Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    One would have thought an apparently smart fellow like you would have thought to check out the FIDE web site first.
    Bill
    Another score against you.
    I tried both the link from the ACF site and a FIDE.com link I had stored in my favourites. Both gave a server not found full screen from my browser. In order to continue the posting-discussion I was having I asked for help from my BB mates.
    Now I find that one of them jumps to false conclusions when help is asked for.

    starter

  2. #2
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Bill
    Another score against you.
    I think not. It is more a score against you.

    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    I tried both the link from the ACF site and a FIDE.com link I had stored in my favourites. Both gave a server not found full screen from my browser. In order to continue the posting-discussion I was having I asked for help from my BB mates.
    You have never heard of google?

    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Now I find that one of them jumps to false conclusions when help is asked for.
    You gave no indication that you had attempted to locate the rules especially on the FIDE site.
    In fact you asked your question at 8.19. Barry responded 7 minutes later at 8.26 as did gg 8 minutes after your question at 8.27 and both provided a url jn the FIDE web site.
    You then apparently quoted from the rules in a post 8 minutes later at 8.36 a total of 17 minutes from your first post asking for a rules reference.

    How amazing and fortunate for you that the FIDE web site was now apparently working once again.

  3. #3
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I think not. It is more a score against you.


    You have never heard of google?
    So now the rule is that we have to navigate to knowledge in your prescribed way?
    Bill, I got the knowledge because Baz and gg'' helped me. They often do.


    You gave no indication that you had attempted to locate the rules especially on the FIDE site.
    So, spell it out Bill, what is your conclusion?


    In fact you asked your question at 8.19. Barry responded 7 minutes later at 8.26 as did gg 8 minutes after your question at 8.27 and both provided a url jn the FIDE web site.
    Yes Bill, this is what mates do; they help.


    You then apparently quoted from the rules in a post 8 minutes later at 8.36 a total of 17 minutes from your first post asking for a rules reference.
    Yes I did because I was on the thought pattern that Barry stated with his 'compliance becomes a natural'. What I was looking for were a couple of long-standing rules that compliance has not become the norm. I found 3. You have already responded on these. I then reflected and have found what I was looking for in Barry's post about GONG disturbances. I posted on this and am waiting for Barry.

    So, spell it out Bill, what is your conclusion?

    How amazing and fortunate for you that the FIDE web site was now apparently working once again.
    Not amazing to me Bill. I was on a dial-up at home. The URL I was trying which was like FIDE.com was short. The URL that Barry gave was (now obvious to me) the same site but some drill-down page. Why did Baz's work. Search me. I can't even display Jeos board facility since I took advice and turned off some display functions. Web-sites often don't display for me. Ask Jeo; he has given me a special URL to get to chesschat as all the normal ones don't work
    (Before you ask....Windows95...IE5...56k).

    So, spell it out Bill, what is your conclusion?


    starter

  4. #4
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    So now the rule is that we have to navigate to knowledge in your prescribed way?
    I'm just suggesting for a supposed smart person you gave no evidence you had in fact used your brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Bill, I got the knowledge because Baz and gg'' helped me. They often do.
    They also often help those who cannot be bothered to help themselves.
    There was no way to determine what category you fell into.

    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    So, spell it out Bill, what is your conclusion?
    You gave no indication you had tried.
    You gave no indication you had a problem in trying to find them.
    So my conculsion is that it is amazingly co-incidental that you suddenly got lucky and the fide web site suddenly began to work for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Yes Bill, this is what mates do; they help.
    Yes they are very helpful.


    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Yes I did because I was on the thought pattern that Barry stated with his 'compliance becomes a natural'. What I was looking for were a couple of long-standing rules that compliance has not become the norm. I found 3. You have already responded on these. I then reflected and have found what I was looking for in Barry's post about GONG disturbances. I posted on this and am waiting for Barry.

    So, spell it out Bill, what is your conclusion?
    I'm just amazed a player who has been around as long as you did not have a copy of the FIDE rules handy.
    As for any conclusion, its just that you were extremely fortunate the internet decided to suddenly work for you in those intervening 17-20 minutes.


    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Not amazing to me Bill. I was on a dial-up at home. The URL I was trying which was like FIDE.com was short. The URL that Barry gave was (now obvious to me) the same site but some drill-down page. Why did Baz's work. Search me. I can't even display Jeos board facility since I took advice and turned off some display functions. Web-sites often don't display for me. Ask Jeo; he has given me a special URL to get to chesschat as all the normal ones don't work
    (Before you ask....Windows95...IE5...56k).
    Amazing that it can resolve to a paricular page on a web site but could not apparently resolve to www.fide.com.

    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    So, spell it out Bill, what is your conclusion?
    rather than continue to get by on amazing co-incidences my conculsion is you would appear to need a new computer.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 30-09-2004 at 03:08 PM.

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    rather than continue to get by on amazing co-incidences my conculsion is you would appear to need a new computer.
    also change to broadband and change to mozilla firefox instead of ie5. Starter, why do you use ie5 and not ie6

  6. #6
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    also change to broadband and change to mozilla firefox instead of ie5. Starter, why do you use ie5 and not ie6
    hi gg''
    I had a fully functioning computer (as described).
    Was a bit slow so a BB mate suggested turning off xxxx.
    Did that and now K's diagrams etc do not display.
    Reported this to K. and he said 'get a new computer'.

    Have a second problem accessing some web-sites...chesschat.com for example. Reported to K.........and he said ...here, use this port. Now works.

