View Poll Results: What do you make of Rajlich's claim?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is true and the King's Gambit is unsound

1 11.11%
  • It's an April Fools Day joke

7 77.78%
  • It's not a joke but it is wrong anyway

1 11.11%
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Rajlich: King's Gambit busted (AFD joke)

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8047

in which Vasik Rajlich, programmer of the controversial program Rybka, sensationally claims that he has used massive computing power to show that in all probability the King's Gambit loses for white in all lines except 3.Be2 which draws.

However most discussion I have seen suggests this is an April Fools' Day joke released one day late and based on interviews conducted on April 1. Chessbase is notorious for April Fools Day articles.

I've added a poll but kept it a private poll so people can vote without risk of being publicly spotted as April Fools.

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Are you serious ?
    Perhaps you missed the full page advertisement for rybka4 at the bottom of the page ?
    Sorry, but nothing positive to say of this guy.

That sounds like a vote for option three to me!

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    The PGN header is dated April 1.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    What about an option, "It was intended as an April Fools Day joke, but is inadvertently true." I tend to agree, and I think Solo even more so (he joked to me after a win against Stawski's KG that his second move was the mistake).

A few things look suspect. For one thing, after writing "A Bust to the King's Gambit" in 1961, Fischer himself used the KG to good effect a few times, e.g. a good strategic win against Evans, trapping a dim knight on the rim, and Minic, an exchange sac to pile up on f7. Fischer played 3. Bc4 rather than 3. Nf3, the only line he considered in his article. The analysis of the "Fischer Defence" also looks suspect, since most King's Gambiteers don't play 4. Bc4 against it these days.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 04-04-2012 at 03:00 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Chessbase have admitted that it was an April Fools' Day joke and claim that it was legitimate because they published it at 23:55 on 1/4/2012 in American Samoa. A rather desperate stretch of the traditions of April Fools Day given that nobody in the target audience would have read it on April 1. (I'm also familiar with a rather convenient tradition that AFD jokes must be deployed before midday, which suits me since I don't get up very early!)

The Capablanca billiards article was also a joke and widely spotted as such since Edward Winter had done an easily-findable article exposing it as such.

Must admit I was a bit sucked in by Max's Kriegspiel joke although fortunately I did not reply to it.

Thread Information