Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

FIDE "Womens World Championships" shenanigans

A few things for those with an interest in the FFWCC:

* Chinese Chess Federation on behalf of Hou Yifan put a proposal to FIDE to the effect that the Grand Prix winner and knockout winner play a match to determine the challenger to the standing Champion. The point was made that players qualifying for the current knockout have already qualified for the "World Championship" so it is not fair (and indeed would expose FIDE to legal action) for the status of that event to be downgraded after its qualifying cycle has begun. China were asked to put a proposal to the World Championships commission (WCOC) for the future.

* Having had great trouble finding a bidder, FIDE awarded the delayed 2017 "World Championships" to Iran. Only now a few weeks later has there been an uprising of concern about Iran's unsuitability as a venue, on grounds of:

- requirement for women to wear a hijab
    - disadvantage for women who have male coaches to whom they are not married
    - travel advisories to avoid Iran from some countries.

At the GA the first point was raised by delegates but from memory the second and third were not. I don't know if anyone made a recording of what was said but the assurances given by Iran were enough that nobody opposed it further or asked for a vote. Something may have been lost in translation about exactly what assurances were being given.

Current state of play is that US Women's Champion Nazi Paikidze is boycotting, Nigel Short and Susan Polgar are having yet another flamewar, and no other qualified player has as yet announced a boycott. But the issue has only been in the public domain for a few days so there may not be any more.

If hijabs are really required it is going to make for a very strange broadcast spectacle to the world.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 01-10-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    If hijabs are really required it is going to make for a very strange broadcast spectacle to the world.
    Hijabs were required when the Grand Prix was played there, so this should be no different. As for point 2 and 3, I have no further information, but they are valid points.

- disadvantage for women who have male coaches to whom they are not married
    maybe a reason for muslim feminists to push for polygamy to apply for females too?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    Well they can have their names and numbers printed on the back (like if footy games) of the hijab!

Nigel Short and Susan Polgar are having yet another flamewar,
    Add Susan Polgar vs Nazi Paikidze - Barns flamewar on Twitter too!

I have to admit that Paikidze's boycotting the event won't really bother the organisers since the US champion is only rated 98th in the world (women's list)
    and 4th in the women's list of her adopted country.

If Irina Krush (35th in the world women's list) and No. 1 in the US boycotted it might have been a different story.

Early days yet so let's wait!
    Last edited by ER; 01-10-2016 at 06:02 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Something else I can add is that there was no notice and no formal bid.

An interesting Nigel Short interview
    The super GM on UK's Talk2me radio program
    https://audioboom.com/boos/5112602-n...-row-in-tehran
    Certain questions by the interviewer show that he doesn't know much about chess.
    I mean interviewing a chess legend like GM Nigel Short and asking him if he still plays chess, gimme a break please!
    Last edited by ER; 01-10-2016 at 07:25 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    And another issue right now...how many of the top female players will attend the next world championship in Iran. Many are planning to refuse but I bet all the Russians will come!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    And another issue right now...how many of the top female players will attend the next world championship in Iran. Many are planning to refuse but I bet all the Russians will come!
    Apart from Paikidze do you know of anyone else who has qualified, or is likely to do so, who is likely to refuse? The issue is only just breaking so it may well take some time for other boycotts to be announced.

Just the latest disgrace from FIDE. FIDE is supposed to be politically and religiously neutral, as GM Short points point, because they are forcing women to adopt an Islamic symbol. Shame on Zsuzsa Polgár for supporting this nonsense instead of standing with Nazi Paikidze.

Interesting that Short, wrongly accused of being a MCP not long ago thanks to people taking out of context an article about which reasonable people can disagree (see the thread Nigel Short gender-difference comments row), is defending women's rights more than Polgár who has previously done so much to promote chess among women.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC International Master

WWC Iran 2017

Emil Sutovsky posted on facebook the following interesting opinion.

