Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Somewhat moot, because if White retreats, Black plays ...Bc2 and grabs the Pa4, which as you noted in the main game annotations, was a liability and should not have been played there.

But 1.Bxf5 Kxf5 2. Kf3 f6 3. Ke3 [3.Kf2 Ke4 and wins the Q-side Ps after ... f5 to close off counterplay on the other side] 3... Kg4 4.Kf2 Kh3 5. Kf3 [5.f5 gxf5 6.Kf3 Kh2 7.Kf4 (7.Kf2 f4) 7... Kg2 8.Kxf5 Kxg3 9.Kxf6 Kxh4] 5... f5 6. Kf2 Kh2 7.Kf3 Kg1 8.Ke3 Kg2 cleans up.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 20-11-2012 at 04:15 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Candidate Master
    I'll take a stab and say that white (I think) must take the bishop.

If W plays Kd2 or Kd4 then then Bxd3, Kx d3 and the Black King gets amongst the pawns by Kf5 and I think it is effectively game over for W.

Be2 allows attack on the a pawn by Bc2 so this is probably no good.

Play could proceed as follows
    1 Bxf5, Kxf5; 2Kf3 f6; 3 g4+ hxg4+; 4 Kg3 g5; 5 fxg5 (not hxg5- fxg5 Kxg5 - and I think black wins)....fxg5; 6 h5 (now black must give back a pawn to stop the h pawn)....Kf6; 7 Kxg4 (and I think black is sunk).

Anyway - over to others I've probably missed a get out of jail free card for black somewhere in there

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Somewhat moot, because if White retreats, Black plays ...Bc2 and grabs the Pa4,
    The other option though is Be4 when if Black chops the B then the white king is controlling f5. Black has no waiting move and no obvious (well to me anyway) way to triangulate.
    meep meep

Good point, rr. John Nunn notes that such "co-linear" moves are often overlooked by humans. Maybe put yours in white too?
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

White cannot win this so why risk losing, why even analyse.

Just play Be4.

I recentely suffered a debarcle after exchanging into a King and Pawn endgame against Vincent Horton at the Chesskids State Finals(TAS). Hopefully i can put the position on here and get the "expert" opinions on it.
    Luck has the peculiar habit of favouring those who don't rely on it!-Anonymous
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small mind discuss people.-Anonymous
    He who dares, wins.-SAS motto

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    OK, between you you saw almost everything but no-one saw one crucial move! The answer to the question is it doesn't objectively matter since the position is a draw either way, but if white has analysed everything, he should take the bishop, as black is more likely to stuff it up and lose. Certainly short of time in a practical situation you don't play with the steak knives and you just play Be4.

Well done to Jay on seeing the most important move 4.g4+. Both my opponent and I failed to find this either OTB (desperately short of time) or in a fairly quick post-mortem and hence we both believed playing f4+ then taking the bishop would have lost. (This is why my opponent took my bishop the move earlier, which was in fact a loss, although I erred and gave him a drawn position before he then made a worse mistake allowing me to win) My 1700s-rated guinea pig who I then showed the position to then spent 20 mins looking at everything under the sun but did not find g4+.

Jay's suspicion that he missed black's get out of jail free card is correct - it's ...Ke5! instead of ...Kf6. It looks strange but the king stays in the square of the h-pawn and loses a tempo so it can't be zugzwanged off f6. White gets great king position but black gets the opposition and white can make no progress.

PGN Viewer

Thumbs up

Thanks KB; a most instructive position.

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks KB - good real game position. I did not even consider 1Be4 and you are right after Ke5! - pretty sure I would have missed this move OTB under any sort of time pressure as it doesn't 'make sense' to abandon the pawn. But it looks like it works and forces a drawn position.

CC Grandmaster
    The position may appear to be simple, but it is not simple at all!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Hou Yifan - Anand, Tata Steel. In a winning knight ending, the World Champion offers a knight swap into an ending a pawn up, as you do, only to find that the pure pawn ending is a draw!

PGN Viewer

Drew-West has been done to death on this board already; fireeater has an article about it here: http://gorkachc.blogspot.com.au/2013...-endgames.html

FEN Viewer

Kf4 draws but Kf5 loses.

The one above is simple because if the black king can be prevented from leaving the h-file it can never help the black pawns as the white king keeps it away.
    Luck has the peculiar habit of favouring those who don't rely on it!-Anonymous
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small mind discuss people.-Anonymous
    He who dares, wins.-SAS motto

Yes, simple to draw if that is all you are looking for - I think the problem is that white, short of time, may have thought that Kf5 had winning chances.

Kf4 sets a little trap for Black too.

Thread Information