Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

2004/2005 Lidums Australian Open

Since we dont seem to have a thread for the open that hasnt been locked, here is one.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    The reason the other threads got locked is because the thread title is not specific enough and the thread ends up with 500 posts. Please choose a more specific thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    The reason the other threads got locked is because the thread title is not specific enough and the thread ends up with 500 posts. Please choose a more specific thread title.
    this is a specific thread title i thought the others are about the minor, the junior, the schools and so this one can be about the open.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Specific, e.g: Accomodation, Getting There, Recreation, Open Time Controls etc........

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    this is a specific thread title i thought the others are about the minor, the junior, the schools and so this one can be about the open.
    Well you event is actually the 2004 Australian Open since you start in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Well you event is actually the 2004 Australian Open since you start in 2004.
    dont attempt to play silly buggers with me, you know full well it is the 2005 Australian Open.

CC Rookie

Stay at Mercure!

I have been doing some research and urge players to stay at the Mercure during the Open and Junior. We are getting a great deal and need to support this for future years!

The best deals I can find on the net for the Mercure Grand Chalet in Mt Buller are for November/December:
    $125 per night
    Full breakfast for 2 persons, access to all sporting facilities/pool/spa. Children stay free. Additional adult $65 per night.

I can't remember what the deal is for the Open or Juniors, but I am sure it is way better than this.

-RR

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring-A-Rosie
    Are they the same phillipino's who were going to play in the Vic Open - starter?
    RAR

The VIC Open potential entrants looked like one ridgy-didge and a number of tourists. Not the same names as appearing for Mt Buller.

starter

Quote Originally Posted by Ring-A-Rosie
    I have been doing some research and urge players to stay at the Mercure during the Open and Junior. We are getting a great deal and need to support this for future years!

The best deals I can find on the net for the Mercure Grand Chalet in Mt Buller are for November/December:
    $125 per night
    Full breakfast for 2 persons, access to all sporting facilities/pool/spa. Children stay free. Additional adult $65 per night.

I can't remember what the deal is for the Open or Juniors, but I am sure it is way better than this.

-RR
    More than a hint of sarcasm here

To make it easy - 2 adults (full breakfast etc etc) is $120 extra adult is $50.

For the juniors, 3 juniors in a room is $90 (continental breakfast.) Same adult rates as for Open. Juniors are regarded as under 18. Normally a child is under 14. As soon as a junior is in a room with an adult, then adult rate applies. This has been a problem for the juniors, where often you have a child/adult combination.

I think the Mercure is working well for the schools comp, where schools are putting multiple children in a room and it is only for 2 or 3 nights.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    dont attempt to play silly buggers with me, you know full well it is the 2005 Australian Open.
    The only one apparently being a silly bugger is you gg as what you are saying is no more correct than what I said.

Although the winner will be recognised as the 2005 Australian Open Champion the correct name for the event is the 2004/2005 Australian Open just like the previous Australian Championship held in Adelaide was the 2003/2004 Australian Championship where Gary Lane is recognised as the 2004 Australian Champion.

The only one apparently being a silly bugger is you gg as what you are saying is no more correct than what I said.
    dang, you got me, i was playing silly buggers

Although the winner will be recognised as the 2005 Australian Open Champion the correct name for the event is the 2004/2005 Australian Open just like the previous Australian Championship held in Adelaide was the 2003/2004 Australian Championship where Gary Lane is recognised as the 2004 Australian Champion.
    Btw Bill

Remember all those names that were similarly out-of-synch. on the ACF Australian Junior trophy, do you now have a list of true actuals?

regards
    starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Btw Bill

Remember all those names that were similarly out-of-synch. on the ACF Australian Junior trophy, do you now have a list of true actuals?

regards
    starter
    All available evidence shows that with regards the Aus junior trophy there is no out-of-sync similarity.
    As an example the 1950's are clearly incorrect as evidenced by articles written in the relevant Chess World magazines of the time.

With regards the Aus championship and Aus Open then I would need to check out the records from around 1969 onwards.

e.g. with regards the Aus championship
    1953 L.Steiner
    1955 J.Purdy
    1957 K. Ozols & S. Lazare
    1959 L. Steiner
    1960 L. Endzelins
    1963 J. Purdy
    1965 D. Hamilton
    1969 W. Browne
    1970 A. Flatow
    1972 M. Fuller & T.Hay
    and has proceed on even years since up to 2004 G. Lane.

Now the question is should Endzelins be 60 or really 61.
    Also what happened between 65 and 69 and how does the 70, 72 etc fit in.

For the Aus Open
    1971 L. Portisch (HUN)
    1973 M.L Fuller
    1975 M.L Fuller
    and has proceeded on odd years up to 2003 John-Paul Wallace.

Now what needs to be checked is how these relate to the actual years of the events.
    The 2003 Open actually started in Jan 2003 not Dec 2002 so quite rightly would seem to be 2003, however the 2001 event started on Dec 28th of 2000 so should this make it the 2000 instead of the 2001.

Since the Open is only a recent event in comparison to the championship it will be interesting to check how the championship year was determined prior to say 1969.

Of course I suspect that irrespective of all this is what the ACF deemed the relevant year to be.

I'll report back after I do some investigation.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 14-10-2004 at 12:54 PM.

All available evidence shows that with regards the Aus junior trophy there is no out-of-sync similarity.
    As an example the 1950's are clearly incorrect as evidenced by articles written in the relevant Chess World magazines of the time.

With regards the Aus championship and Aus Open then I would need to check out the records from around 1969 onwards.

e.g. with regards the Aus championship
    1953 L.Steiner
    1955 J.Purdy
    1957 K. Ozols & S. Lazare
    1959 L. Steiner
    1960 L. Endzelins
    1963 J. Purdy
    1965 D. Hamilton
    1969 W. Browne
    1970 A. Flatow
    1972 M. Fuller & T.Hay
    and has proceed on even years since up to 2004 G. Lane.

Now the question is should Endzelins be 60 or really 61.
    Also what happened between 65 and 69 and how does the 70, 72 etc fit in.

For the Aus Open
    1971 L. Portisch (HUN)
    1973 M.L Fuller
    1975 M.L Fuller
    and has proceeded on odd years up to 2003 John-Paul Wallace.

Now what needs to be checked is how these relate to the actual years of the events.
    The 2003 Open actually started in Jan 2003 not Dec 2002 so quite rightly would seem to be 2003, however the 2001 event started on Dec 28th of 2000 so should this make it the 2000 instead of the 2001.

Since the Open is only a recent event in comparison to the championship it will be interesting to check how the championship year was determined prior to say 1969.

Of course I suspect that irrespective of all this is what the ACF deemed the relevant year to be.

I'll report back after I do some investigation.
    There you are r''a''g''g''y''

Ask Bill a question in the nicest possible way and you get this sort of answer.
    But call him a silly b.ugger and you will get what you got.

starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    There you are r''a''g''g''y''

Ask Bill a question in the nicest possible way and you get this sort of answer.
    But call him a silly b.ugger and you will get what you got.

starter
    starter you are being a mischievous maker, i dont think Bill or I were actually debating anything.

Stop trying to drive up post counts
    Last edited by Garvinator; 14-10-2004 at 02:10 PM.

Thread Information