Thread: GNU/Linux

CC International Master

GNU/Linux

General discussion for GNU/Linux users. Personally, I use the OS for practical reasons. My laptop (Specs):

Processor: Dual-Core Intel® Pentium® B960 2.20GHz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3
    Hard Drive: 80GB SSD

Got landed for $840, which is a lot better than I could find in Win. Mac. Since being a student I suppose the monetary factor was the biggest however using it has allowed me to pick up some new skills. Latex seems to be the most convenient word processor I've used. Doing screen plays and poems in proper format is really just a click away. Also if you are a mathematician you may be interested as it visually represents fractals etc. The other convenient thing is if I have problems I just run a virtual windows box ( All I use it for is Ct-art).

So yes, discuss OS's and whatever handy programmes are available. If you are interested Puppy is an entertaining, though unstable, OS which runs straight off your RAM.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

Account Suspended

I'm using Ubuntu Linux

Hi Saragossa,
    I have several desktop computers and laptops all of which have come from the street or freecycle.I use Linux on all of them and mostly Ubuntu.My best desktop machine is a dual core pentium 3GHZ with 1-2GB of ram,300GB harddrive.
    My best Laptop is an Evo 1.5Ghz CPU with 720Mb ram or so.These are perfectly adequate for my business and for my personal use.I used to do a fair bit of programming in Python and Perl as well as web development a few years back when I was trying to get work in that area again.Now I mainly just use the Chrome web browser for work and personal use.
    I use Linux for a few reasons,some of which are;it has better security than windows,its free to use on as many machines as you like,it has excellent programming tools ,and I believe Microsoft to be an unethical organisation and do not want to support it.I have used Linux for about 5 years now and love it.

The main thing that I don't like about Linux and that turns a lot of people off it are the bugs! There seem to be much more than in other operating systems and I believe this to be partly due to sabotage.I am going to stick with it though.It's well worth it in my opinion.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    Latex seems to be the most convenient word processor I've used. Doing screen plays and poems in proper format is really just a click away. Also if you are a mathematician you may be interested as it visually represents fractals etc.
    Almost all maths journals and many physics (especially theoretical physics) ones use Latex extensively if not exclusively. I don't know of a better way of typesetting mathematics.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DogLover
    Hi Saragossa,
    I have several desktop computers and laptops all of which have come from the street or freecycle.I use Linux on all of them and mostly Ubuntu.My best desktop machine is a dual core pentium 3GHZ with 1-2GB of ram,300GB harddrive.
    My best Laptop is an Evo 1.5Ghz CPU with 720Mb ram or so.These are perfectly adequate for my business and for my personal use.I used to do a fair bit of programming in Python and Perl as well as web development a few years back when I was trying to get work in that area again.Now I mainly just use the Chrome web browser for work and personal use.
    I use Linux for a few reasons,some of which are;it has better security than windows,its free to use on as many machines as you like,it has excellent programming tools ,and I believe Microsoft to be an unethical organisation and do not want to support it.I have used Linux for about 5 years now and love it.

The main thing that I don't like about Linux and that turns a lot of people off it are the bugs! There seem to be much more than in other operating systems and I believe this to be partly due to sabotage.I am going to stick with it though.It's well worth it in my opinion.
    Good to hear. I've particularly enjoyed getting free 'old and slow' laptops then running a small distro on them and getting great speeds. I looked into the poor ethics of winmac and tend to agree that gnu/linux's model is better. For this reason I operate trisquel 5.0 and browse with FF. Although I'm not that convinced. MINT is a great distro if you like the user-friendliness of Ubuntu. Any-hoo, keep at it.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    I finally bit the dust and have started to use my test system - Fedora 14 (Linux 2.6.35.6, 64 bit) as my main OS. Fedora (like most distros) traditionally had lots of minor bugs, but this version seems pretty good.

KDE-4.5.2 feels solid enough, and has some lovely eye candy. Amarok (music player) 2.3.2 and GThumb (image viewer) are better then before, and the yum package installer is quite mature now. Scid vs PC is faster under 64 bit, and i can run Komodo 3 and Critter-1.4 and other closed binaries/programs too. Using the ext3 filesystem for the first time rather than Reiserfs, and no problems so far. I generally prefer KDE because Gnome's configurability is so poor, but i see Gnome-2.32 is installed so i'll have to try it out.

The negatives include: a little hassle getting DVD playback working, and disabling pulse audio - which doesn't play nice with some old games (and my SBLive can mix sound anyway). Took me a while to configure Konqueror instead of Dolphin as my default file manager.

The great thing about Linux is upgrading your hardware is generally much easier. Just take the hard drive out of the old box, and plug it into the new one. Finished My current box is a Core2Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz, with a fanless Nvidia 8400, and 2Gb ram. Mobo is a very cheap and reliable Asus P5G41. Nvidia's Linux support is amazing, so i've stuck with them. But i hear ATI is better nowadays.

Of course I have a hundred little programs from Fedora 7 that i use occasionally and will have to be moved over one at a time. I tried google-chrome too, but can't say i'm very impressed - so still using Firefox 3.6.10. Boy - did they lose the plot with their new versioning system.

Thread Information