CC Candidate Master

Rapid and blitz rating lists

The Executive Board meeting in Krakow approved the launch of "Rapid" and "Blitz" rating lists in 2012. We hope that all federations will take note of the regulations regarding these lists, and that they will ensure that tournament organisers in their nations are informed, as well as encouraging them to register their rapid and blitz events for FIDE rating.

It is hoped that tournaments of all standards will be submitted, not just those of a high level. It will be possible for players without any current FIDE rating to enter the rapidplay or blitz list by playing games against rated opponents. All FIDE rating fees for these events will be waived during 2012. The framework of the new lists will be as follows:

Read Full Story

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    sniff sniff

I smell money grabbing opportunities for FIDE!
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Parker
    sniff sniff

I smell money grabbing opportunities for FIDE!

And don't forget to mention the final paragraph of the article suggested by Mr Banda

Quote Originally Posted by FIDE's framework of the new lists
    Decisions concerning any charges for either tournaments or players from 1st January 2013 will be made at the FIDE Congress in Istanbul in 2012. Federations are reminded that it will be possible to remove players from the new lists if the financial burden causes them too many problems.
    That's for those who hurriedly interpreted the move as a triumph of FIDE over local authorities!

ed. emphasis mine
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    And don't forget to mention the final paragraph of the article suggested by Mr Banda

That's for those who hurriedly interpreted the move as a triumph of FIDE over local authorities!

ed. emphasis mine
    Does this imply that FIDE will bill players direct for the charges rather than billing national federations. It hardly seems likely.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    Does this imply that FIDE will bill players direct for the charges rather than billing national federations. It hardly seems likely.

DJ
    No, it implies that FIDE might bill players through national federations according to new standards of charges and ways of payment.

this paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by FIDE's framework of the new lists
    Decisions concerning any charges for either tournaments or players from 1st January 2013 will be made at the FIDE Congress in Istanbul in 2012. Federations are reminded that it will be possible to remove players from the new lists if the financial burden causes them too many problems.
    does not leave many other avenues of interpretation open does it?

I mean to "remove" which players from which "lists"? and what could that "financial burden" be if not the result of the introduction of some new ways of revenue generation?
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    On my interpretation it means that if a decision to bill federations for rapid and blitz ratings is made, it is possible that billing could be based on the number of rated players, or it is possible rates could be levied per rated tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    No, it implies that FIDE might bill players through national federations according to new standards of charges and ways of payment.
    Billing federations per player is not the same thing as billing players through their federations. And federations won't bill individual players for their FIDE ratings as it is much too tedious to collect and chase up; charging a fee per tournament or finding other ways to fund the costs is much easier.

Note also that proposals to devolve charging for events and titles to organisers and applicants instead of federations were dropped from the Events Commission agenda in Krakow without even being discussed, presumably because of negative feedback.

I can say that based on the discussions in Krakow I would not assume rapid/blitz ratings will remain free for long. FIDE wants them to be free initially to encourage federations to rate many tournaments to build a firm statistical base for the new system.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 24-11-2011 at 08:44 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

So the "them" is a reference to national federations, not individual players. That makes (common) sense.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Thread Information