Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Is ther anyone else out here who can help us make this a successful junior tournament? Any ideas or parents who will be there and can help us with organising or running activities? Just simply playing soccer or taking the younger siblings for a walk? Maybe even tag team with other parents to share the load of other siblings or supervising 10 year olds or those with cars [I will have one available] offering to "shop" or ferry kids back and forth? Dare I suggest it?...are there any older chess juniors who can act as "big brothers" and help us entertain the kids?

Hi ALL,

It really comes down to time and money and willing helpers. If the income for the tournaments is sufficient , money will be made available for broader activities.

A daily evening screening of a film for kids will be arranged in the downstairs part of Abom onto a large screen during the Junior provided we can get some parents to supervise - closer to the day we can see what is available in the closest DVD hire shop or children can bring their own. The youngsters will be finished most days before the older children start so a movie afternoon etc is out of the question because although ABOM is large it is also open on various levels with no ability to muffle sound. Therefore daytime activities apart from receiving coaching of course need to be planned by the persons responsible for the children.

Jenny and Libby are right , there are many things for all players to do when not playing - only the Recreational Chalet facilities will be for use only by Chalet guests.

Please be advised that at that time of year I have been reliably told the fishing in the streams is fantastic - Im not a fisher person so I dont know the sort of fishing they are speaking of.

Perhaps some parent could start another thread to get together the ideas and abilities available. It is difficult I understand when not many have been to the venue and especially not in summer but one thing please be aware. On any day it is between 8-10 degrees cooler at Mt Buller than the Melbourne temperature of the same day and I've been told the evenings can be cool.

If its sufficiently cool the area near where the DVD's has a very large open fire which can be set - it will certainly be operational at various stages during the Open - again with the youngsters I ask for adult supervision.

Regards TO ALL
    George Howard
    Last edited by george; 13-10-2004 at 02:45 AM.

Thank you George for a positive post on this issue.

It really comes down to time and money and willing helpers. If the income for the tournaments is sufficient , money will be made available for broader activities.
    I actually don't think there is a lot of money required. I never sought free use of the pool (to rehash a tired old story), just the normal paid, public access. In the same way, I don't think we are necessarily looking for "freebies" from the organisers for activities. From this thread, I think we have indicated a desire to be "willing helpers" but this isn't the only, or most appropriate, way to recruit such helpers. I am sourcing what info I can (from LaTrobe in particular) about what some possible activities might be. I had then planned to circulate that to all the state junior coordinators, coaches etc who are, or might be, going to Mt Buller. In other words - I had planned to be as inclusive as possible. If people are not interested in being involved, that's no problem.

Given some U12s may finish playing by 10.30 or 11 in the morning, I think it's more than reasonable - after the ACF inisisted we play at Mt Buller - that some consideration be given to what they are supposed to do for the rest of the day. It was my understanding that people wanted the experience to be positive for all participants so we might like to go there again

A daily evening screening of a film for kids will be arranged in the downstairs part of Abom onto a large screen during the Junior provided we can get some parents to supervise - closer to the day we can see what is available in the closest DVD hire shop or children can bring their own. The youngsters will be finished most days before the older children start so a movie afternoon etc is out of the question because although ABOM is large it is also open on various levels with no ability to muffle sound.
    But LaTrobe can convert their auditorium to a proper movie theatre. Pinnacle Valley (down the mountain) has an outdoor cinema. I know Jenni forwarded all this info (which I spent some hours gathering) to the committee already. This is an option I have asked for more info on now because we could run matinee screenings or request particular movies, provided we organise this in advance. Not saying that we will do this - but it's an idea. BTW - where is the nearest DVD hire shop?

only the Recreational Chalet facilities will be for use only by Chalet guests.
    Can I clarify exactly what these facilities are? Because we have had everything from basketball to tennis etc etc cited as unavailable unless you stay at the Chalet. I took this from the Mercure website -

Chalet Sports Centre

Indoor Heated Swimming Pool
    Spa
    Two Steam Rooms
    Fully Equipped Gymnasium
    Two Saunas
    Massage Therapist
    Two Squash Courts
    Racquet Ball
    Indoor Basketball

But then -

Nearby

Ski and Boardriding School
    Mountain Bikes
    In-Line Skates
    Indoor Tennis
    Indoor Rockclimbing
    Indoor Basketball and Netball
    Horseriding
    Abseiling
    Whitewater Rafting
    Hot Air Ballooning
    4WD Safaris
    Chairlift Rides
    Picnics

So there are sports facilities everyone will be able to use and if I wasn't nearly crippled by tendonitis in both knees I might even (or might still) get the Mums together for a netball comp - that would keep the kids amused!

