Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 by 20!

CC International Master

2000 by 20!

You read correctly! After a one year hiatus, I am reviving my chess-life (an antonymous with social life ) after dusting that all time consuming year-12. Due to university coming next, I'll have to be hard-working over this summer, but as I have managed to employ a school study routine over the last term, I should be able to stick to it. This thread will serve to document my progress. The thread will contain:

My current book: I can't remember where but it has been stated that a chess book takes a month to work with properly, so I'll be sticking to that, 12 books a year, 4 on the endgame, 4 on the opening, 4 on the middlegame. So starting tomorrow will be my Endgame book month, featuring: Practical Endgame Play - mastering the basics, by Efstratios Grivas. With 304 pages of content, that's approx. 9 pages a day.

All my tournament and training games: No exceptions here, every game will be analysed, as it is rocket-fuel, so I have read, for amateurs' improvement. To help me with this my brother has agreed to play training games with me regularly, one happening tonight, night owls the two of us, one already having occurred, as you will discern, I am pretty rusty.

My cover, guess and look games: which, I will be doing one of, every day! They will be done according to themes. For instance, I have purchased, Starting out: the english, and a modern exponent of the english is Hansen, so I will be doing cover and guesses of his games in the english. This will enable me to familiarise myself with the opening, before studying it.

Miscellany: this year I have been regularly writing, so I will probably put up my poetry and prose or else I'll get bored and this thread and my initiative will burn out quicker than my awesome thread in the CL. Any songs I like etc will all be put here for your enjoyment and entertainment, but mostly chess. I might also put some tactics up here, which seems to be the only thing I can routinely practice, CT-ART 3.0 all the way!

Okay, so feel free to jump on board and improve with me, Oldies can go 2000 by 2014 but all improvers are encouraged. Without further ado, here is my first long game in approximately a year.
    Last edited by Saragossa; 01-12-2011 at 06:30 PM.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

CC International Master
    [Event "Live Chess"]
    [Site "Chess.com"]
    [Date "2011.11.26"]
    [White "Private_Learoyd"]
    [Black "captain-learnchess"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteElo "1142"]
    [BlackElo "1651"]
    [TimeControl "25|5"]
    [Termination "captain-learnchess won by resignation"]

PGN Viewer
      0-1 Okay, this is still a work in progress, so anyone who comments, could they please be in white if analysis, as I will complete my commentary tomorrow. Thanks. The above game seems like one where I can learn a lot from the middlegame, so I'm going to delay full annotation, so I can work through it on a real board and give it the attention it deserves.
    Last edited by Saragossa; 01-12-2011 at 07:45 PM.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    You read correctly! After a one year hiatus, I am reviving my chess-life (an antonymous with social life ) after dusting that all time consuming year-12. Due to university coming next, I'll have to be hard-working over this summer, but as I have managed to employ a school study routine over the last term, I should be able to stick to it. This thread will serve to document my progress. The thread will contain:

My current book: I can't remember where but it has been stated that a chess book takes a month to work with properly, so I'll be sticking to that, 12 books a year, 4 on the endgame, 4 on the opening, 4 on the middlegame. So starting tomorrow will be my Endgame book month, featuring: Practical Endgame Play - mastering the basics, by Efstratios Grivas. With 304 pages of content, that's approx. 25 pages a day!

All my tournament and training games: No exceptions here, every game will be analysed, as it is rocket-fuel, so I have read, for amateurs' improvement. To help me with this my brother has agreed to play training games with me regularly, one happening tonight, night owls the two of us, one already having occurred, as you will discern, I am pretty rusty.

My cover, guess and look games: which, I will be doing one of, every day! They will be done according to themes. For instance, I have purchased, Starting out: the english, and a modern exponent of the english is Hansen, so I will be doing cover and guesses of his games in the english. This will enable me to familiarise myself with the opening, before studying it.

Miscellany: this year I have been regularly writing, so I will probably put up my poetry and prose or else I'll get bored and this thread and my initiative will burn out quicker than my awesome thread in the CL. Any songs I like etc will all be put here for your enjoyment and entertainment, but mostly chess. I might also put some tactics up here, which seems to be the only thing I can routinely practice, CT-ART 3.0 all the way!

