Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Applying for FA and IA titles / Arbiter registration

Just thought I'd post some hints from time to time to hopefully cut down the number of applications sent to me that then need patching up, and also so anyone who wants to can publicly ask questions and that way others may see my answers (if I know the answer!)

So to start with:

Simultaneous Events

If you are arbiter for two FIDE-rated events in the same place and on the same dates (eg a main division alongside a reserve division, or a seniors event alongside an Amateur tournament) you can only claim one of them as a norm towards any given title application.

Applications for titles to be approved at next Congress are due July 3. Applications after that date may be surcharged, but if your application is unavoidably later than July 3 then submit it to me anyway.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 29-06-2012 at 01:01 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    One thing I've been wondering about is whether arbiting of rapid and blitz tournaments (that are run under FIDE regulations and FIDE rated, now that FIDE is rating these types of events) can count towards FA norms. The FIDE handbook doesn't say they can't (section 3.5 here) but rapid and blitz are only recent additions to FIDE's recognised tournament/format repertoire so maybe the handbook hasn't caught up to exclude them?

Excellent question whatteaux. Fortunately earlier today I asked FIDE the very same question (I was also assuming they don't count) and the answer is:

* At present blitz/rapid events cannot be counted for FA/IA norms. [Edit: at least one kind of rapid event can be counted, namely "World and Continental Rapid Championships", see post 15.]

* There may be a proposal at the upcoming Congress to alter this. Even if such a proposal was accepted my interpretation of what I received is that it might not come into force immediately.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 01-07-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Excellent question whatteaux. Fortunately earlier today I asked FIDE the very same question (I was also assuming they don't count) and the answer is:

* At present blitz/rapid events cannot be counted for FA/IA norms.

* There may be a proposal at the upcoming Congress to alter this. Even if such a proposal was accepted my interpretation of what I received is that it might not come into force immediately.
    What about those rapid/blitz etc to decide tied events as the recent WC?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    Anyone refereeing one of those would already be an IA.

Anyone refereeing one of those would already be an IA.
    oops I was caught offside, I meant if the games themselves would be rated!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

oops I was caught offside, I meant if the games themselves would be rated!
    As far as I can tell the rapid playoff between Anand and Gelfand was not submitted for FIDE rapid ratings. (Edit: See below)
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 02-07-2012 at 03:31 PM.

CC FIDE Master

* At present blitz/rapid events cannot be counted for FA/IA norms.

To all concerned,

I am confirm that there is a proposal that is put forward that they want rapid and blitz tournaments to count towards obtaining an FA/IA norm. They are hoping this will be passed by FIDE which will good for arbiters needing those norms.

lost
    Last edited by lost; 30-06-2012 at 03:30 PM.

CC FIDE Master

Yes it would be counted for a norm and the only other events as such would be the Continential events only. No other events until rectified at the upcoming congress if it gets passed there.

lost

Quote Originally Posted by lost
    Yes it would be counted for a norm and the only other events as such would be the Continential events only. No other events until rectified at the upcoming congress if it gets passed there.

lost
    Thanks Lost, BTW congrats for achieving your goal!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

lost
    Hang on.
    Currently no blitz/rapid events count for FA/IA norms.
    As such the recent WC playoffs or any Continental blitz/rapid events do not count.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Hang on.
    Currently no blitz/rapid events count for FA/IA norms.
    As such the recent WC playoffs or any Continental blitz/rapid events do not count.
    Bill,

I was informed by an extremely reliable source from the Arbiters Commission that this is the case for World Championship and Continential events as well, however, most arbiters who do these events are generally an IA already and thus norms are not required at all.

lost

CC FIDE Master
    Thanks Lost, BTW congrats for achieving your goal!

Thank you JaK for your kind words.

lost

Bill,

I was informed by an extremely reliable source from the Arbiters Commission that this is the case for World Championship and Continential events as well, however, most arbiters who do these events are generally an IA already and thus norms are not required at all.

lost
    Actually the problem is your posts are misleading as they lack specificity.

Kevin's post #4 talks about blitz/rapid not counting for FA/IA norms but being considered for the upcoming Congress.
    Your response (post #9) confirmed what Kevin posted.

My post #12 was based on Kevin's post #4 and your post #9 and is therefore wrong. I should have checked the actual regulations.

JAK's post #5 was talking about blitz/rapid.
    Your response (post #10) made no distinction between blitz/rapid. Unfortunately your quoting of your source is misleading as it implies it apples to blitz/rapid.

It turns out the following is the case according to the current regulations.

According to section 3.8 of the B.05 Regulations for the Titles of Arbiters
    Being chief or deputy arbiter in official World and Continental Rapid Championships shall be equivalent to one (1) FA norm. No more than one such norm will be considered for the title.
    whilst for an IA norm 4.6e applies.
    All official World and Continental Rapid Championships (maximum one norm).
    Blitz is not mentioned in any of the requirements for an FA or IA tile and do not count for an FA or IA norm.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Thread Information