Thread: 2 monitors

2 monitors

good evening everybody.

ive recently picked up an old skool philips CRT monitor (free) and was wondering if it can be attached to the vga/dvi-d port as obviously the vga/d-sub port is already taken.

im not too sure if some sort of adapter, that allows the philips monitor male d-sub port plug attach to the desktops dvi-d port, is what is needed.

any suggestions most welcome !

--------------------------------------

on another note is there any law governing cpu usage ? i can run identical programs and get markedly different cpu readings.

ive checked the resource monitor and quite regularly had 80-90% of the cpu's resources allocated to windows media player and chessbase light 2007 (without any engine running) alone. this i find bizarre.

on another day (as is the case right now) they take up less than 1% combined.

cpu usage is baffling !
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius Reilly
    good evening everybody.

ive recently picked up an old skool philips CRT monitor (free) and was wondering if it can be attached to the vga/dvi-d port as obviously the vga/d-sub port is already taken.

im not too sure if some sort of adapter, that allows the philips monitor male d-sub port plug attach to the desktops dvi-d port, is what is needed.

any suggestions most welcome !
    Yes you should be able to get a converter from your local Dick Smith (or similar) store to allow you to plug the monitor in. But I take it you have only 1 port available, is that right?

You could either upgrade your PC with a video card that has two ports on it - that would allow you to have dual screen running side by side.

You could alternatively get a splitter, to piggyback 2 monitors off the one port on your computer. The limitation there is that the two monitors would be displaying the same thing, as opposed to an extension of the screen real estate. Something like this. Again, check with your local store.

on another note is there any law governing cpu usage ? i can run identical programs and get markedly different cpu readings.

ive checked the resource monitor and quite regularly had 80-90% of the cpu's resources allocated to windows media player and chessbase light 2007 (without any engine running) alone. this i find bizarre.

on another day (as is the case right now) they take up less than 1% combined.

cpu usage is baffling !
    Could be a lot of different factors, but one thing that will very quickly cause a CPU spike is if you don't have enough RAM. When your computer needs more RAM capacity than it has available, it uses a hard drive instead. HD access is much much slower than RAM access, so it slows your computer down drastically. Next time it happens, have a look at your RAM utilisation. If it is up near 100%, maybe that's your problem. Chess engines can use a lot of RAM if you let them.
    meep meep

that cable looks like the go r.r.

as for the cpu issue im currently running 8 gig ram and having problems without any chess engine in use. (the desktop is a recent build).

so im still having to suspend or deactivate programs to keep it from hitting 100% cpu usage.
    Consecutive and slow -

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I was disappoint the following image was not posted in this thread. I hope it doesn't get adjudicated as off-topic...

So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I was disappoint the following image was not posted in this thread. I hope it doesn't get adjudicated as off-topic...

are they able to help me with my problem or are they too busy hugging ?
    Consecutive and slow -

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    are they able to help me with my problem or are they too busy hugging ?
    Only so far as it is a demonstration of a dual monitors in operation.

BTW they are meant to be wrestling rather than hugging but the guy at the front looks to be enjoying it a little more than he should be.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

if its a form of wrestling, then they might be more appropriately named "dual duel monitors" ..............

the rattus rattus of lizards.
    Last edited by Redmond Barry; 23-04-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    Consecutive and slow -

LoL ,

A real knee slapper there Rincewinds

Meh thought of the exact same pic in meh peanut sized brain when meh readed the thread lead -lol & lookie There RW Posted up da pic-Wow like minds in sinc -lol

-Sprout85 =)
    Last edited by littlesprout85; 24-04-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    ChessChat's Break0ut High Score Champion - 02/02/2012
    ChessChat's Space Invaders High Score Champion - 09/24/2012
    ChessChat's Moon Lander High Score Champion - 10/07/2012
    ChessChat's Asteroids High Score Champion - 10/19/2012

ChessChat's Current Reigning King of the Arcade since 10/07/2012

CC FIDE Master
    How did this work for you? I have dual monitors, but threw in for the better video card. I get annoyed now when I have to work with one (like on my laptop), as it's so much nice to not have to switch windows back and forth when comparing data or quoting from something you are reading.
    In regione caecorum rex est luscus ~Erasmus

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~Second Amendment to the United States Constitution

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    BTW they are meant to be wrestling rather than hugging but the guy at the front looks to be enjoying it a little more than he should be.
    I think the connection is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Jono
    How did this work for you? I have dual monitors, but threw in for the better video card. I get annoyed now when I have to work with one (like on my laptop), as it's so much nice to not have to switch windows back and forth when comparing data or quoting from something you are reading.
    i had to end up buying an adapter since the monitor was a little old and couldnt plug into the appropriate port but its all working quite nicely.

now i dont have to resize programs to fit into one screen which is really good. i dont always need to use both of them but more often than not i need to.

Thread Information