View Poll Results: Who will be the 2012 Victorian Champion?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zelesco

1 3.57%
  • Morris

5 17.86%
  • Garner

0 0%
  • Stojic

2 7.14%
  • Levi

0 0%
  • Sandler

1 3.57%
  • Stevens

1 3.57%
  • Cheng

7 25.00%
  • Hacche

1 3.57%
  • Goldenberg

2 7.14%
  • West

5 17.86%
  • Dragicevic

3 10.71%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pablito15
    Are these VIC Champs games published anywhere?

Cheers,
    Paul
    I've got the games from last night on my computer.
    I will be publishing bulletins for the players which will have all the games in them.
    I will also be adding some 'commentary' on my blog & posting one game from the round there.
    At the conclusion of the event, I'll post a PGN file here (which I'm sure Greg Canfell will also put on the FIDE site with the tournament report).

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    Although definitely stronger at the top end, the tournament does not have the 'tail' of the Doeberl or SIO & the average rating is almost identical to that of this year's Australian Championships (in fact if you take the average of the Aust. Champs & multiply it by 12, there is just one rating point difference between the two fields).

Average for the Doeberl Cup Premier was 2182
    Sydney International average was 2112
    Australian Championships average was 2242

I'm still happy to stand by my statement ... though it does help the averages that Karl Zelesco's FIDE rating has gone up over 100 points already this year!
    I note that you appear to judge the strength of a tournament by the average rating. Others may judge it by the number of strong players playing.

Your method means that a tournament of Kasparov, Fischer, Karpov, Carlsen, Capablanca, Lasker, Alekhine, Morphy and Oliver Cordover would not be particularly strong for a largely GM event as the average rating is about 2500. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo
    I note that you appear to judge the strength of a tournament by the average rating. Others may judge it by the number of strong players playing.

Your method means that a tournament of Kasparov, Fischer, Karpov, Carlsen, Capablanca, Lasker, Alekhine, Morphy and Oliver Cordover would not be particularly strong for a largely GM event as the average rating is about 2500. Hmmm.
    I did acknowledge that it doesn't have the strength at the top end ... and although it doesn't really apply to Swiss events, the FIDE idea of tournament categories goes by average rating of the field, so it seems like a reasonable method of judging the strength of the tournament.

Either way, its a strong tournament for one played in Australia, particularly when you have no titled foreigners to boost the strength of the tournament.

CC FIDE Master
    I did acknowledge that it doesn't have the strength at the top end ... and although it doesn't really apply to Swiss events, the FIDE idea of tournament categories goes by average rating of the field, so it seems like a reasonable method of judging the strength of the tournament.
    You seem to have fallen for the comparing apples and oranges argument. Comparing the average rating of a large Swiss with the average rating of a round-robin and using that to claim that one is stronger than the other does not make sense.

Also claiming that the tournament is strong without having any strong (foreign) players seems rather strange. Tournaments are strong because they have strong players playing, not because they don't.

If you want to claim that it's a strong Vic. Championship that's fine, but please don't try to compare it with events like Doeberl, SIO, etc. That's just nonsense.

Appreciate seeing the games on your blog. If you can publish more than one per round that would be even better.

Cheers,
    Jammo

Personally I do think this is a strong tournament.
    It's the Victorian championship, so if I were to 'compare apples with apples', I should compare it with the other states' championships right?
    In that respect I would be surprised if this isn't the strongest state championship in Australia this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo
    Appreciate seeing the games on your blog. If you can publish more than one per round that would be even better.

Cheers,
    Jammo
    If you, or anyone else knows of a good place where you can load multiple games into a replayable web-based application, then let me know & I'll see what I can do in regards to getting the other games online.
    As it stands at present, I like the replayer that chessvideos.tv have, so use that, but it only allows you to have one game per replayer & I don't really want to have 5 or more replayer windows in a blog post.

I'll leave the apples/oranges comparisson for the time being, however flushfyre does make a good point ...

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flushfyre
    It's the Victorian championship, so if I were to 'compare apples with apples', I should compare it with the other states' championships right?
    In that respect I would be surprised if this isn't the strongest state championship in Australia this year.
    The event has 4 IMs and 4 FMs in a field of 12 players.... not sure whether that makes it "strong" or not - but I dont really care either way... I dont know why people feel a need to compare it to anything at all really - but if we have to, then why not compare it to other Vic Championships from previous years?
    People with nothing to hide post using their real names...

CC International Master Paul Cavezza's Avatar
    I've got the games from last night on my computer.
    I will be publishing bulletins for the players which will have all the games in them.
    I will also be adding some 'commentary' on my blog & posting one game from the round there.
    At the conclusion of the event, I'll post a PGN file here (which I'm sure Greg Canfell will also put on the FIDE site with the tournament report).
    Good stuff Kerry

CC FIDE Master
    Hi flushfyre,

Some people may think that you have made a really good point, however unfortunately it's not relevant to the discussion that we are having.

I'm responding to the suggestion that this event is "making it one of, if not the strongest event so far in Australia this year!", which is clearly false. It may well be the strongest state championship this year, and be regarded as a strong tournament, but that's not in dispute.

Cheers,
    Jammo

CC FIDE Master
    Hi flushfyre,

Some people may think that you have made a really good point, however unfortunately it's not relevant to the discussion that we are having.

I'm responding to the suggestion that this event is "making it one of, if not the strongest event so far in Australia this year!", which is clearly false. It may well be the strongest state championship this year, and be regarded as a strong tournament, but that's not in dispute.

Cheers,
    Jammo

Results from tonight's games:

Code:
    No Name                Rtg  Loc   Result   Name             Rtg  Loc 

1 Dragicevic, Domagoj 2303 2304    P:P    Stevens, Tristan 2178 2148
     2 Cheng, Bobby        2352 2362    0:1    Sandler, Leonid  2265 2298
     3 Hacche, David J     2067 2081    0:1    Levi, Eddy L     2120 2118
     4 Goldenberg, Igor    2385 2414    1:0    Stojic, Dusan    2316 2300
     5 West, Guy           2328 2325    1:0    Garner, David J  2171 2134
     6 Zelesco, Karl       2093 2156    0:1    Morris, James    2327 2356

Round 3 results:

Code:
     1 Morris, James    2327 2356    1:0    Dragicevic, Domagoj 2303 2304
     2 Garner, David J  2171 2134    0:1    Zelesco, Karl       2093 2156
     3 Stojic, Dusan    2316 2300    0:1    West, Guy           2328 2325
     4 Levi, Eddy L     2120 2118    0:1    Goldenberg, Igor    2385 2414
     5 Sandler, Leonid  2265 2298    1:0    Hacche, David J     2067 2081
     6 Stevens, Tristan 2178 2148    0:1    Cheng, Bobby        2352 2362

CC Candidate Master
    How often in Australian chess these days would you get all six games decisive and the player with the higher local rating winning in every single game?

Pretty unusual I would have thought.

CC Grandmaster
    So far all 17 games were decisive. Very unusual for Vic champ.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

The 'colour commentary' on the tournament is now available on my blog

Thread Information