Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hi Kevin. Do you happen to know when the congress is after this one? I will hopefully receive my final IA norm in Thailand at the Bangkok Chess Championship which I am an arbiter for, and should be able to apply for the title. Thanks
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alana View Post
    Hi Kevin. Do you happen to know when the congress is after this one? I will hopefully receive my final IA norm in Thailand at the Bangkok Chess Championship which I am an arbiter for, and should be able to apply for the title. Thanks
    I haven't seen a date for the second quarter PB meeting yet. The Baku Congress is 20-30 Sep and the second quarter PB is sometime between the first quarter PB (27-30 Mar) and then. So maybe around late June, but I don't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I haven't seen a date for the second quarter PB meeting yet. The Baku Congress is 20-30 Sep and the second quarter PB is sometime between the first quarter PB (27-30 Mar) and then. So maybe around late June, but I don't know for sure.
    All good Kevin - thanks anyway!
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

Note to arbiters getting norms from tournaments

It is your responsibility to make sure that before the tournament finishes you have arranged for the FA1/IA1 and IT3 forms to be filled out and given to you by an appropriate person, or that you have all the data needed to fill out the IT3 yourself. The appropriate person for the FA1/IA1 form is:

* The Chief Arbiter if you are the Deputy Arbiter
    * The Chief Organiser if you are the Chief Arbiter
    * Some other appropriate official who witnessed your performance as arbiter in the event if you are both Chief Arbiter and Organiser.

(You may as well then scan the FA1/IA1 and send it straight to me for endorsement).

Chasing up the appropriate person some time after the event ends may be more difficult and could result in your application being delayed.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 28-01-2016 at 09:42 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks, Kevin, for your explanation about applying for arbiter norms.

Can I ask a couple of questions, mainly from a WA perspective? The problem that we have here is that there aren't -- to my knowledge -- any IAs or FAs residing within 2,000km of the WA clubs that run FIDE rated tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by FA1 Form;
    The organizer is responsible for providing the above certificate to each Arbiter who in
    the opinion of the Chief Arbiter has qualified for a FIDE Arbiter norm and who
    requests it before the end of the tournament.
    Suppose we have a tournament where both Chief Arbiter and Deputy Arbiter are NAs. Can the Chief Arbiter complete an FA norm application for the Deputy Arbiter? Would it be successful?

Quote Originally Posted by FA1 Form;
    If the certificate is for the Chief Arbiter it
    should be based on the judgment of a previously authorized official who should, if
    possible, be an International Arbiter, failing that a FIDE Arbiter.
    Would it be correct to say that: in the event that there isn't an FA or IA at the tournament to witness the Chief Arbiter's performance, the Chief Arbiter cannot attain an FA norm from the tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post

Suppose we have a tournament where both Chief Arbiter and Deputy Arbiter are NAs. Can the Chief Arbiter complete an FA norm application for the Deputy Arbiter? Would it be successful?
    Yes and yes. There is no requirement for the person who fills out the form to be a qualified arbiter.

Would it be correct to say that: in the event that there isn't an FA or IA at the tournament to witness the Chief Arbiter's performance, the Chief Arbiter cannot attain an FA norm from the tournament?
    No. The wording of the FIDE forms is clumsy and often outdated and contradictory. If the Chief Organiser and Chief Arbiter are different people then it is completely acceptable for the Organiser to do the FA form whether the organiser is a titled arbiter or not. In the case in which the Chief Arbiter is also the Chief Organiser then the "if possible" also applies to the "failing that", so they can accept an endorsement from a club, state or national official (for example) - if no titled official can be found at all. I have had some FA norms accepted that were just signed by untitled club secretaries. (IA they could well be stricter about.)