Okay, so feel free to jump on board and improve with me, Oldies can go 2000 by 2014 but all improvers are encouraged. Without further ado, here is my first long game in approximately a year.
    Congratulations on completing Year 12, and good luck with your chess goals!
    Grandmaster, FIDE Trainer, 2018-19 Australian Champion

Do you love your chess as much as I do?

What is your chess dream?

Are you willing to do what it takes?

Everyone who is an expert at something now...learned from another expert.

Share your chess journey with me illingworthchess@gmail.com and Ill give you my 7-Page Basic Chess Training Plan, to direct your chess training and improvement.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Illingworth
    Congratulations on completing Year 12, and good luck with your chess goals!
    Thanks Max, I'm looking forward to university.

For all curious, here is my current book list:

Dec: Practical Endgame Play - mastering the basics
    Jan: Starting out : the English
    Feb: Understanding chess, move by move - Nunn
    Mar: Fundamental Chess Endings
    Apr: Starting out: the open games
    May: Reassess your chess + Reassess your chess work book
    June: Silman's endgame manual
    July: The Dynamic English
    [B]Aug: Simple chess + Chess strategy for club players
    Sep: Van Perlo's Endgame tactics
    Oct: Beating the Open Games
    Nov: Forcing chess moves

This is as far as I have got so if you have any suggestions for someone my level, or think one of these titles is inappropriate, feel free to recommend changes. One of my worries is that the endgame books will be too advanced, as I am truly shocking at endgames, so I want to concentrate on them mostly.
    Last edited by Saragossa; 01-12-2011 at 12:08 AM.

CC International Master
    I recommend 'Simple Chess' by Michael Stean. It's a fairly thin book so you might want to add a book like 'Chess Strategy for Club Players' by Herman Grooten or 'Forcing Chess Moves' by Charles Hertan as well.

Dvoretsky's books are too difficult for players below 2000 in my opinion; I recommend Silman's Complete Endgame Course instead.

For tactics, ChessTempo is pretty good.

Share your chess journey with me illingworthchess@gmail.com and Ill give you my 7-Page Basic Chess Training Plan, to direct your chess training and improvement.

CC International Master
    I recommend 'Simple Chess' by Michael Stean. It's a fairly thin book so you might want to add a book like 'Chess Strategy for Club Players' by Herman Grooten or 'Forcing Chess Moves' by Charles Hertan as well.

Dvoretsky's books are too difficult for players below 2000 in my opinion; I recommend Silman's Complete Endgame Course instead.

For tactics, ChessTempo is pretty good.
    Forcing chess moves looks great. I'll use the other two for August and replace Dvoretsky with Silman, thanks again Max.

Here is my second game played just moments ago, also for analysis tomorrow.

[Event "Live Chess"]
    [Site "Chess.com"]
    [Date "2011.11.30"]
    [White "captain-learnchess"]
    [Black "Private_Learoyd"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [WhiteElo "1656"]
    [BlackElo "1103"]
    [TimeControl "25|5"]
    [Termination "captain-learnchess won on time"]

PGN Viewer

1-0
    Last edited by Saragossa; 01-12-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Rite Onz saragossa,

Congrats on making it thru yr 12. Awsome that youve decided to go on to uni-Keep Up the great work Saragossa, the world is your oyster

As for setting such lofty goals rite now in your chess life-sprout wishes u all the luck, ur going to be needing alot of it just to keep the ladys at bay on campus everyday let alone study chess & maintain decent grades.

-Sprout85 =)

PS. . .. . . . . Sprouty is definatly taking notes on max's chess tips given in this thread- THanks MAX ('-')
    ChessChat's Break0ut High Score Champion - 02/02/2012
    ChessChat's Space Invaders High Score Champion - 09/24/2012
    ChessChat's Moon Lander High Score Champion - 10/07/2012
    ChessChat's Asteroids High Score Champion - 10/19/2012

ChessChat's Current Reigning King of the Arcade since 10/07/2012

CC International Master
    After the first week, I have made some amendments to my regime. Notably my printer is shot so I have had to ditch cover guess sessions for the moment. I have worked through my endings book at my set pace, complementing it, and revising similar material on chess.com, both video lectures and chess mentor courses. My results on the mentor course have been positive.

