PGN Viewer

i resign.

thanks for the game again kb.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Thanks. Final position's perhaps not as bad as you thought because after 31...Red8 I do not win the second pawn (at least not easily - 32.Rxa2 Rxa2 33.Rxa2 Qd1+ and you get d3 and the rook ending may be survivable, I'm not sure.) I don't have to take right away though, maybe I can find something else, I'm not sure.

Thought I was just about winning after Rxb7 but had no plan as such and you were starting to outplay me despite my "better" position. Think I made the wrong capture on 23, forgot I wasn't attacking anything there and lost time. 25...Qc2 looks about level to me, and white has to be careful.

I thought Tappy ""lost"" it when putting his knight where its capture led to doubling pawns, weakening himself and strengthing your middle pawns.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 10-12-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: remove off-topic trolling of other poster
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    I thought Tappy ""lost"" it when putting his knight where its capture led to doubling pawns, weakening himself and strengthing your middle pawns.
    Actually his doubled pawns arose because I played e5 and he was forced to take it. I could have taken his knight on e5 much earlier but I did not because it is well known that in such positions the white backward d-pawn is extremely weak with black's half-open file against it very strong, and this compensates for the black doubled e-pawn. For this reason ...Ne5 is a respectable "book" move.

In the end we got the same sort of position via a totally different route and I only went into it because I thought the active placement of my pieces gave me good chances.

thank you
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

too many mistakes on my behalf.

...qd7 instead of ...qc7

the "a" pawn getting pushed instead of repositioning the queen etc.

a few things to work on at least.

maybe i could have kept going but the c pawn looks like too much to defend.
    Last edited by Redmond Barry; 10-12-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    Consecutive and slow -

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Thanks. Final position's perhaps not as bad as you thought because after 31...Red8 I do not win the second pawn (at least not easily - 32.Rxa2 Rxa2 33.Rxa2 Qd1+ and you get d3 and the rook ending may be survivable, I'm not sure.) I don't have to take right away though, maybe I can find something else, I'm not sure.

Thought I was just about winning after Rxb7 but had no plan as such and you were starting to outplay me despite my "better" position. Think I made the wrong capture on 23, forgot I wasn't attacking anything there and lost time. 25...Qc2 looks about level to me, and white has to be careful.
    i wasnt fairing too badly until 25...a4.

i should have played 25... Qc2/Qd2.
    Last edited by Redmond Barry; 10-12-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    Consecutive and slow -

hey k.b. what was 17. h3 in aid of ?

i could never work out why that was played.
    Consecutive and slow -

It was basically a nothingy prophylaxis move because I couldn't find any coherent plan and thought my advantage (which I was rabidly overestimating) wasn't going away, so I decided I'd just do that so I never had to worry about being back-rank mated (as you saw in the previous game sometimes I forget about back-rank issues and get in trouble for it!) A part of my thinking there was I knew your queen was going to a5 sooner or later and I wasn't sure I would want to leave a rook on my back rank, depending on how things turned out.

By the way 30...Qa5 seems to offer good drawing chances; if I swap queens the rook ending doesn't offer me a lot.

It was basically a nothingy prophylaxis move because I couldn't find any coherent plan and thought my advantage (which I was rabidly overestimating) wasn't going away, so I decided I'd just do that so I never had to worry about being back-rank mated (as you saw in the previous game sometimes I forget about back-rank issues and get in trouble for it!) A part of my thinking there was I knew your queen was going to a5 sooner or later and I wasn't sure I would want to leave a rook on my back rank, depending on how things turned out.

By the way 30...Qa5 seems to offer good drawing chances; if I swap queens the rook ending doesn't offer me a lot.
    30...Qa5 looks interesting but it wasnt even a consideration for me as all i wanted to do was keep the queen on the board.

i might go back and gloss over the rook ending section in dvoretskys endgame manual to see which rook endings are salvageable and which ones are simply hopeless.

cheers.
    Consecutive and slow -

k.b. - Most sequels suck.

you might have been correct after all.

i blame sylvester stallone for this loss !!
    Consecutive and slow -

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Thanks. Final position's perhaps not as bad as you thought because after 31...Red8 I do not win the second pawn (at least not easily - 32.Rxa2 Rxa2 33.Rxa2 Qd1+ and you get d3 and the rook ending may be survivable, I'm not sure.)
    I doubt that, because after taking and exchanging on d3, White plays 36. Rc2 behind the passed P.

I don't have to take right away though, maybe I can find something else, I'm not sure.
    Probably just 32. d4 then pushing them both.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    I doubt that, because after taking and exchanging on d3, White plays 36. Rc2 behind the passed P.
    Yes, it looks like that should be a win but I'm not absolutely certain that it is. Certainly it's very hard for black to defend.

Thread Information