Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    FA Peter Tsai is now IA Peter Tsai.

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Also, FA Jashint Maharaj is now IA Jashint Maharaj

Jashint is the Chief Arbiter at the 2013 Oceania Zone Championships in Fiji.

Excellent news!!! Congratulations Peter!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

I add that Peter's application was very polished and perfect in every regard. This may be because his FA application was the first that came across my desk and I gave him a bit of a hard time with it (in part because one of his norms was actually ineligible, and in part because I was new to the job and still feeling my way in terms of the standards applied.)

A great person to work with and respected by all, officials, organisers and players Peter Tsai (right on the picture) is seen here with our other top IA Dr Charles Zworestine during the 2012 Aus Champs at Geelong.

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Candidate Master

Excellent Peter! Great news.

Reminder for FA/IA applicants on minimum number of entries for tournaments to be counted as norms:

FIDE rated event valid for a norm is considered any tournament with minimum 10 players in case that it is played with Round Robin system, with minimum 6 players in case that it is played with Double Round Robin system and with minimum 20 players in case that it is played with Swiss system.
    Unfortunately this one is a problem for quite a few applicants, the other common problem being failure to include both Swiss and Round Robin norms.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Simultaneous Events

If you are arbiter for two FIDE-rated events in the same place and on the same dates (eg a main division alongside a reserve division, or a seniors event alongside an Amateur tournament) you can only claim one of them as a norm towards any given title application.
    I have an extra ruling from the Arbiters Commission now - if an arbiter referees a blitz tournament on the rest day of a longer event, it is possible to count both of them as norms provided they otherwise qualify.

Recent applications:

David Webster (FA) - approved in Tallinn
    Alana Chibnall (FA) - submitted last night

FA/IA norms when you are not the Chief Arbiter

Note that FIDE have tightened regulations on the signing off of FA/IA norms.

If you were not the Chief Arbiter then your norm needs to be signed by the Chief Arbiter.

If you were the Chief Arbiter then your norm can be signed by the Chief Organizer.

In the past a norm signed for a Deputy Arbiter by an Organizer has been accepted without problems but the new regulations are fussier about this.

Also it is an ACF expectation that each arbiter title application includes at least one norm that is endorsed by a titled arbiter, preferably an IA, or at least that an IA is willing to vouch for the arbiter's skills. This will be waived in cases where it is not possible for an applicant to meet this standard.

IA application submitted for FA Jamie Kenmure.

All our applications were approved at this PB so Kerry Stead and Jamie Kenmure are now IAs and Alana Chibnall and Lee Forace are FAs.

Congrats to all.

Have just applied for FA for IM/FT/IO Leonid Sandler.

I think if he gets it he's the first Australian to collect the full set as a titled player, arbiter, organiser and trainer.

The following case may be of interest to some. An arbiter wanted to gain an FA norm from a set of five six-player single round robin tournaments played at the same time.

The regulations allow for an FA norm from a single ten-player round robin, or from a six-player double round robin, but not from a six-player single round robin.

I asked FIDE Arbiters Commission if they would accept five six-player single round robins as a single norm, and the majority answer was nope.

To the extent that there is any reason behind this I am guessing that five single round robins is still a shorter tournament for the arbiter.

Norm-seeking arbiters MUST be registered on Tournament Report Form!

It's very important that if you are an organiser whose tournament includes an arbiter who is seeking an FA or IA norm from the event, that you register that arbiter on the Tournament Report Form details, even if they are not the Chief Arbiter.

It's very important that if you are an arbiter who is seeking an FA or IA norm from an event that you check the TRF online and make sure your name is registered, before the event.

Organisers and arbiters are mutually responsible for ensuring this is done.

There have been a couple of high-profile cases of norms being knocked back because they were not registered on the TRF. I am unsure how much of a problem this is and there is nothing in the FIDE Arbiter Title regs about it, but it is best not to take any chances.

Would appreciate it if people involved could pass this message along at Arbiter and Organiser seminars and the like.

I believe there are currently three Australian norms that are affected by this issue. Jamie Kenmure (Asian FIDE EB member) will be discussing this with the Arbiters Commission shortly.

If for some technical reason you cannot register a norm-seeking arbiter on the TRF then please contact me so I'm aware of the problem.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 08-08-2015 at 09:17 PM.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Norm-seeking arbiters MUST be registered on Tournament Report Form!

It's very important that if you are an organiser whose tournament includes an arbiter who is seeking an FA or IA norm from the event, that you register that arbiter on the Tournament Report Form details, even if they are not the Chief Arbiter.

It's very important that if you are an arbiter who is seeking an FA or IA norm from an event that you check the TRF online and make sure your name is registered, before the event.

Organisers and arbiters are mutually responsible for ensuring this is done.

There have been a couple of high-profile cases of norms being knocked back because they were not registered on the TRF. I am unsure how much of a problem this is and there is nothing in the FIDE Arbiter Title regs about it, but it is best not to take any chances.

Would appreciate it if people involved could pass this message along at Arbiter and Organiser seminars and the like.

I believe there are currently three Australian norms that are affected by this issue. Jamie Kenmure (Asian FIDE EB member) will be discussing this with the Arbiters Commission shortly.

If for some technical reason you cannot register a norm-seeking arbiter on the TRF then please contact me so I'm aware of the problem.
    To everyone concerned,

Once I have spoken to the Arbiters Commission, I will only be providing a report to Kevin Bonham, Australian FIDE Delegate on this issue.

You can easily check to see you are registered by searching for your name at http://ratings.fide.com/

Should any arbiter or organiser have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me at jchess7@gmail.com

lost

Thread Information