CC International Master

Bagh Chal (aka "Tigers and Goats")

Does anyone reading this know of a game called Bagh Chal (Tigers and Goats in English)? It is the national game of Nepal.

I played it when I was in Nepal and Ive been playing it a fair bit lately with a friend on a board I drew up myself...

It is a complicated strategy game but I can see that being a chess player I have a distinct advantage over non chessplayers...

Three questions:

1. Where can I buy a proper set??? Do I have to go back to Nepal to get one???

2. Can anyone find a site where I can play this game online?

3. Can anyone find anything about the strategy or "openings" of the game?

Ive worked out some of the basic strategy I think - but Id like to see if Ive got it right or if Ive got it all wrong... Id really like to test myself against good players who have played the game for years - if anyone is in this boat, please contact me asap!
    People with nothing to hide post using their real names...

CC International Master
    Here is a link to the game for anyone interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagh-Chal

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Fascinating game, thanks for posting about it, not sure I have heard of it before. The PDF paper linked at the bottom of the Wikipedia article is interesting. There seems to be some difference between it and the Wikipedia page because the PDF allows for draws by repetition while the Wikipedia article suggests they are banned (could be difficult checking!)

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Szuveges
    1. Where can I buy a proper set??? Do I have to go back to Nepal to get one???
    Seems Pressman Toy Publishing produced a version but it doesn't seem to be in production or available at the moment. However you might find one of these second hand somewhere. If you want a nice metal one you probably need to go back to Nepal or wait for one to come up on eBay somewhere.

These asymmetrical games remind me of the various fox games (Foxes and Geese/Hounds/Sheep) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_games . Different board and objective to the Nepalese game but the attacker and defender aspect is reminiscent.
    We may define “faith” as a firm belief in something for which there is no evidence. Where there is evidence, no one speaks of “faith.” We do not speak of faith that two and two are four or that the earth is round. We only speak of faith when we wish to substitute emotion for evidence. - Bertrand Russell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Generals

I have played this game a bit decades ago
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Generals

I have played this game a bit decades ago
    Thats great, but what has it got to do with tigers and goats?

CC International Master
    My brother was given a very nice set. I am on holiday at the moment, but I could get the brand of ours and post it here.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    My brother was given a very nice set. I am on holiday at the moment, but I could get the brand of ours and post it here.
    What brand is it? Where are you?

CC International Master
    I am in Brisbane until February but my brother is back in Tas. in a few days, so I can ask him to get the details of it pretty soon.

CC International Master

CC International Master
    Thanks for this.

I like the idea of fair trade products, but $89???????? for a boardgame????? I seriously wonder how much of that would go back to the Nepalese villager who made the thing - he could run the whole village if he sold a few of those sets at that price!

Id happily pay $20-$30 for a set though...

CC International Master
    My brother's set was made in Nepal. Kmart sells plastic farm and jungle animals, the board is simple, I reckon you could knock up a make shift set for around $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Szuveges
    Thanks for this.

I like the idea of fair trade products, but $89???????? for a boardgame????? I seriously wonder how much of that would go back to the Nepalese villager who made the thing - he could run the whole village if he sold a few of those sets at that price!

Id happily pay $20-$30 for a set though...
    I'm not familiar with the site so can only take what is written there at face value. However this might be of interest to you:

http://www.gamesfromeverywhere.com.a...ent/4-about-us

So, What is Fair Trade?
    In the context of the Fair Trade Movement around the world, Fair Trade is international trade in which producers are paid a fair price. The movement advocates the payment of a higher price to producers as well as social and environmental standards.
    Fair Trade means that those who work - particularly in developing countries - are paid properly for their labour. Fair trade's strategic intent is to work with marginalised producers and workers in order to help them move towards economic self-sufficiency and stability. It also aims to allow them to become greater stakeholders in their own organisations, as well as play a wider role in international trade.
    Fair Trade proponents include a number of international development aid, social, religious and environmental organisations such as Christian Aid, SERRV International, Oxfam, Amnesty International, Catholic Relief Services, and Caritas International.
    Whenever we are dealing with hand made games, we seek out Fair Trade producers - those who are being paid fairly for their work. Fair Trade promotes ethical international trade, it rejects sweat shop labour and encourages you, the customer, to do your bit and use your buying power to strenthen producers who truly do look after their workers in developing countries.
    meep meep

Thread Information