I think it's pretty sensible to get together, as a group, to book some of these facilities. It will cost us money but what use are the basketball courts at the Mercure if only half your proposed team-mates are allowed to use them? At least we can include everyone on the other courts, let them know the times for which we have booked and kids can sign-up to share the use and the cost at that time?

The older kids might like someone to help them coordinate a booking for mountain biking, abseiling etc. These are just ideas. We'd actually like to stop whinging and find ways for people to have a good time whilst they are there.

Does anyone know if there are public BBQ facilities in Mt Buller. Somewhere where we could gather a couple of times for a informal get-together. Maybe even on arrival evening? (probably the Monday?)

Hi Libby,Jenni,Noideas.

The La Trobe facilities are available but from the indication I got they are not cheap I had conversation with La Trobe on a couple of occassions - they are proud of their huge auditorium indoor sporting facility which is the biggest in Victoria I think he said and charge accordingly. The large auduitorium they are talking about with climbing wall etc is all available for hire but the price was prohibitive.

The Chalet has a squash court and a second Squash court has been converted into a half basketball court.

The Chalet has the other facilities you mentioned although in the brief time we were there I was more interested in discussions and checking ABOM.

What will the young children not staying at Chalet do if they finish early? I know some of the coaches are interested in having a lack of things to do so that the children concentrate on chess ( a strange concept from my point of view but maybe the spartan idea may work).

The outdoors really will be stunning and my suggestion is to organise lots of activities around the outdoors. The ski slopes will have no skiers or snow so large open spaces abound but I dont know what vegetation covering the ground has or will have.

Apparantly in the last ten years it has snowed once in early December and once in early January - that would be fun but is literally in the lap of the gods.

I will be there from mid/late November so I can post lots more information to give you an opportunity to plan - I dont know when La Trobe close down or what is involved in Opening the facilities but if you wish when I make my early post from Buller you can get in touch on 0414841575 and/or email me and I can get the information you seek. One of the reasons I want to be there from about mid November is to lock down many of these creature comfort needs and really you have to be there to see for yourself and to communicate directly with La Trobe folks and Mansfield people re printing buses etc as well as co-ordinating all the Chess Things.

I have been there for an afternoon and a full day and found the possibilities very exciting for chess and activities.

Regards
    George Howard
    Last edited by george; 13-10-2004 at 10:01 AM.

What will the young children not staying at Chalet do if they finish early? I know some of the coaches are interested in having a lack of things to do so that the children concentrate on chess ( a strange concept from my point of view but maybe the spartan idea may work).
    Fabulous! I must get the names of anyone who thinks 80+ Under 12s will be able to focus entirely on chess study from midday until bedtime for 11 days straight. We certainly need coaches able to motivate players like that in Canberra! We seem to have many who feel even the best & most dedicated need some down-time And accompanying siblings - not playing chess - must find that a good idea.

The La Trobe facilities are available but from the indication I got they are not cheap I had conversation with La Trobe on a couple of occassions - they are proud of their huge auditorium indoor sporting facility which is the biggest in Victoria I think he said and charge accordingly. The large auduitorium they are talking about with climbing wall etc is all available for hire but the price was prohibitive.
    Well - not exactly. The info I sent to the committee, via Jenni, incorporated everything from the charges for using the climbing wall to requesting a private movie screening. Their normal movie screenings offer group discounts, all leading to it being a bit cheaper if you coordinate and book as a group. The climbing wall can be booked on an hourly basis and is no more expensive than doing that activity anywhere else (i know, Kayleigh is a bit of an enthusiast!)

I imagine it is prohibitive to book the full auditorium/sports facility for a full day/week or a major function. In that case you would need to consider the cost-effective nature of your activity or a level of cash input from organisers. But how prohibitive can it be to hire a tennis court or make casual use of their gym (yes, they have their own gym, not just the Mercure gym)? The rates didn't look too prohibitive on their website for this sort of use. I think your post was a bit pessimistic.

LaTrobe seem to coordinate most of the bushwalking and biking activities and I found info on the Mt Buller site about a special children's night walk where you spotlight the animals etc. You need to book that as a group so that's another idea. I was only looking to post some "sign-up" boards for various suggestions and if we get the numbers to make it viable, we go ahead. This isn't too technical but it requires a little bit of coordination - especially to have kids mixing with children staying in their own various "state" groups.

