Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    CC Rookie

Inexpensive accomodations around Nadi

By way of introduction, my name is John Caldeira and I am a Fiji chess player. I am not an organizer of the Zonal or affiliated with any hotels.

For those that find the cost of the tournament venue expensive, allow me to suggest some alternatives.

First, the tournament venue, the Sonaisali Island Resort, is approximately 12 km south of Nadi town. There are no other resorts very close to the Sonaisali. The Sonaisali provides FREE boat transfer to their resort from the landing on Viti Levu (the main island). The hotel confirmed to me today that it runs 24/7, only takes a few minutes, and is also free for non-hotel guests.

Most of the inexpensive hotels are north of Nadi town, on the shore near the airport (Nadi Bay area). They have everything from dorm beds in the $25 FJ range ($13 AU) to private rooms for less than $100 FJ ($55 AU). This is approximately 18 km or 25-30 minutes from the tournament site.

Here are a few popular inexpensive hotels near the airport:
    Nadi Bay Resort
    Smugglers Cove
    Tropic of Capricorn Resort

These resorts are approximately 18 km from the tournament site. Taxi fare would be approximately $20-25 FJ ($12 AU) to/from the tournament each way. Taxi prices are approximately $1.50 plus $1 per km.

There will also likely be some local chess players that have ground transportation, but don't count on it.

There are plenty of restaurants around Nadi town and near the inexpensive resorts, and a few decent supermarkets. However, nobody comes to Fiji for the great food so don't get your hopes up. Words such as 'pizza' or 'burger' probably won't mean the same as you'd find at home, unfortunately, but you might get lucky.

John
    Last edited by jcaldeira; 18-02-2013 at 11:55 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alana
    $104 AUD twin share a night? Are you mad?
    It is Fiji 198 per room, about 104-108 AUS for a twin room.
    Michael F

Quote Originally Posted by jcaldeira
    By way of introduction, my name is John Caldeira and I am a Fiji chess player. I am not an organizer of the Zonal or affiliated with any hotels.

For those that find the cost of the tournament venue expensive, allow me to suggest some alternatives.

First, the tournament venue, the Sonaisali Island Resort, is approximately 12 km south of Nadi town. There are no other resorts very close to the Sonaisali. The Sonaisali provides FREE boat transfer to their resort from the landing on Viti Levu (the main island). The hotel confirmed to me today that it runs 24/7, only takes a few minutes, and is also free for non-hotel guests.

Most of the inexpensive hotels are north of Nadi town, on the shore near the airport (Nadi Bay area). They have everything from dorm beds in the $25 FJ range ($13 AU) to private rooms for less than $100 FJ ($55 AU). This is approximately 18 km or 25-30 minutes from the tournament site.

Here are a few popular inexpensive hotels near the airport:
    Nadi Bay Resort
    Smugglers Cove
    Tropic of Capricorn Resort

These resorts are approximately 18 km from the tournament site. Taxi fare would be approximately $20-25 FJ ($12 AU) to/from the tournament each way. Taxi prices are approximately $1.50 plus $1 per km.

There will also likely be some local chess players that have ground transportation, but don't count on it.

There are plenty of restaurants around Nadi town and near the inexpensive resorts, and a few decent supermarkets. However, nobody comes to Fiji for the great food so don't get your hopes up. Words such as 'pizza' or 'burger' probably won't mean the same as you'd find at home, unfortunately, but you might get lucky.

John
    Thanks for taking time to provide us with all this interesting / helpful information John.

Good luck in the tournament!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by braindied
    It is Fiji 198 per room, about 104-108 AUS for a twin room.
    I booked a twin room through the organisers for 8 nights and got a message from virgilio de asa requesting 50% of accommodation cost to be paid to the zonal chess account by 31 March. As it is't a standard hotel booking policy, I am wondering if anyone else got the dame request.

Bessie

CC Candidate Master
    Hi

Yes I got the same request also. I am sharing a twin room with another player.
    %50 now and the rest on arrival.

Does anyone have a list of entries?

I heard Illingworth is the top seed, then Igor B.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GinoTHEstud
    Hi

Yes I got the same request also. I am sharing a twin room with another player.
    %50 now and the rest on arrival.

Does anyone have a list of entries?

I heard Illingworth is the top seed, then Igor B.
    Do we have a list of entrants for the event at all? If not a list the top seeds for the both events?

lost

CC Rookie
    Hi Guys,

I'll make an attempt to answer some queries.

Top seeds for the Open category currently Max Illingworth, Igor, Gary Lane, Bob Smith (not in order). These are the confirmed entries.

The venue (Sonaisali) requires a 50% deposit on all rooms we're holding by March 31st. Required for all rooms, so we've all had to pay up.

Thanks
    Calvin

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemi_cal
    Hi Guys,

I'll make an attempt to answer some queries.

Top seeds for the Open category currently Max Illingworth, Igor, Gary Lane, Bob Smith (not in order). These are the confirmed entries.

The venue (Sonaisali) requires a 50% deposit on all rooms we're holding by March 31st. Required for all rooms, so we've all had to pay up.

Thanks
    Calvin
    Thanks for updating everyone on the happening of the Zonal. If you could update us say every 10 days with list of players (top seeds) and how things are coming along. Keep up the great work for Calvin and team.

lost

CC Rookie
    Hi, I've just created a Facebook page for Fiji Chess Federation. So do 'Like' us, we'll be updating in frequently with Zonal updates.

https://www.facebook.com/fijichess

Expect my entry in the coming days. I just need to make sure I can get a passport and the money I need together.
    [Today 11:14 PM] Firegoat7: "Please be civil to young Lekkas, otherwise I am going to have to make Voodoo"
    [Today 11:16 PM] Firegoat7: furthermore u can add " I as got the dolls and I noes how ta use em"

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar

Confirmed Open Zonal entries as at 15 April 2013

Last edited by Brian_Jones; 16-04-2013 at 05:15 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    This could possibly be the weakest zonal ever
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    This could possibly be the weakest zonal ever
    There's still time for people to enter There's just a late fee...
    [Today 11:14 PM] Firegoat7: "Please be civil to young Lekkas, otherwise I am going to have to make Voodoo"
    [Today 11:16 PM] Firegoat7: furthermore u can add " I as got the dolls and I noes how ta use em"

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jak
    Relax people. FIDE ratings officer usually catches up. After all it's is still May the first!
    The Oceania Zonals start on 5 May (this Sunday). I updated the players list yesterday but gave up as very little has changed since 1 April.

We will be unable to show the updated ratings for the players that competed in the Doeberl Cup, Sydney International and other events held in Australia over a month ago!

Nevertheless, the Zonal pairings will probably be posted on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    Nevertheless, the Zonal pairings will probably be posted on Saturday night.
    Where will pairings / results be posted?
    When everything is said and done, and nothings left to do, I'd like to be the final one to say "What else is new?"

Thread Information