggest that the ACF make the most of the $75 ($125 in the unlikely event that the $50 cheque I posted in March and sent 3 email reminders about ever gets deposited) that I have contributed to the 2004 Olympiad, as it will almost certainly be the LAST contribution I make towards the Olympiad Fund!
    Paulie I am sorry that you feel this way. The Olympiad is my favorite chess event and the teams always greatly appreciate the support they receive from the chess community.

Amiel and Kevin are correct when they write that I am not involved this time around. My application to continue as Captain of the Women's team was unsuccessful, so the task of raising funds and managing the teams falls to Leonid and Manuel this time.

Whilst I was very successful in securing sponsorship in 2002, it is a difficult thing and there is no guarantee that I would have been able to match or better those efforts of 2 years ago. I am sure that the appropriate people are doing their best to ensure that we are able to send our strongest team.

The Women's team especially looks very strong on paper - I think they have the potential to challenge some of the top 10 teams.

I have instead thrown my energies into theatre, and am performing down at the Bondi Pavillion this month. Some chess players have been threatening to get a group together but they are yet to materialise. Info on this thread: http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1034

So don't be too despondent Paul - the teams really do appreciate your contributions and hopefully the captains will ensure due recognition and updates of team preparations, updates from the venue, and all that jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by jase
    Paulie I am sorry that you feel this way. The Olympiad is my favorite chess event and the teams always greatly appreciate the support they receive from the chess community.

So don't be too despondent Paul - the teams really do appreciate your contributions and hopefully the captains will ensure due recognition and updates of team preparations, updates from the venue, and all that jazz.
    In light of Jason's comments I will reconsider my position early next year (when the NSWCA membership forms come out with the option/opportunity to make a contribution to the Olympiad Fund).

Upon reflection I was probably being a bit harsh in my earlier posts. The apparent sloppiness/disinterest regarding Olympiad sponsorship and lack of official appreciation/recognition for chessplayers' contributions is probably a symptom of "the biggest problem in chess" (not enough people doing the chess Admin work) as much as anything else. Also, I guess having our ACF President (and other ACF officials and people associated with the ACF) tied up with Mt Buller obviously means that they cannot spend as much time as they should on their "normal" chess admin duties.

Quote Originally Posted by jase
    . . . the task of raising funds and managing the teams falls to Leonid and Manuel this time.
    Well mate, I - for one - acknowledge your tremendous skill in acquiring sponsorships. Let's pray that this new bloke who replaced you can equal your talents in this regard. The decision to install Sandler came as a bit of a shock to a great many people actually. I wonder what the selectors based their decision on.

AR

Well mate, I - for one - acknowledge your tremendous skill in acquiring sponsorships. Let's pray that this new bloke who replaced you can equal your talents in this regard. The decision to install Sandler came as a bit of a shock to a great many people actually. I wonder what the selectors based their decision on.
    The selectors don't pick the captains - the captains are selected by Council after seeing the stated preferences from the players (which Council tends to follow but is not at all bound to). The applicants are also permitted to lobby Council if they wish.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    Well mate, I - for one - acknowledge your tremendous skill in acquiring sponsorships. Let's pray that this new bloke who replaced you can equal your talents in this regard. The decision to install Sandler came as a bit of a shock to a great many people actually.
    So has either anointed captain made any progress on the sponsorship front? I doubt it.

On a matter of principle, like Paul S, I won't be contributing to the Olympiad Appeal this time. If the players are too stupid that they can't vote in the one captain who can help them, then I refuse to lift a finger to help them.
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 06-10-2004 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kegless
    On a matter of principle, like Paul S, I won't be contributing to the Olympiad Appeal this time. If the players are too stupid that they can't vote in the one captain who can help them, then I refuse to lift a finger to help them.
    The Open team had a choice between Weeks and Sandler. The Women's team had a choice between Sandler, Lee Jones, Drummond and Lyons.

So who selected the captains then - the players?

I'm gonna be like kegless. There's no way I'm contributing anything to this mob. Why turn your back on a fella who made you, how much was it (?), $15k?

AR

$15k?
    I believe it was $17k spread across both teams.

CC FIDE Master
    There is no ACF regulation (as far as I know) that requires the team captains to raise money for the team. Jason, or anyone else, could have volunteered to raise money for the team, even if they hadn't been picked as captain. Of course being a team captain would probably be a strong motivating factor to raise money for the appeal, but the two aren't tightly connected.
    The only attempt that I am aware of to link fund raising with captaincy was a proposal in the late 80's to automatically appoint the Olympiad Fund Co-ordinator to the position of the Womens team captain. This proposal was strongly opposed by both the AWCL and the players themselves, and the ACF did not pursue the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    There is no ACF regulation (as far as I know) that requires the team captains to raise money for the team.
    This is rich, coming from the ridiculous traitor to his country.

You have no right to talk about ACF regulations, you charlatan!

You are an absolute running joke, so GF!!
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 06-10-2004 at 04:22 PM.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kegless
    This is rich, coming from the ridiculous traitor to his country.

You have no right to talk about ACF regulations, you charlatan!

You are an absolute running joke, so GF!!
    Have you been drinking? Or still celebrating the Power's win?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Thread Information