Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Famous Australians who play chess

FIDE have sent a request for information about famous people who are known to play chess (not necessarily competitively or well). This is to assist Agon with securing sponsorship for the world championship cycle by demonstrating chess is relevant and is played by key people. They are seeking at least 10 and ideally up to 20 examples per country.

Examples given are diplomats, movie stars, TV hosts, bankers and politicians.

I'll consider including anyone who is alive and who is famous enough to have a substantial Wikipedia page (not just a stub) devoted to them, for reasons other than chess, bridge, poker or other games.

For instance:

Richard Farleigh, businessman
    Stephen Mayne, shareholder activist
    Tim Fischer, former deputy PM
    Michael Veitch, comedian / radio host (!)
    Henry Ergas, economist (I assume he plays as well as sponsors!)
    Andrew Denton, TV host / director
    Ron Barassi, ex-footballer

(etc)
    (but sure people can come up with more prominent ones than some of these)

Thanks for any help with this - much appreciated.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    FIDE have sent a request for information about famous people who are known to play chess (not necessarily competitively or well). This is to assist Agon with securing sponsorship for the world championship cycle by demonstrating chess is relevant and is played by key people. They are seeking at least 10 and ideally up to 20 examples per country.

Examples given are diplomats, movie stars, TV hosts, bankers and politicians.

I'll consider including anyone who is alive and who is famous enough to have a substantial Wikipedia page (not just a stub) devoted to them, for reasons other than chess, bridge, poker or other games.

For instance:

Richard Farleigh, businessman
    Stephen Mayne, shareholder activist
    Tim Fischer, former deputy PM
    Michael Veitch, comedian / radio host (!)
    Henry Ergas, economist (I assume he plays as well as sponsors!)
    Andrew Denton, TV host / director
    Ron Barassi, ex-footballer

(etc)
    (but sure people can come up with more prominent ones than some of these)

Thanks for any help with this - much appreciated.
    Kevin,

You can add Russell Crowe who plays chess as well.

lost

Thanks lost (how could I forget? We've even had a thread on him.)

I suspect we could also include a number of rugby players. Didn't Mal Meninga open a tournament once?

CC Candidate Master

Chess players

Steve Larkham, Joe Roff, Adam Spencer, Peter Fitzsimmons, Ric Charlesworth...I'm pretty sure about these. Miron Bleiberg plays a bit. So does Ron Clarke. Maybe more will come to mind.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Thanks lost (how could I forget? We've even had a thread on him.)

I suspect we could also include a number of rugby players. Didn't Mal Meninga open a tournament once?
    Kevin,

I am not sure how you could forget.

I have to do the same process for Palau but it is extremely hard to find anyone from Palau.

lost

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I seem to recall a column of Chris Depasquale's claiming Joe Dolce was a keen player.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Dolce

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I seem to recall a column of Chris Depasquale's claiming Joe Dolce was a keen player.
    Thanks for bringing back some more memories!

I remember Joe Dolce visiting the old MCC (Peel St, North Melbourne - *) and playing casual games with members.

He must have been an MCC's member at the time or payed his visitor fees.

Otherwise, the then president Bob Brooking who was doing duty officer shifts every afternoon would not have accepted his celebrity status as an excuse not to pay visitors' fees.

Having said that, Joe Dolce was the most likeable and friendly person one could imagine.

I also remember him always dressed in those silverish 80s suits with metallic pointed toe shoes to match.

One day he dropped in with the Bachelors from Prague singer and Fitzroy cult personality Henry Maas. I am not sure if Maas played Chess.

The late Vic Pateras and myself went to a North Melbourne Night Club to check the band out (brass jazzy rock - Blood Swet and Tears style but with original sound and material) at the peak of their popularity in the mid 80s. It was really crowed but the performance was great.

- * For a pictorial old MCC down memory lane walk please click here

https://picasaweb.google.com/1175791...SQzqbI8v_XyQE#

For more interesting reading about the old MCC please click here

http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=13616
    Last edited by ER; 26-04-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

CC Candidate Master
    Apparently the Remote River Man, the world's most famous explorer of wilderness rivers, is something of a chess player...

www.remoteriverman.com

Scott Colliver has sent me a few suggestions including Patrick Johnson (sprinter). Actually Johnson has only a short Wikipedia entry but is certainly well-known enough to be included.

dedication or obsession

I first read about it in Shaun Press's The Closet Grandmaster blog years ago as a part of an obituary for Heath Ledger's tragic loss...

Well Heath Ledger is not with us anymore, but I think he deserves a mention here.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.heathheathens.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3802
    "Heath was a very good chess player. He wanted a chessboard or two in here, so we could never not do that."

Quote Originally Posted by http://paulhoffman.wordpress.com/category/heath-ledger/

In an interview, Ledger discussed his chess playing on MTV:

MTV: I hear you play a lot of chess in Washington Square Park.

Heath Ledger: Yeah. I’ve played since I was a kid. I play at least one game a day.

MTV: That’s dedication.

Ledger: Yeah, or obsession.
    I 've also found online at least two chess related Ledger's pictures including one of him as a kid, but I am too busy to publish. They can be easily located anyway!

I 've made a note to ask the guys at Marshall Chess Club if he ever visited there and if they 've any stories about it. I am sure the roughies at Washington Square Park would know a thing or two

Actually, AC had also published an article about Ledger in the other forum at some stage; If he had managed to place all his obituaries in one place so they could be easily located I would have included the link
    Last edited by ER; 26-04-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    Actually, AC had also published an article about Ledger in the other forum at some stage; If he had managed to place all his obituaries in one place so they could be easily located I would have included the link
    No point anyway; links to the other place are blocked here to discourage attacks.

CC Heath Ledger thread:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=7524

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity - was Heath in any way related to Neville Ledger (Tasmanian chess book seller)?
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Just out of curiosity - was Heath in any way related to Neville Ledger (Tasmanian chess book seller)?
    I don't know. I have wondered it too but have never got around to asking Neville this!

Quote Originally Posted by KB
    No point anyway; links to the other place are blocked here to discourage attacks.
    I went for his throat when he posted an Alcantara obituary of mine without quoting the source (*) so I wanted to avoid him ranting for not quoting him if I incidently posted something that contained the whole or part of his text.

Wow hadn't seen this, amazing then to neglect referring to him in this thread!

(*) he did afterwards claiming unsuccessful cut and paste operation in the first place
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information