Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2000 by 20!

Congratulationson your Year 12 results and your organised plan of chess study lawrence. All good! And good luck to Alex too as he looks to some serious study of the 64 squares as well.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Good luck Lawrence! Are you up in VIC now?
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden
    Good luck Lawrence! Are you up in VIC now?
    Thanks, Tony. No, QLD, at the moment. I didn't do as well as I would have liked on the UMAT, so I'm doing biomedical sciences with the hopes of a transfer next year into medicine or biomed. in Melbourne. To make that more clear than it is, seeing as I made it about as muddy as one cane hope for two lines , I will be in Tas next year, and seeing as Marcus has a place in Melbourne and fares are cheaper than ever, I will be heading to Melbourne for tournaments more frequently.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    Thanks, Tony. No, QLD, at the moment. I didn't do as well as I would have liked on the UMAT, so I'm doing biomedical sciences with the hopes of a transfer next year into medicine or biomed. in Melbourne. To make that more clear than it is, seeing as I made it about as muddy as one cane hope for two lines , I will be in Tas next year, and seeing as Marcus has a place in Melbourne and fares are cheaper than ever, I will be heading to Melbourne for tournaments more frequently.
    OK, hope to see you around then. Will you be based in Lonnie?

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal

CC International Master
    Still a lonnie kid! Hopefully getting to the Hobart club often enough, depending how my uni timetable works out. Actually Marcus has been showing me all the tae kwan do and karate he's been learning, so I might get to beating a few of my braincells out come first semester.

Still a lonnie kid! Hopefully getting to the Hobart club often enough, depending how my uni timetable works out. Actually Marcus has been showing me all the tae kwan do and karate he's been learning, so I might get to beating a few of my braincells out come first semester.
    We should try to play every so often then. Glad you are playing again

I've just done it with a rating period to spare, its an amazing feeling . Good luck, I hope you achieve your goals.
    [Today 11:14 PM] Firegoat7: "Please be civil to young Lekkas, otherwise I am going to have to make Voodoo"
    [Today 11:16 PM] Firegoat7: furthermore u can add " I as got the dolls and I noes how ta use em"

I've been seriously considering reading chess for tigers and if you recommend it, I'll be sure to check it out.
    I just read the rest of this thread.

Are you at UQ ?

If you are and want to read a copy of this book I can bring it in, I work at UQ.

cheers Garrett.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lekko
    I've just done it with a rating period to spare, its an amazing feeling . Good luck, I hope you achieve your goals.
    Well done and thanks. I can't wait to get there and you've proven it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    I just read the rest of this thread.

Are you at UQ ?

If you are and want to read a copy of this book I can bring it in, I work at UQ.

cheers Garrett.
    That's very kind, I've noticed a more friendly demeanour in QLD, perhaps all the sunshine . I'm in Brisbane at the moment, but unfortunately not at UQ, thank you all the same though.

To everyone else following the thread. I'm annotating game 1 with intentions of posting it to J.Silman's column on chess.com. I will post that tonight but it's only 12 moves through. Game 3 is in its infancy, but still coming along. There is difficulty because in the game 6. Nxe5 is the kind of thing which should be punished but I can't see a too clear way. Perhaps after all I will consult fritz.

I switched the position of Starting out: The english and Understanding chess, move by move, as I feel master games will give me a more rounded idea of chess and that I have wasted far too long on openings with not enough to show.

Job hunting is going well, mostly I have just applied to menswear shops, but if worse comes to worst I'll bail to Coles or something similar. I also checked out GOMA today, and was super excited to see the 'drawn to screen' exhibition coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lekko
    Well done but it's much harder to do based in Tassie ...

CC International Master
    1. Nf3

1... d5

2. c4 c6

3.g3 Nf6

4. Bg2 Bf5
    As soon as I see the light squared bishop away from the QS I overly seek to attack the b7-pawn. I also look for Nh4 or Nd4 shots after a d3-pawn takes e4 away.

5. 0-0 e6

6. d3 h6

7. Qb3 Qb6
    7... Qc8 is worth consideration here.

8. Be3 Qxb3

9. axb3 a6

Ahoy, critical position!

White's imbalances, are his doubled b-pawns, the semi-open a-file and he is more developed. These first two factors combined suggest using the b-pawn ('weaknesses must be pushed' – Korchnoi) as a battering ram to maybe get some activity on the QS and rid ourselves of a weakness. The e3 bishop points to the QS and so do the pawns, plus black's dark squared QS weakness, on a5, b6 and c5, also make the b7, c6 and a6 pawns vunerable. So naturally it is also in our scopes to plonk a knight in on a4, a5 or b6. Black has a clean pawn-structure and a solid position, with the QS dark square weaknesses his only major problem.. His pieces are more co-ordinated for central play, noting white's e-pawn is blocked by his bishop, so, as per the 'when your opponent is to play on the wing, play in the centre' mantra, moves like c5 seem multi-purpose, closing down b4 and d4, limiting white's bishop's dark squared access and freeing c6 for the QS knight.

