Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AR
    Remember that Filipino, Eddie I think, the Burwood Park chess regular who advances many of his pawns to third rank. I met a player from Germany the other day (rating 1850 who I beat!!!!!) and he told me that that opening has a name, something like Mary Louise ......... Eddie went very well in an Aussie Championship when using that opening.

Anyone what is the full name of the opening?????

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    AR
    Remember that Filipino, Eddie I think, the Burwood Park chess regular who advances many of his pawns to third rank. I met a player from Germany the other day (rating 1850 who I beat!!!!!) and he told me that that opening has a name, something like Mary Louise ......... Eddie went very well in an Aussie Championship when using that opening.
    Are you referring to Eddie Alcantara.

Correct. The system (1. a4 or 1. h4 / and 1...a5 or 1...h5) are referred to as the Alcantara Attack.

AR

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    AR has the "and"s and "or"s the wrong way round there. The Alcantara has (a4 and h4) or (...a5 and ...h5). The idea is to make it difficult for the opponent to castle on either side of the board, and hope that this is worth the 1 or 2 pawns surrendered in the process.

I have a 1985 game in which Eddie, playing Black, beat a player rated 2135 with it; however the name of the victim is not mentioned. Will post this on request.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    AR has the "and"s and "or"s the wrong way round there. The Alcantara has (a4 and h4) or (...a5 and ...h5). The idea is to make it difficult for the opponent to castle on either side of the board, and hope that this is worth the 1 or 2 pawns surrendered in the process.

I have a 1985 game in which Eddie, playing Black, beat a player rated 2135 with it; however the name of the victim is not mentioned. Will post this on request.
    KB: Sorry but for some reason I did not follow this thread up at the time, when I think of it would have been SEC time. Can you post that game please. I know him well. Maybe that championship's games are all written up somewhere.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Enjoy.

To add insult to injury, White missed 6.Bxf7+ which wins.

Anon {2135} - Alcantara,E {1876} City of Sydney '85 [B00]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 02-04-2009 at 10:38 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Fisher's opening?

Does this mean that Eddie Alcantara has an opening named after him and Bobby Fisher does not?

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Does this mean that Eddie Alcantara has an opening named after him and Bobby Fisher does not?
    There is a line in the King Gambit Accepted named after Bobby Fischer.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

You really should take up another interest. There is a bridge section on this BB.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    ...and just a few more,

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    You really should take up another interest. There is a bridge section on this BB.

AR
    You seem to respond to the full moon phases - have your neighbours been complaining about strange wolfing noises at midnight.
    Last edited by antichrist; 01-10-2004 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    But is an original opening attributed to Alcantara whereas only lines on existing openings attributed to BF?

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    But is an original opening attributed to Alcantara whereas only lines on existing openings attributed to BF?
    What is called a line and what is called an open is only conventional. The Najdorf, for example, has a huge body of theory behind it but in your mind is nothing more than a line in the Sicilian. Whereas something like the Nimzo-Larsen Attack is an opening in its own right and so, to you, more impressive? Please!
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

in error

You seem to respond to the full moon phases - have your neighbours been complaining about strange wolfing noises at midnight.
    There you go again mate. Your shrink ought to really increase your dose. Even better: lock you up.

AR

Thread Information