This really isn't intended as some kind of grand plan exercise. I will be in Mt Buller for the schools event in December so it was certainly on my agenda to scout the territory then. There is a zoo in the Mansfield area which might make for a good afternoon trip for some of the u12s and little ones. This isn't rocket science but if we act in a coordinated, inclusive way, we help everyone have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby
    This isn't rocket science but if we act in a coordinated, inclusive way, we help everyone have a good time.
    For many years the Aus Juniors has been a bit of a muddled event. We have kids there who are going for titles and they (and their coaches) proabbly take it terribly seriously. For most of the kids it is more of a chess festival. They want to go, mix with their mates, make new friends in other states. Their chess improves, but the peripheral atmosphere is what makes it a success.

It is this latter group and their siblings who we need to arrange things for. The older kids are probably going to be studying (or sleeeping), in the mornings and playing in the afternoons. The younger ones are going to need some activities - they don't have to be high cost - even a "meet at the xyz field" for a game of soccer is probably enough.

A lot of us are going to be in Mt Buller in December, so we can check out the summer facilities and come up with some ideas. Also the idea of an ice-breaker sausage sizzle early on is good. All we need to do is put up a notice in the playing hall every few days - you know " roller skating on the 13th at 2pm - cost x put your name down by 1pm tomorrow. "

It doesn't need to involve any cost to the organisers and a group of parents can easily do it.

I have just received the very flashy booklet including entry forms for the Aus. junior. Has anyone else seen it? No information about accommodation...some ridiculous times for games, and wait for it...The presentation for the under 12's is at 8 pm, followed by a barbeque and party. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most parents of juniors under 12 will, after 12 days on the mountain just want yo go home. Also, correct me if I'm wrong again, but most kids under 12 need to eat before 8, and this is the time of the presentation. So the food will be served at , what, 9 pm? I don't think you will have any younger juniors staying for the presentation. What is the motivation for this? To make us all stay another night? And don't tell me that we have to wait for the under 18's...if they can start together on day 1 and 2 why can't they do the same on the last day. I continue to think that this is not about "your tournament" as they say in the pamphlet, but about how long we can keep you there. I really don't think they have thought about the neeeds of the younger juniors at all. But if I am wrong...please explain.

CC Candidate Master

Angry Young non - chess playing siblings - not enough to do

Thank you for all the above information. Despite this, I am still extremely concerned what I am going to do with my young non - chess playing son for 10 days; it is supposed to be his holiday too. If it is wet or extremely hot, outdoor activities will be difficult. Is there any way non - Mecure people can pay to use the pool?

On another note, I have been told that the awards ceremony is going to be at 8.00 pm at night. Surely this is an error!

Quote Originally Posted by klyall
    Thank you for all the above information. Despite this, I am still extremely concerned what I am going to do with my young non - chess playing son for 10 days; it is supposed to be his holiday too. If it is wet or extremely hot, outdoor activities will be difficult. Is there any way non - Mecure people can pay to use the pool?

On another note, I have been told that the awards ceremony is going to be at 8.00 pm at night. Surely this is an error!
    Wish it was klyall, wish it was...but why do you think it is worked this way...why do you think they would be so inconsiderate of the health and well being of the younger juniors...I certainly cannot come up with a reasonable reason, can you?

Quote Originally Posted by klyall

Unfortunately not. Libby and I have already been through this loop to no avail...... for both things pool and presentation ceremony. We are not winning any polpularity polls at the moment with the organisers.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Unfortunately not. Libby and I have already been through this loop to no avail...... for both things pool and presentation ceremony. We are not winning any polpularity polls at the moment with the organisers.
    What is their justification for the presentation being at 8pm especially for the Under 12's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    What is their justification for the presentation being at 8pm especially for the Under 12's.
    a familiar response from Garvin- ask George at georgeshoward@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    a familiar response from Garvin- ask George at georgeshoward@hotmail.com
    I was asking jenni.
    I wasnt expecting an answer from you.
    Of course I know I can always ring george but I figure he is busy enough as it is.
    Thats why he has others assisting him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I was asking jenni.
    I wasnt expecting an answer from you.
    i know, just anticipating where these questions are going and taking a step to try and short cut the process

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    i know, just anticipating where these questions are going and taking a step to try and short cut the process
    Sorry but I dont see it that way.
    You may as well not answer at all if you are just going to say... ask george, especially to the likes of me.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 15-10-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Thread Information