Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 79
  1. #61
    CC Grandmaster Redmond Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,118
    30.Ra1 Rfe8

    PGN Viewer
     
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

  2. #62
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,739
    31.Rb2

    PGN Viewer
     

  3. #63
    CC Grandmaster Redmond Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    31.Rb2

    PGN Viewer
     
    i resign.

    thanks for the game again kb.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

  4. #64
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,739
    Thanks. Final position's perhaps not as bad as you thought because after 31...Red8 I do not win the second pawn (at least not easily - 32.Rxa2 Rxa2 33.Rxa2 Qd1+ and you get d3 and the rook ending may be survivable, I'm not sure.) I don't have to take right away though, maybe I can find something else, I'm not sure.

    Thought I was just about winning after Rxb7 but had no plan as such and you were starting to outplay me despite my "better" position. Think I made the wrong capture on 23, forgot I wasn't attacking anything there and lost time. 25...Qc2 looks about level to me, and white has to be careful.

  5. #65
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,250
    I thought Tappy ""lost"" it when putting his knight where its capture led to doubling pawns, weakening himself and strengthing your middle pawns.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 10-12-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: remove off-topic trolling of other poster
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  6. #66
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,739
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    I thought Tappy ""lost"" it when putting his knight where its capture led to doubling pawns, weakening himself and strengthing your middle pawns.
    Actually his doubled pawns arose because I played e5 and he was forced to take it. I could have taken his knight on e5 much earlier but I did not because it is well known that in such positions the white backward d-pawn is extremely weak with black's half-open file against it very strong, and this compensates for the black doubled e-pawn. For this reason ...Ne5 is a respectable "book" move.

    In the end we got the same sort of position via a totally different route and I only went into it because I thought the active placement of my pieces gave me good chances.

  7. #67
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,250
    thank you
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  8. #68
    CC Grandmaster Redmond Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,118
    too many mistakes on my behalf.

    ...qd7 instead of ...qc7

    the "a" pawn getting pushed instead of repositioning the queen etc.

    a few things to work on at least.

    maybe i could have kept going but the c pawn looks like too much to defend.
    Last edited by Redmond Barry; 10-12-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

  9. #69
    CC Grandmaster Redmond Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Thanks. Final position's perhaps not as bad as you thought because after 31...Red8 I do not win the second pawn (at least not easily - 32.Rxa2 Rxa2 33.Rxa2 Qd1+ and you get d3 and the rook ending may be survivable, I'm not sure.) I don't have to take right away though, maybe I can find something else, I'm not sure.

    Thought I was just about winning after Rxb7 but had no plan as such and you were starting to outplay me despite my "better" position. Think I made the wrong capture on 23, forgot I wasn't attacking anything there and lost time. 25...Qc2 looks about level to me, and white has to be careful.
    i wasnt fairing too badly until 25...a4.

    i should have played 25... Qc2/Qd2.
    Last edited by Redmond Barry; 10-12-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

  10. #70
    CC Grandmaster Redmond Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,118
    hey k.b. what was 17. h3 in aid of ?

    i could never work out why that was played.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

  11. #71
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,739
    It was basically a nothingy prophylaxis move because I couldn't find any coherent plan and thought my advantage (which I was rabidly overestimating) wasn't going away, so I decided I'd just do that so I never had to worry about being back-rank mated (as you saw in the previous game sometimes I forget about back-rank issues and get in trouble for it!) A part of my thinking there was I knew your queen was going to a5 sooner or later and I wasn't sure I would want to leave a rook on my back rank, depending on how things turned out.

    By the way 30...Qa5 seems to offer good drawing chances; if I swap queens the rook ending doesn't offer me a lot.

  12. #72
    CC Grandmaster Redmond Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    It was basically a nothingy prophylaxis move because I couldn't find any coherent plan and thought my advantage (which I was rabidly overestimating) wasn't going away, so I decided I'd just do that so I never had to worry about being back-rank mated (as you saw in the previous game sometimes I forget about back-rank issues and get in trouble for it!) A part of my thinking there was I knew your queen was going to a5 sooner or later and I wasn't sure I would want to leave a rook on my back rank, depending on how things turned out.

    By the way 30...Qa5 seems to offer good drawing chances; if I swap queens the rook ending doesn't offer me a lot.
    30...Qa5 looks interesting but it wasnt even a consideration for me as all i wanted to do was keep the queen on the board.

    i might go back and gloss over the rook ending section in dvoretskys endgame manual to see which rook endings are salvageable and which ones are simply hopeless.

    cheers.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

  13. #73
    CC Grandmaster Redmond Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,118
    k.b. - Most sequels suck.

    you might have been correct after all.

    i blame sylvester stallone for this loss !!
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

  14. #74
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Thanks. Final position's perhaps not as bad as you thought because after 31...Red8 I do not win the second pawn (at least not easily - 32.Rxa2 Rxa2 33.Rxa2 Qd1+ and you get d3 and the rook ending may be survivable, I'm not sure.)
    I doubt that, because after taking and exchanging on d3, White plays 36. Rc2 behind the passed P.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I don't have to take right away though, maybe I can find something else, I'm not sure.
    Probably just 32. d4 then pushing them both.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  15. #75
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    I doubt that, because after taking and exchanging on d3, White plays 36. Rc2 behind the passed P.
    Yes, it looks like that should be a win but I'm not absolutely certain that it is. Certainly it's very hard for black to defend.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. corro by tappy [vs KB] [0-1]
    By Redmond Barry in forum Correspondence Matches
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM
  2. Collective noun for lefties?
    By Basil in forum Politics
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 26-11-2011, 11:49 PM
  3. What is your favourite fruit juice?
    By Oepty in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-06-2011, 07:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •