• Anish Giri

0 0%
  • David Navara

0 0%
  • Loek Van Wely

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2012

The annual super tournement at Wijk aan Zee starts in just under a week. A 13 round single round-robin amongst the 14 perticipants. All the info is here: http://www.tatasteelchess.com/

Grandmaster Group A has 7 of the worlds top 10 participating and an average rating of 2755.

So who will win?

World No. 1 Magnus Carlsen finished last year well winning the London Chess Classic - but that was 3-1-0 scoring;
    Now having a secure grip on the world No. 2 spot Levon Aronian will want to press his claims;
    Good to Veselin Topolov playing in this company - what fireworks can he produce;
    Vasily Ivanchuk finished with a win at Reggio Emilia, over Hikura Nakamura;
    Nakamura himself is the defending champion in this tournament;
    Boris Gelfand, the challenger for the World Championship - Vishy Anand is skipping this tournament so who's preparation will be better?
    Fabiano Caruana and Anish Giri, the worlds top two ranked junior players - what can Giri produce in his "home" tournament?
    Last edited by Bollard; 09-01-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    When everything is said and done, and nothings left to do, I'd like to be the final one to say "What else is new?"

CC International Master
    I voted for Levon Aronian. The Armenian sportman has links to Australia so I have to go for the honouray Australian. GO LEV

lost

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lost
    I voted for Levon Aronian. The Armenian sportman has links to Australia so I have to go for the honouray Australian. GO LEV
    Tom Cruise was once described as Australia's favourite son-in-law, and look how that turned out!
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Any problem with me changing the poll to close after a few days of the event? Play starts on the 14th, we would normally close the poll about the 16th or 17th so so that people can base their votes on a round or two but no more.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Any problem with me changing the poll to close after a few days of the event? Play starts on the 14th, we would normally close the poll about the 16th or 17th so so that people can base their votes on a round or two but no more.
    Saw this too late but I have voted for Karjakin to bounce back. He is overdue for another top-notch performance. But maybe after 2 rounds he will be on 0.5. Ah well, but Magnus can't win everything!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Go Magnus!!
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "My favourite piece is the one that wins" - Bobby Fischer

I'm ok with that. When I was first setting it up I thought one week was too short as it captured the first round. I thought of ten days, but in the end just went with the even two weeks. It still seemed that it would be less than half-way through the tournment, but happy to go with an accepted standard.
    When everything is said and done, and nothings left to do, I'd like to be the final one to say "What else is new?"

I just clicked on the view poll results and I go this:

Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

That's because I was in the act of resetting as you did so!

Poll reset now as public poll.

If you've already voted, please vote again.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

That's because I was in the act of resetting as you did so!

Poll reset now as public poll.

If you've already voted, please vote again.
    OK thanks, I haven't voted yet, I only wanted to see the market trends and movements before I got involved.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

I probably should have waited until at least seeing the draw.

14 player single round robin I guess means some will have 7 white and 6 blacks which must be a slight advantage in this tourney.

I put the mockers on Topalov because he hasn't won a thing in ages and must be in danger of forgetting he exists if he doesn't win something again soon.

I've voted for Carlsen to win, but the player I most want to see do well is Anish Giri.

Karjakin's looking pretty good at the moment. Nobody has voted for him to win!

Account Banned Sir Cromulent Sparkles's Avatar
    Karjakin's looking pretty good at the moment. Nobody has voted for him to win!
    grand theft auto .........................

Thread Information