Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    The organisers are discussing this matter now and will be for a couple of days most likely.

Garvin Gray
    Mt Buller Chess Tournaments Organiser
    Does this mean there is a possibility that we will be listened to?

Quote Originally Posted by noidea
    e-mail George.

Quote Originally Posted by noidea
    that is this possibility

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    e-mail George.
    Jenni starts to sound like Garvin

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Jenni starts to sound like Garvin
    This had occurred to me - however it is all a numbers game, so there comes a time when "e-mail George" becomes a sensible suggestion.

CC Rookie
    Will George appreciate being e-mailed? Doesn't he read this thread? Can't he work it out for himself? Sorry, so many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by bishop e3
    Will George appreciate being e-mailed?
    yes, George would prefer to be emailed than answer questions on here.

Doesn't he read this thread?
    no

CC Rookie
    Short, but to the point. I like that in a man.

Quote Originally Posted by bishop e3
    Will George appreciate being e-mailed? Doesn't he read this thread? Can't he work it out for himself? Sorry, so many questions.
    He can work it out for himself, but as Garvin says he doesn't read here much and more important pays no attention to it.

Currently Garvin and I are struggling with this issue - personal e-mails from parents/coaches who feel strongly would one hope have an effect.

Hi All,

I just posted on the announcement thread that the starting time for the older children in last round will be brought forward in line with the U12 with an afternoon presentation with details to be advised.

It seems there are more people wanting this change than might be inconvenienced by an earlier start for older children so we will make the change.

Regards
    George Howard

Hi Jenni,

Since things are getting more positive on the BB and the posts are now generally more constructive I will read these posts. Also Jenni I feel you need to be a full member of the Organising Committee since you are actively seeking a big input which is fine - welcome.

Regards to ALL
    George Howard

Quote Originally Posted by george
    Hi All,

I just posted on the announcement thread that the starting time for the older children in last round will be brought forward in line with the U12 with an afternoon presentation with details to be advised.

It seems there are more people wanting this change than might be inconvenienced by an earlier start for older children so we will make the change.

Regards
    George Howard
    Thank you George however I guess I express those thanks with a note of caution

It had been my intention to contact as many junior organisers/coaches etc as I could to raise this issue. Although the Bulletin Board may seem a hive of information and opinion it can also take on the role of "unrepresentative swill" (not meaning to insult anyone else as I quite accept I may be in that category myself).

I thought it was important that any decision - to stay as we are or to change - be consultative. You have raised on a number of occasions, your desire not to react to things just because a small number are complaining about something.

You may have received a lot of opinions from various state organisers, or just the handful I have been privy to (with copied emails and posts on the board). I'd hate to see a situation (much as I would like things to change for the final day) where any changes were greeted with howls of despair from others who aren't aware that it's even being mooted.

I have raised before the need for the Bulletin Board NOT to be the primary way to seek opinion. A handful of people are active on the board and many junior parents don't even know it exists (fortunate for them or us?) I would much prefer Mt Buller announcements appear on the website - to which people are referred by the brochure.

I also think it's important to be consultative with the change in light of the concerns I raised with 3 rounds then being played back-to-back by the U18s. Will this be factored into decisions? Many in that age group may feel strongly that things should remain as they are unless the schedule can incorporate further change.

I'm not claiming to have all the answers, or to even know if my idea makes any sense. I'm only urging that matters affecting junior events be discussed - not with every parent in the land - but with the main state organisers/coaches - of which, like it or lump it, I am one.

Libby

PS With regard to Jenni taking on a full role on the committee, I have no objection whatsoever and feel she has a tremendous amount of energy and experience to offer. However, it hadn't been my understanding she wanted such a role (?) although I'm not attempting to make that decision for her. Many of us are happy to be "helpers" and to contribute ideas and advice we feel may be constructive. Some of us could be viewed as an untapped resource rather than a negative influence - I guess that depends on your perspective.
    Last edited by Libby; 16-10-2004 at 01:41 PM.

Hi Libby,

Yes the change to the final round start seems sensible and we will look at the double rounds to see if by changing the days it can improve the tournament or improve the enjoyment of the tournament by the participants.

Any change to the double round day can be posted before the tournament starts or even after the Opening Ceremony when the house keeping announcements are made - the playing days are set as are most things but if we can make changes in the schedule within the given timeframe that benefits the players/tournament then we certainly will without reacting to some of the ideas that come onto this BB from left field.

Regards
    George Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Libby
    I have raised before the need for the Bulletin Board NOT to be the primary way to seek opinion. A handful of people are active on the board and many junior parents don't even know it exists (fortunate for them or us?) I would much prefer Mt Buller announcements appear on the website - to which people are referred by the brochure.
    once things are all settled regarding how we change things etc then new announcements will appear on the website. It is just a matter at the moment of how to implement changes

Quote Originally Posted by george
    Hi All,

Well done George.

Thread Information