Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Yes, it looks like that should be a win but I'm not absolutely certain that it is. Certainly it's very hard for black to defend.
    It would be an exception if the defender could hold against a R behind the passed P. You would know the famous deciding game in the Alekhine v Capablanca match with an outside RP, and Botvinnik v Boleslavsky with a NP. Even a passed P that's not as "outside" as these seems to be enough. Some sample lines:

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 13-12-2011 at 02:07 AM.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

A couple of comments. 12...Qd7?! 13.e5! I think was strong for white, although blacks bishop is freed a bit, the double e-pawns, b-file opening and the free white c4-pawn are disadvantages. I think 12...b6!? would be the natural move to stop whites expansion, and would give a fairly balanced position. In a true Maroczy white can get pressure in d-file against d6, while with d3 instead of b3 the same pressure against pawn b6 is not convincing. Black is threatening directly 13...d5 and has Nf6-d7-c5 or Ne5 as plans. If white pushes d4, the c4-pawn might get weak.

Thanks to Jono for the examples of the rook endgame, looks convincing to me. I think I would prefer 32.d4 although of course black has more dynamic play here, keeping the queen and the two rooks on the board. I thought a bit on the more forcing 34...Rxd3 but after 35.Ra8+ Kh7 36.Qe5 threatening Qf5+ black is not coordinating very well.

The rook endgame practically needs to be calculated, and it is noteworthy that if the black king on h8 would have been on g8, then after 32.Rc2 Kf8! whites plan of 33.c5 Ke7 34.c6 Kd8 is certainly not very convincing since white is in danger of dropping the c-pawn without getting a winning pawn endgame on the other flank.
    Chess well played is imagination, calculation, observation, experience and memorization in order of importance.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I've found this game with 11... (not 12...) b6 won by black:

Tseitlin,Mikhail S (2505) - Tseshkovsky,Vitaly (2550) [B52]
    URS Spartakiad Moscow, 1979

PGN Viewer

Some rather good-looking ideas on how to handle the position from black's persepctive there.

At the time I though 11...Nxf3 was just bad since the knight has spent two moves exchanging itself off the board, in the process developing my queen which is hardly bad for me. However if this is so then I did not play well enough to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesper Norgaard
    Thanks to Jono for the examples of the rook endgame, looks convincing to me. I think I would prefer 32.d4 although of course black has more dynamic play here, keeping the queen and the two rooks on the board. I thought a bit on the more forcing 34...Rxd3 but after 35.Ra8+ Kh7 36.Qe5 threatening Qf5+ black is not coordinating very well.

The rook endgame practically needs to be calculated, and it is noteworthy that if the black king on h8 would have been on g8, then after 32.Rc2 Kf8! whites plan of 33.c5 Ke7 34.c6 Kd8 is certainly not very convincing since white is in danger of dropping the c-pawn without getting a winning pawn endgame on the other flank.
    Thanks Jesper. Indeed, your last line shows the danger of a too-blind adherence to a rule, even such a fundamental one as "rooks behind passed pawns". Here, the fact that the extra P is not so outside makes a big difference because the K&P endgame is no longer a trivial win. Black's active R helps a lot too.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Thread Information