0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Aronian - Kramnik match 21-28 April

Six game match just announced.

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7906

good match

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    That would be a great match, 2nd vs 3rd in the world FIDE ratings I am told!

BTW till Kasparov's reign finished was ever a case when a World Championship match did not involve the best (rating wise) player in the world?
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

Should be interesting. Only the prize money at stake, no title, so maybe they will look for wins rather than draws!
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    President of, and arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    BTW till Kasparov's reign finished was ever a case when a World Championship match did not involve the best (rating wise) player in the world?
    Counting World Championship matches only as undisputed or "classical" world championships, I don't think so, but the FIDE rating system only began in 1971. Using unofficial systems that go back further, like Sonas' system, would probably give examples of such matches.

By the way since Kasparov ceased to be World Champion there have been two such cases - in 2004 Kramnik played Leko while Kasparov was still #1 and in 2010 Anand played Topalov while Carlsen was #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Counting World Championship matches only as undisputed or "classical" world championships, I don't think so, but the FIDE rating system only began in 1971. Using unofficial systems that go back further, like Sonas' system, would probably give examples of such matches.

By the way since Kasparov ceased to be World Champion there have been two such cases - in 2004 Kramnik played Leko while Kasparov was still #1 and in 2010 Anand played Topalov while Carlsen was #1.
    Thanks, good info!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

Starts in about 48 hours. I've put a poll up.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Aronian 1-0
    http://www.chessdom.com/kramnik-aronian-2012-live/
    [Event "?"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "????.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "GMKramnik"]
    [Black "GMAronian"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteElo "2801"]
    [BlackElo "2820"]
    PGN Viewer

BTW - the games seem broadcast on FICS. So with scidvspc, just "observe GMAronian", or if the game is finished, "smoves GMAronian -1"
    Last edited by Agent Smith; 22-04-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Where did white go wrong? He seemed to be doing OK around move 25. Was 26.f4 the error, allowing black to grab teh b2-pawn and generate counterplay?
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Candidate Master
    He is already much worse at the start of the ending, so the question is where he went wrong in the opening. I think Re1 was unusual, and more common is Qc2, but Kramnik must have prepared something! In the ending Kramnik was desperately trying to swap Pawns and the Bishop was much better than the Knight. A great game by Aronian winning without his opponent making any clear mistakes!
    I played my best for Him Pa Rumpumpumpum

Do what you do do well

CC International Master
    11.Re1 is a standard move but 14.Re3 looks strange unless Black has already played ...Bg4. 14.h3 makes more sense though 14...b5 might still be fine for Black.
    Grandmaster, FIDE Trainer, 2018-19 Australian Champion

Do you love your chess as much as I do?

What is your chess dream?

Are you willing to do what it takes?

Everyone who is an expert at something now...learned from another expert.

Share your chess journey with me illingworthchess@gmail.com and Ill give you my 7-Page Basic Chess Training Plan, to direct your chess training and improvement.

CC International Master
    According to Shipov, 16...Qe6 was a novelty, which was a surprise for Kramnik (this game followed a game between the current european woman champion Gunina and Muzychuk). Kramnik did not react perfectly to the novelty... So I guess it is either that novelty is so good that the improvement could be found earlier or that Kramnik's play after move 16 can be improved.

CC International Master
    Yes 11. Re1 is a quite standard move, while 14. Re3 was a novelty played by Gunina, which Kramnik presumably liked...

Game two was a draw.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Nice win for the ol' fellow
    1-1/2 1-1/2

In the end, Aronian's black bishop and knight had no respite due to lack of supporting pawns.
    15 ... bxc6 seems to have been his undoing. Stockfish finds an equalising line.

[Event "?"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "????.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "GMKramnik"]
    [Black "GMAronian"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [WhiteElo "2801"]
    [BlackElo "2820"]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Agent Smith; 25-04-2012 at 09:43 AM.

CC International Master Jesper Norgaard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus
    Nice win for the ol' fellow
    1-1/2 1-1/2
    Shouldn't it be 1-1 ?

I stopped counting after "one minus a half ..."
    Chess well played is imagination, calculation, observation, experience and memorization in order of importance.

Thread Information