Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar

ACF Ratings - Improved presentation!

A few weeks ago there was some discussion about improved presentation of ACF ratings information. To show what is possible, ACE has written a system to look at recent data in different ways.

For individual ratings graphs have a look at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings

For top players by state have a look at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=top

For titled players have a look at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=titles

All information based on data supplied by the ACF

CC FIDE Master
    Neat. I like the graphs. Is this going to be kept current as new ratings are released? What's the point of making the search case-sensitive? Was it just a routine grabbed from somewhere else?

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Recherché
    Neat. I like the graphs. Is this going to be kept current as new ratings are released? What's the point of making the search case-sensitive? Was it just a routine grabbed from somewhere else?
    R
    How does your graph get the discontinuity from 3/9 to 3/12?
    starter

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    R
    How does your graph get the discontinuity from 3/9 to 3/12?
    starter
    Since the 3/12/03 figure was my first rating, the ones before that should simply not be present. Their graphing function seems to require data, however. For some reason they have chosen to use a 1500 rating instead of zero for ratings periods prior to a player being rated. It does make the graph look rather silly.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recherché
    i helped brian with some of the code. yep, to update just requires to update bill's text file so should be ok if the format doesn't change too much. we didn't do case sensivity.

it's just doing query on bill's file and plotting the datapoints. however, you noticed if a period is missing we did set to 1500 (average rating) as the chart does scale badly when it's 0. will have a look to fix this (or highlight missing period) but just thought would have quick go.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quanta
    if a period is missing we did set to 1500 (average rating) as the chart does scale badly when it's 0.
    Is it possible for you to (a) simply not plot data points for missing periods, or (b) have them set to be equal to whatever the first rating value is?

brian/quanta,

well done! it's got some very nice features.

one thing, though. would you guys consider making some top Under-XX lists for juniors? To some extent this is already done at http://www.auschess.org.au/ratings/, but only U12 U16 & U20 are covered. I'd like to see a wider range of age-groups put into a list so kids can see more clearly where they stand against their peers from other states.

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar

R on the up and up!

We have changed the "no rating default" to 0 instead of 1500.
    So R looks much better now!

For under-XX lists, there is no DOB on the Active List so we are looking at using the Master List instead but this is more difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    We have changed the "no rating default" to 0 instead of 1500.
    So R looks much better now!

For under-XX lists, there is no DOB on the Active List so we are looking at using the Master List instead but this is more difficult!
    There is no DOB on the master list either.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    There is no DOB on the master list either.
    isn't there a dob field in the swiss perfect master list (acfmast.zip) though?!

looks like it only has the dob for juniors and top players though
    (eg. one ACT player was born in 1999!!).

This BJ is a marketing genius ain't he? He'll do anything to draw traffic to his site. Good one Brian!

AR

isn't there a dob field in the swiss perfect master list (acfmast.zip) though?!
    That is coirrect, but your use of the term master file seemed to be refering to the text file and not the SP file.

looks like it only has the dob for juniors and top players though
    That isnt the case. It is just that not every player provides their DOB to either their state association of to the rating officers. hence many players have no DOB's listed. I know last year I added all the known NSWCA member DOB's.

(eg. one ACT player was born in 1999!!).
    I'll check it out.

CC Candidate Master
    Excellent site Brian! This is definitely an attractive way to present the ACF ratings.

Just a suggested small improvement: when viewing rating graphs and games played over ratings periods, it would be better if the increments on the y-axis (vertical axis) were 'nicer' numbers, e.g. for ratings, if they were 1900, 2000, 2100, etc, and if for games, they were 10, 20, 30 rather than weird numbers like non-integers.

The other good thing is if you could view the rating trend over a longer period of time, but of course, you may not have access to ratings so long ago.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    This BJ is a marketing genius ain't he? He'll do anything to draw traffic to his site. Good one Brian!
    And it works! I made my contribution to Australian chess by buying some books there the other day. What's more it must work backwards in time as I placed the order before Brian posted this thread!
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    That is coirrect, but your use of the term master file seemed to be refering to the text file and not the SP file.

That isnt the case. It is just that not every player provides their DOB to either their state association of to the rating officers. hence many players have no DOB's listed. I know last year I added all the known NSWCA member DOB's.

I'll check it out.
    sorry, i don't think it's wrong.
    i knew they had some young players down in ACT
    but bit surprised quite this young!

all the other stuff about the DOB is cool.

Thread Information