Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Wanted: Aus Champs 1993-4 Full Crosstable

I am seeking a full crosstable of the 1993-4 Australian Championships held in Melbourne. This is to assist with Trevor Tao's IM norm application. Thanks to anyone who can assist. Electronic results, scan, posted - whatever, it's all good.

email: k_bonham@tassie.net.au

post: 410 Macquarie St, South Hobart, Tas 7004. (If posting please let me know first so I can tell others not to bother sending.)

Kevin Bonham
    ACF Delegate to FIDE

CC International Master
    I have the games from the tournament on my database, but unfortunately there are a few games missing, so the crosstable is incomplete.
    Grandmaster, FIDE Trainer, 2018-19 Australian Champion

Do you love your chess as much as I do?

What is your chess dream?

Are you willing to do what it takes?

Everyone who is an expert at something now...learned from another expert.

Share your chess journey with me – illingworthchess@gmail.com – and I’ll give you my 7-Page Basic Chess Training Plan, to direct your chess training and improvement.

Was there a national magazine then? Surely it would be in that ...
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "My favourite piece is the one that wins" - Bobby Fischer

Quote Originally Posted by Max Illingworth
    I have the games from the tournament on my database, but unfortunately there are a few games missing, so the crosstable is incomplete.
    Thanks, I have received a database of games (thanks Scott!) that is apparently missing two round eight and one round eleven games.

If anyone has a full results list, perhaps c/- Peter Parr's magazine at the time, that would be very helpful.

By the way I have now found the same PGN file of games (with the same three possibly unplayed games missing) on Ozbase, contrary to AC's trolling accusation which I deleted and which I hope he will now retract from the other forum. (I did check there first but searched the wrong section.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    By the way I have now found the same PGN file of games (with the same three possibly unplayed games missing) on Ozbase, contrary to AC's trolling accusation which I deleted and which I hope he will now retract from the other forum. (I did check there first but searched the wrong section.)
    It's a pity that people who haven't any idea what they are talking about don't just keep quiet instead of making idiotic posts such as the one to which you refer. Deletion is the least fate you could bestow.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Attached is the crosstable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Max Fuller was not having a good comp, not even encountering the top players
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    This actualy showed up in one of Alex Davies' old magazines which I picked up yesterday, but Bill had already found and posted it. I wish Trevor the best of luck with the application.

PS: antichrist, were you one of the assitant arbiters to Manuel Weeks for that tournament?
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

I see that Trevor Tao got third equal when rated below 2000. That was a terrific performance!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    I see that Trevor Tao got third equal when rated below 2000. That was a terrific performance!
    He had a terrific run against the top players, defeating a few, but not so spectacular against the 2nd rowers. Such potential.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    A quote from the write up by Robert Jamieson in the Feb/March 1994 Australian Chess Magazine Article:

Trevor had wanted to play in the Resserves tournament as his rating was only 1951, but he was persuaded to enter the Championship and promptly zoomed to 4/4, beating Solomon and Whol along the way. He was halted by Wallace and Gluzman, but fought back to register an IM norm following a 120 move draw in the final round against Naum Kagan....
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

A shame FG did not have the same modesty and there would not have been any controversy

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    A quote from the write up by Robert Jamieson in the Feb/March 1994 Australian Chess Magazine Article:
    Yes, I think that over time the ACF selectors have done a good job of identifying which players should play in the Championship and which should play in the Reserves. It's strange to see the posts on this thread about "lost cross tables".

I did this cross table and it was published in the tournament bulletin and the national magazine, and I probably have several copies in my spare room. Perhaps people are just not looking in the right places...

Cheers,
    Jammo

Quote Originally Posted by jammo
    It's strange to see the posts on this thread about "lost cross tables".
    Which posts were those (apart from the stupid one by antichrist which I deleted)?

I only started the thread because my own stocks of the "national magazine" of the time don't go back quite far enough, and while I had no reason to believe the records would be "lost", it was faster to start a thread here - especially as the State Library catalogue here didn't list Chess In Australia when I tried searching for it.

Thread Information