FIDE has brought a very serious argument for approving Iran as a venue for the Women's World Championship: NO SINGLE DELEGATE out of 156 federations present objected to that proposal. Now, that is a fact to grasp. ONE HUNDRED FIFTY SIX DELEGATES. East and West. The pillars of democracy and totalitarian regimes singing in unison. Gens una sumus. Bravo, encore!
    Do they care at all? Some of them may have been missing at that very moment, but still... Nobody saw any reason to be concerned? At least to discuss it properly?
    That's the biggest problem of the chess world - national federations are often ruled and represented by the people who don't really care or care only about their own interest. That's why we hear about more and more conflicts between the national federations and their own top players, but we seldom hear about any new ideas or bold statement coming from the federations. And in many federations, the same people are ruling for 20-30 years...Good for FIDE - it is much easier to shepherd the federations this way. Bad for players, and in a nutshell - bad for chess.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonid Sandler View Post
    Emil Sutovsky posted on facebook the following interesting opinion.

FIDE has brought a very serious argument for approving Iran as a venue for the Women's World Championship: NO SINGLE DELEGATE out of 156 federations present objected to that proposal. Now, that is a fact to grasp. ONE HUNDRED FIFTY SIX DELEGATES. East and West. The pillars of democracy and totalitarian regimes singing in unison. Gens una sumus. Bravo, encore!
    Do they care at all? Some of them may have been missing at that very moment, but still... Nobody saw any reason to be concerned? At least to discuss it properly?
    That's the biggest problem of the chess world - national federations are often ruled and represented by the people who don't really care or care only about their own interest. That's why we hear about more and more conflicts between the national federations and their own top players, but we seldom hear about any new ideas or bold statement coming from the federations. And in many federations, the same people are ruling for 20-30 years...Good for FIDE - it is much easier to shepherd the federations this way. Bad for players, and in a nutshell - bad for chess.
    Well-said! Actually, he nailed it!@

The FIDE statement fails to note that concerns were raised and assurances given, even though no-one outright voted against. As usual with these things there is a lack of a verbatim transcript. I believe there was ambiguity in that the Iranian delegate said "they can just wear a scarf" without specifying headscarf; even so, the connotations of "headscarf" and "hijab" are not necessarily the same.

Australia doesn't have a policy of objecting to the award of tournaments on human rights grounds. Possibly we should have one so that I as delegate can just vote against every award of any tournament to a country on that list, but I suspect that if it was consistent it would exclude quite a lot of countries to which tournaments are often awarded. I will raise it at the next Council meeting to see if the ACF wants to form a policy on it.

CC Grandmaster
    The FIDE statement fails to note that concerns were raised and assurances given, even though no-one outright voted against. As usual with these things there is a lack of a verbatim transcript. I believe there was ambiguity in that the Iranian delegate said "they can just wear a scarf" without specifying headscarf; even so, the connotations of "headscarf" and "hijab" are not necessarily the same.

Australia doesn't have a policy of objecting to the award of tournaments on human rights grounds. Possibly we should have one so that I as delegate can just vote against every award of any tournament to a country on that list, but I suspect that if it was consistent it would exclude quite a lot of countries to which tournaments are often awarded. I will raise it at the next Council meeting to see if the ACF wants to form a policy on it.
    Some years ago, WCC was played in Lybia (under Gadaffi) and still it was possible.
    One of the problems that tournaments are awarded to those country is I think lack of interest in such events from other nations. With women's chess in particular, in recent years - all events have been held in: Russia, India, China Iran, Mongolia, Albania, Azerbajan, Turkey, Armenia etc. Can not recall and events held in developed European countries or in the USA. I doubt Fide is discriminating against them - they are probably not interested in running such events and can not secure sponsorship.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    They should make a circuit and every country gets a turn, but if your country looks like it going to be at war when your turn comes up you can elect to skip your turn or be asked to.
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    One of the problems that tournaments are awarded to those country is I think lack of interest in such events from other nations. With women's chess in particular, in recent years - all events have been held in: Russia, India, China Iran, Mongolia, Albania, Azerbajan, Turkey, Armenia etc. Can not recall and events held in developed European countries or in the USA. I doubt Fide is discriminating against them - they are probably not interested in running such events and can not secure sponsorship.
    I think that's pretty much correct. I don't recall any bidding wars for the WWCC in the last several years.

Australian Government's position on travelling to Iran: http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countrie...ages/iran.aspx

Thread Information