10. Nc3
    A good move, perhaps even the best, however it must be cohesive with a plan, which I did not follow through with. White has many other good options:

10. Bd2, working towards QS expansion while contesting the centre! The bishop's move unblocks the e-pawn and supports b4. It also eyes off the c3-square where it could hold back an e5-break from black. It's flexible and constructive in many ways. It also pairs well with a knight on c3 as e4 becomes a real threat, setting up a maroczy bind.

10. Nbd2, an optimistic try, which has some merit. The knight's course to b3-a5 targeting the weak b7 and c6-pawns, is worth consideration. Unfortunately, I think 10... c5 is too strong, as long as black makes sure to keep an eye on d5 and not release the hemmed in g2-bishop. This problem is simply a problem with pacing, not with concept, I believe. Which lead me to the next move:

10. Nd4, quick and dirty shot to get b4 in, which offers a surprising practical resource.

10. Nd4 Bh7 11. b4!? Bxb4 (11... e5 12. Nf3 {Following line is an example, nothing concrete.} 12... e4 13. dxe4 dxe4 (13... Nxe4 (13... Bxe4) 14. cxd5 cxd5 15. Rd1) 14. Nfd2 Bxb4 15. Nc3 {With too much pressure on the e4-pawn} 15... Bxc3 16. bxc3 {With black's QS pawns coming under fire. It's an interesting position.}) 12. Ra4!{With pressure for the pawn.})

Of course, but how wonderful would all these lines be if black never had a shot at Ng4? Brilliant I say. This idea of prophylaxis also supports a slightly more unorthodox plan of pushing the f-pawn up the board. I do note, if the pawn got to f5 it would shut out the bishop, which would rid white of some pressure on the h7-c1 diagonal, especially when there is a knight on c2 creating a pin on the d3 pawn. However, this seems a pipe dream, as cursory testing sees black get the upperhand. Never the less, I deem 10. h3 a valid idea, hoping for 10... Bd6 11. Nd4 Bh7 12. b4!? With an bonus tempo. Perhaps out prophylaxising (we'll just pretend it's a word) white's 10. h3 is 10... Bh7, getting clear of the Nd4 hit and inviting the silly f4 idea.

Anyway, there's probably limitless mistakes in my homebrew analysis. 10. Nc3 was played but incorrectly followed up. It should be supported by Bd2 and e4, which is, I believe the best plan, contesting the centre, building on the QS and targeting the a4 square.

10...Bd6
    Supporting e5 and perhaps keeping the bishop close to the QS incase the dark squares need tying together.

11. Nd4?!
    Perhaps not a bad move in itself, but it is certainly representative of poor planning. A knight on c2 helps to support b4 with a knight on d2 as c4 is protected by an unpinned piece. With a knight on c3 a knight on c2 will just be misplaced.

11... Bg6
    Staying flexible, as perhaps it might target the e2 pawn from h5. Although h7 seems obvious, I think my opponent was correct to choose this square when one considers the weakness on e2 created by the e3 bishop. A showcase that piece placement can also create square weaknesses not just pawns.

12. Nc2?
    I should mention around now that this was my first longer game in approx. 1 year, so I have my excuses for not being cohesive and plan-wise. A practical and interesting shot might be found in:
    12. c5!? Bxc5 13. Nxe6 Bxe3 14. Nc7+ {When we have a really weird moment. If 14... Kd7 the king occupies the knight's square and is vulnerable to Bh3+ and e4 opening up the centre. If Ke8 nothing is actually threatening to take the knight as the rook isn't attacking it. It all comes down to a race for the knight and it isn't very clear. That said I do like black's chances, just from a glance.

CC International Master
    Those notes are in regards to Game one, featured in post #2.

The way I am annotating this game is by first coming up with all the ideas I can just by my self. A lot has been cut from the inked copy due to human error. Then, I have begun this second phase up to move 12, I am checking out master games which occurred in this opening, specifically where the doubled b-pawn occurs and seeing if this provides further insight, then I will move to the dreaded silicon beast to tactically check everything. No doubt this will ruin all my previous work.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden
    Well done but it's much harder to do based in Tassie ...
    That's true. Maybe I'll have to sack points in vic and loose them on more promising tas juniors. New goal 2000 by 80

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    That's true. Maybe I'll have to sack points in vic and loose them on more promising tas juniors. New goal 2000 by 80
    Took me til 32 but I was a pretty mediocre junior, and by the time you account for ratings disparities I was probably crawling through the equivalent of the 1900s for about eight or nine years.

Thread Information