CC Rookie

Getting back into it

Hey guys, looking to get back into chess. Quick background but i'm 18 at the moment but when i was around 11-12 i used to do very well in quite a few tournaments and usually played respectably against state champs and the national champ of my age. Anyway i used to have a decent attacking game but as i had to vs stronger players i had to be more defensive until my game was entirely defensive which by nature i was horrible at. After primary school and at about 13 i just completely stopped playing. Anyway fast forward to now and have played for a few weeks online etc and at the moment i just play a horrible defensive game and can't really attack anymore.

I've played quite a bit in the last couple weeks but not seeming to improve at all. Anyone know any material online i can lookup or anyone want to have a quick couple games with me and let me know what my problem is. (i REALLY REALLY suck now so keep that in mind)..

Cheers
    Last edited by ClintonL; 01-04-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Maybe you could post the PGN notation of a couple of your games here and get some tips that way.
    meep meep

There are a few threads on this board under the Coaching forum that could assist. E.g suggestions of good books.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Now playing at Rooty Hill Chess Club. Visit http://http://www.rootyhillchess.org/

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Chess.com has just recently updated and now boasts an interesting chess course of chess mentor/ articles to study for improvement.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

chess.com is actually a pretty good site to play on too.

Now playing at Rooty Hill Chess Club. Visit http://http://www.rootyhillchess.org/

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by road runner
    Maybe you could post the PGN notation of a couple of your games here and get some tips that way.
    Very good idea. Of course, when I saw the thread title, I thought you were in your 40s or over It's actually quite normal to start off as a wild attacker, then find that these attacks don't work against stronger opponents.

It would be good to play through well-annotated games of the great players.
    “Charity is one of the nobler human motivations. The act of reaching into one's own pockets to help a fellow man in need is praiseworthy and laudable. Reaching into someone else's pocket is despicable and worthy of condemnation.” — Walter Williams

Thread Information