Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    Anton's live rating crossed 2300 tonight.

Congratulations to all the recipients. Australian under 16 team is the most titled ever...
    Superb, Anton!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I'm updating #208 as I receive advice that people are claiming or have paid or don't want the title. (Thanks Lekko for letting me know).

Quote Originally Posted by Lekko
    I won't be claiming the title Kevin.
    good decision! finish your studies first have a bit of a break from swimming and then go for the biggy! and I mean the friggin biggy!!!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC FIDE Master
    The following article was published in the 41st year of my chess column in the Sydney Morning Herald on Monday 17th June 2013.

FIDE has announced the following titles to Australian players at the Fiji Zonals :- IM - I.Bjelobrk 2340, A.Dale 2266 ; WIM K.Jarek 1975 ; WFM S.Narenthran 1781 ; FM A.Smirnov 2292. J.Tan is also an FM by his new rating of 2301. Australia now has 4 grandmasters,25 International Masters,42 FIDE masters and 2 active players rated above the IM norm of 2450.

I have just emailed FIDE accepting the nine CM titles shown in bold in #208. They will probably take a few days to reply confirming them.

CC International Master
    Ilija Ilic (ID # 3202364) told me that he is interested but I do not think he reads this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    Ilija Ilic (ID # 3202364) told me that he is interested but I do not think he reads this board.
    Sounds like he doesn't read his email Newsletter either, or isn't subscribed.

For anyone who still wants one and hasn't contacted me yet: if they contact me quickly (email k_bonham@tassie.net.au (the space between the k and b is an underscore, _ )or ph 0421 428 775) and are in a position to arrange quick payment to the ACF (either by bank transfer or by arranging something else with Norm Greenwood) then I may be able to get theirs processed at the bulk rate of $74 or at least something not much more than that. No guarantees as the $AUS is on a slide.

After that I can still process them at any time but if they have to be processed singly after we've been billed for and paid for the current lot, the rate is likely to be slightly over $100.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 20-06-2013 at 08:46 PM.

The nine CM titles previously claimed have been awarded and the WCM title for Sarah Anton has been claimed.

Aren't CM titles available to anyone who has exceeded FIDE 2200? And what about scoring 50% in an Olympiad? Isn't this the same deal? (I've tried googling without much luck).
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden
    Aren't CM titles available to anyone who has exceeded FIDE 2200? And what about scoring 50% in an Olympiad? Isn't this the same deal? (I've tried googling without much luck).
    If what FIDE announced about expiry of old title claims is correct then any norm recorded pre mid-2005, and any (FM/WFM/CM/WCM) title claim resting on a rating or Olympiad result claim prior to mid-05, has just expired (yesterday). So if anyone wants to claim one of those I would suggest contacting your federation's appropriate person ASAP in case FIDE allow a bit of an extension (about which I haven't heard anything yet.) (Tony: you're registered to NZL so your case that would be NZCF).

On my understanding claims for CM titles arising from Olympiads before the title of CM was introduced would not be valid (they are certainly not in the case of Zonals). Rating-based claims are a different story, if FIDE is still willing to accept them.

Knowing the way FIDE usually works, I'm surprised they declared a cutoff instead of just introducing a Late Fee of 250 euro!

Thanks Kevin
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

Thread Information