The book course is now covering rook endings, which there is also a video and mentor course available on chess.com which I have been using. I am about to commit the first 25:5 game with my brother to pad so I can more thoroughly annotate it.

Tactics training has been a regular everyday but I don't feel any significant improvement, in fact, I still feel rusty as ever really. In regards to books, I am changing it around a bit. The dynamic English is being replaced with Play the King's indian by Gallagher. I already have quite a bit of material on the King's Indian so I think I will be okay with a slightly more advanced book. Starting out the open games will be replaced with Beating the open games, as it is a repertoire book and I don't want to get stormed by any tricky gambits in 1. e4 e5, so this should have the answers. This means I will have one completely spare month for more middlegame training, which I think I will use for one of the more non-calculation based middlegame books as Forcing chess moves and Van perlo's will have my head spun with calculation.

CC International Master

Game 2 Further Analysis

A note on analysis: I did this annotation by playing through the moves of the game on the board, then without moving my pieces calculated alternatives as best I could in my head. This practice runs throughout except in the opening. However, variations of variations were usually played through to see if I missed anything glaring, which I probably already did do because it seems there were a lot. I might post my full written analysis to better identify with my thinking process. This analysis goes to where I consider the endgame to start. There are a few gaps which I hope to fill and I am currently part way through the ending. Until next time.

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Saragossa; 11-12-2011 at 11:12 PM.

CC International Master
    The above post seems not to work as perhaps there are too many comments. I'll scratch the PGN viewer format and type it all out to a much more reader friendly standard. In other news: my four year old brother is loving chess at the moment, so we looked through the london chess classic games and short's king's gambit inspired him. Here is his attempt:

PGN Viewer

CC International Master
    This is the latest effort between my brother and I. I don't know what happened in the opening but it happens a lot. I think I messed up the move order. I really do have to look at this more. Anyway, updates: Rook endings confound me, so I have fallen behind on my scheduled reading, however, as I discovered I still own a copy of Understanding chess openings volume 2, I can ditch PTKI and snoop through two books, one endgame, one middlegame. My tactics are finally starting to show improvement on CT-art. I got a 95% on 1900-2300 rated problems, which I know is greatly inflated but it seems I might finally be making ground on one of my weaknesses. I left my hard notes on game one in tas, so I will have to do them again, that's one thing I'm dreadful at, redoing work. My ATAR results came in, I got 93.4. Unfortunately my Eng. Writing EA only scored 19.6 but it still puts me in a good position for the college's english award.

PGN Viewer

CC International Master
    Congrats Lawrence, that's a good result for Year 12!

Another book that I can recommend is 'Chess for Tigers' or 'The Survival Guide to Competitive Chess'. It's easy to forget about practical considerations when formulating a cohesive, mid- to long-term study plan.

CC Candidate Master
    This sounds like me, kind of!
    Apart from playing in 2 tournaments this year I havn't looked at a chessboard, but getting back into it over the last few days.
    Don't have a plan as of yet, but I'm thinking of focusing on endgames for now. I also have CT-Art, which I will be using, again (I usually get through a few hundred then stop, then start all over again!)
    I would aim for 2000 by 20, but that only gives me 3 months
    So firstly, I want to solidfy my rating and play at that strength.

Sorry to hijack your thread, just thought I'd let you know its sparked someones interest!

CC International Master
    Congrats Lawrence, that's a good result for Year 12!

Another book that I can recommend is 'Chess for Tigers' or 'The Survival Guide to Competitive Chess'. It's easy to forget about practical considerations when formulating a cohesive, mid- to long-term study plan.
    I've been seriously considering reading chess for tigers and if you recommend it, I'll be sure to check it out.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexrules01
    This sounds like me, kind of!
    Apart from playing in 2 tournaments this year I havn't looked at a chessboard, but getting back into it over the last few days.
    Don't have a plan as of yet, but I'm thinking of focusing on endgames for now. I also have CT-Art, which I will be using, again (I usually get through a few hundred then stop, then start all over again!)
    I would aim for 2000 by 20, but that only gives me 3 months
    So firstly, I want to solidfy my rating and play at that strength.

Sorry to hijack your thread, just thought I'd let you know its sparked someones interest!
    Hijack away! This thread is for everyone's improvements.

Thread Information