Note that on behalf of the ACF, I do a bit of quality-control of applications beyond what FIDE require, because the ACF doesn't want to have incompetent FAs and IAs registered to our Federation even if FIDE will accept them. So for an FA applicant living in an area where there are lots of titled arbiters, I expect that at least one titled arbiter - or other person who I know has a very good understanding of the Laws - will be willing to vouch for the applicant being up to standard (even if that arbiter did not endorse any of the FA1s). Obviously for areas where there are no current titled arbiters I will relax this , but in this case the comments on the Confidential Report forms should explain why the people endorsing them think the arbiter did a good job, not just "X did a good job and there were no issues".
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 28-01-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Applicants for FA and IA titles should be aware that their FA2 application form is published on the FIDE website. They should make sure they have included contact details they are willing to have displayed publicly in this form and also that they are happy with the list of languages they have included.

Something else I should mention is that there was recently a case of someone editing an electronic copy of an arbiter title form that I had signed in the hope I would re-submit an altered version. I want to make it really clear to people who deal with me in any fashion, that this sort of thing isn't allowed for any reason. It's important that the ACF keeps complete control of what documents it has approved in the exact form that they were approved in, rather than risk any situation in which it looks like we have approved something we have not. If there is a need to amend any form I have signed in even the most trivial and cosmetic fashion then I will do the amending.

FA application for Chris Zuccala approved.

NA cannot sign for IA norm

Following a change in the rules, the Chief Arbiter who is signing for an IA norm must themselves be at least a FIDE Arbiter (FA). "Arbiters of National Standard" (NAs) cannot sign for IA norms.

Event standards

Just a note that I will reject norms if it is my belief that the event in question was badly refereed. (I don't mean just the odd mistake here and there, I mean serious problems.) In such cases all norms for the event will be rejected, even if it is unclear if the arbiter seeking the norm was directly responsible for the problem.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 20-12-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Further to the above, in signing off on FA and IA titles, I am required to sign a statement that:

"“The candidate possesses an exact knowledge of the Laws of Chess and other FIDE regulations to be observed in chess competitions.”

and also the statement “In his (her) activity as an Arbiter s/he has shown at all times absolute objectivity."

Obviously it is not possible for me to know whether every candidate possesses an exact knowledge, or whether every candidate has always shown absolute objectivity. So I will sign these statements if the claims are true as far as I know.

However if I have specific reasons to believe they are not true, I will not sign the form. Such cases will typically be referred to the ACF Council to determine the way forward.

Resubmitted IA application for Brian Jones approved. Should become official in early April at end of the public display period.

FIDE have clarified the meaning of "international" tournaments for the purposes of this form of IA norm:

4.6 d) International FIDE rated chess events with at least 100 players, at least 30% FIDE rated players, and at least seven rounds (maximum one norm).
    To be "international" for this rule an event should have players from at least 3 federations competing. (They are also saying 2 federations for an FA norm which makes no sense at all since part 4 only covers IA titles.)

Also a proposal to include chess festivals that include multiple tournaments in 4.6 d) was approved. (Presumably the number of players etc has to be the same.)

FIDE has approved a private application for the IA title by Leonid Sandler. The application was neither supported nor opposed by the ACF.

A reminder to all applicants for titles that you must include the IT3 forms (http://www.fide.com/images/stories/n...t_form_it3.pdf)

Also, organisers should provide the IT3 forms to any arbiter who has qualified for an arbiting norm.

I don't care whether the IT3s are the original or is reconstructed by the arbiter finding the relevant information. The ACF will not fill out the IT3s for you.

Also, to reduce work for me please submit all norms and all IT3s as separate individual files.

It is also in future an absolute requirement from me that applicants for arbiter titles fill out their own FA2/IA2 forms (apart from the endorsement at the bottom). If applicants do not do their own FA2/IA2 form then their application won't be processed at all until they do. If they include an event that is not eligible for a norm then they will have to fill them out again.

Also, get the event names right. Especially do not call something "rapid" on the forms if it is not actually a rapid.

Have had at least 3 hours wasted dealing with messy application issues today that could have been avoided had the applicants dotted the i's and crossed the t's.

Thread Information