Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I added an edit to #4 to cover the exception mentioned in #15. And actually the response I got said only that blitz events do not count and didn't explicitly mention rapid.

I'm still not clear on whether World Champs playoffs would be covered since the term "World and Continental Rapid Championships" could mean World Rapid Championships and Continental Rapid Championships, but for our purposes it really doesn't matter anyway.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 01-07-2012 at 06:15 PM.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Actually the problem is your posts are misleading as they lack specificity.

Kevin's post #4 talks about blitz/rapid not counting for FA/IA norms but being considered for the upcoming Congress.
    Your response (post #9) confirmed what Kevin posted.

My post #12 was based on Kevin's post #4 and your post #9 and is therefore wrong. I should have checked the actual regulations.

JAK's post #5 was talking about blitz/rapid.
    Your response (post #10) made no distinction between blitz/rapid. Unfortunately your quoting of your source is misleading as it implies it apples to blitz/rapid.

It turns out the following is the case according to the current regulations.

According to section 3.8 of the B.05 Regulations for the Titles of Arbiters

whilst for an IA norm 4.6e applies.

Blitz is not mentioned in any of the requirements for an FA or IA tile and do not count for an FA or IA norm.
    Maybe this source been Panagiotis Nikolopoulos, chairman of Arbiter's Commission, is misleading everyone under the body of FIDE. He did mention this during the arbiter's seminar. Unless you wish to disagree with him and FIDE, I am only going on what is been said.

You can get a norm for Continential and World Championship Rapid and Blitz events, however the commission is loking at extending it to any FIDE rated Rapid and Blitz tournament.

lost

Quote Originally Posted by lost
    Maybe this source been Panagiotis Nikolopoulos, chairman of Arbiter's Commission, is misleading everyone under the body of FIDE. He did mention this during the arbiter's seminar. Unless you wish to disagree with him and FIDE, I am only going on what is been said.
    Perhaps you misunderstood him as the regulations make no mention of Blitz being allowed as a norm.
    Either that or these FIDE Commission people really need to stop making claims that are contradicted by the published FIDE regulations.
    Then again FIDE do not seem to follow their own published FIDE statutes with regards the number of allowed FIDE Vice Presidents.
    Quote Originally Posted by lost
    You can get a norm for Continential and World Championship Rapid and Blitz events, however the commission is loking at extending it to any FIDE rated Rapid and Blitz tournament.
    You cannot get a norm according to the published FIDE regulations for any Blitz tournaments irrespective of whether they are Continental or World Championship Blitz events.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Re JaK's question earlier about rapid rating of playoffs, although I could not find a listing for the Anand-Gelfand playoff as submitted for rapid ratings, it has appeared as rapid-rated anyway meaning that Anand now has a rapid of 2794 cf his normal rating of 2780.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Re JaK's question earlier about rapid rating of playoffs, although I could not find a listing for the Anand-Gelfand playoff as submitted for rapid ratings, it has appeared as rapid-rated anyway meaning that Anand now has a rapid of 2794 cf his normal rating of 2780.
    thanks Kev!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Perhaps you misunderstood him as the regulations make no mention of Blitz being allowed as a norm.
    Either that or these FIDE Commission people really need to stop making claims that are contradicted by the published FIDE regulations.
    Then again FIDE do not seem to follow their own published FIDE statutes with regards the number of allowed FIDE Vice Presidents.
    Spot on!
    IA Keong Ang

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln

Sorry Bill, hadn't seen this, thanks for your effort!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC FIDE Master

You cannot get a norm according to the published FIDE regulations for any Blitz tournaments irrespective of whether they are Continental or World Championship Blitz events.
    misunderstood

this is all I need to say to myself.

lost

CC Candidate Master
    What about World Youth Championships,
    will it count as a FA/IA Norm ?

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto
    What about World Youth Championships,
    will it count as a FA/IA Norm ?

It should as it is a FIDE rated event. But I think only one norm can be achieved from this.

lost

No Norms For Playing Arbiters

Shaun Press has published an item on his Chess Rules blog indicating that an arbiter who is a player in a tournament cannot claim a norm for that event.

Blitz and Rapid Norms Update

An arbiter or deputy arbiter of a FIDE-blitz or rapid rated event may now use the event as an FA title norm provided that it has at least 30 players and at least 9 rounds, and only one such event may be used. (You cannot use a blitz event as one norm and a rapid as another.)

This is not retrospective.

Just putting in an IA application for FA Peter Tsai, which seems to me to be completely OK.

If anyone else has completed their norms for an Arbiter title then please get me as much of the scanned paperwork as you can by midnight tomorrow. There's a cutoff tomorrow for titles for clearance in the next FIDE board meeting otherwise either we get surcharged 50% of fee or we have to wait til the next one.

Just putting in an IA application for FA Peter Tsai, which seems to me to be completely OK.

If anyone else has completed their norms for an Arbiter title then please get me as much of the scanned paperwork as you can by midnight tomorrow. There's a cutoff tomorrow for titles for clearance in the next FIDE board meeting otherwise either we get surcharged 50% of fee or we have to wait til the next one.
    Crap really? I thought the cut-off was later in the year. I'm still waiting for the last of my tournaments to finish (the RR) which should be over in 4 weeks time.
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alana
    Crap really? I thought the cut-off was later in the year. I'm still waiting for the last of my tournaments to finish (the RR) which should be over in 4 weeks time.
    They'll usually make an exception to the surcharge if the final tournament to finish was after the surcharge deadline. Anyway there is a meeting every 3 months.

Thread Information