    Have intermittent 'server not found' problems.
    Usually resort to 'try again later', or ask a mate.
    Told Bill...and he said 'get a new computer'.

    And now you suggest that I go the upgrade path.

    All I am doing is wp on a BB.

    starter

  7. #7
    chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,193
    Your computer and ISP are both old and outdated.

    The server not found etc errors are caused by your ISP. Your ISP isn't doing proper DNS updates. This is also the reason why some URLs work for you and some don't. Broadband is not required.

    Even MS doesn't support 95 anymore, you should atleast get windows 2000 or windows xp.

    Computer is something that you should be frequently upgrading (atleast once in 2 or 3 years), to stay up to date. There are many reasons to do this: Speed, Stability, Security are just a few. A new computer doesn't have to be expensive. You only need to upgrade or get a new tower. A new tower (or upgrade) with decent specs can cost you as little as $800 or so.

    Anyway, if you feel like resetting the settings your friend told you to make, let me know what settings they were and what you did and I will help you reset them.
    Last edited by skip to my lou; 30-09-2004 at 06:39 PM.

  8. #8
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680

    To upgrade or to buy or to fix? That was the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    Your computer and ISP are both old and outdated.

    The server not found etc errors are caused by your ISP. Your ISP isn't doing proper DNS updates. This is also the reason why some URLs work for you and some don't. Broadband is not required.

    Even MS doesn't support 95 anymore, you should atleast get windows 2000 or windows xp.

    Computer is something that you should be frequently upgrading (atleast once in 2 or 3 years), to stay up to date. There are many reasons to do this: Speed, Stability, Security are just a few. A new computer doesn't have to be expensive. You only need to upgrade or get a new tower. A new tower (or upgrade) with decent specs can cost you as little as $800 or so.

    Anyway, if you feel like resetting the settings your friend told you to make, let me know what settings they were and what you did and I will help you reset them.
    Thanks Jeo for taking the time to write this post. Please don't take my reference to you saying 'buy a new computer' as criticism of you. I work in a business LAN/WAN environment where if you report a fault to the HELPDesk they send on-site support around to 'blow' away the entire configuration and re-build. The concept of fault-fixing is a relic. King is the concept of the throw-away.

    Now, Bill.
    After Jeo's diagnosis I am ready to accept your apology.
    See, not 'amazing' as you claimed, but K. has put his finger on ISP thingies (whatever they are). Why does K. know more than you Bill? I think he is under 20, and I think you have a big important IT job. Surprising that he seems to have lapped you.

    starter

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster Spiny Norman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,437
    starter,

    Since you were so generous with your time when I visited your club recently, I'd like to see if I can do you a favour in return.

    I am currently doing a complete refit of my company's PCs. Most of them are old and decrepit ... but the occasional one is "non standard" but still works fine if its treated with respect.

    These are, typically, small footprint deskptop cases, perhaps 256MB RAM (some are less) and a reasonable amount of disk. They run Windows 2000 Professional really well, but struggle to make the leap to Windows XP and beyond.

    I'd arrange for the O/S to be pre-installed for you ... all you'd need to do is add any productivity apps and connect up a modem.

    I'll donate one to you, with monitor and peripherals, if you're interested. If you prefer, I could position it internally at my end as "Donated to Box Hill Chess Club" ... might make my job of getting approval a bit easier too I guess.

    It would probably last you for another couple of years I'd reckon ...

    Let me know. I think you've got my email address. Post here if not.

    Regards,

    Frosty
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

  10. #10
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Steve
    I have sent you a private message.
    regards
    starter

  11. #11
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Now, Bill.
    After Jeo's diagnosis I am ready to accept your apology.
    You will be waiting a long time.

    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    See, not 'amazing' as you claimed, but K. has put his finger on ISP thingies (whatever they are). Why does K. know more than you Bill? I think he is under 20, and I think you have a big important IT job. Surprising that he seems to have lapped you.
    He may well be right but he may equally well be wrong or only partially correct.

    Given his comment it does not appear that he was suggesting their DNS server was down but rather that it is not doing DNS updates correctly.
    Of that is the case it is unlikely that www.fide.com will get a DNS error and that www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE1 will not.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 30-09-2004 at 11:44 PM.

  12. #12
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Talking of touch move rules this is from the round 5 report for the Monarch Assurance Isle of Man International tournament.

    There was a little incident in the Moiseenko-Ghaem Maghami game. On move 31 Moiseenko played Rc3, pressed his clock, then unpressed his clock, put the rook back and played Rc5 instead.
    This was observed by spectators as well as his opponent. Of course, touch-piece-move was enforced, although Moiseenko claimed that he had meant to play Rc5. Rc3 was a terrible blunder and cost him the game.
    Moiseenko complained that his opponent had put him off by offering a draw twice earlier in the game. Curiously, Ghaem Maghami's scoresheet does indeed record draw offers made by him on move 10 and 19, although Moiseenko's scoresheet doesn't.


    Moiseenko is a 2640 GM from the Ukraine.

  13. #13
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    He may well be right but he may equally well be wrong or only partially correct.

    Given his comment it does not appear that he was suggesting their DNS server was down but rather that it is not doing DNS updates correctly.
    Of that is the case it is unlikely that www.fide.com will get a DNS error and that www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE1 will not.
    Well Bill I guess you are reduced to accepting my word for the events as they transpired.
    I tried something like www.fide.comand had a problem.
    Posted for help on the BB.
    Got another (related) URL.
    That worked.
    I proceeded to immediately use the FIDE rules in a post.

    Doubt Jeo if you wish. Doubt me if you wish. But I can't see your point.


    starter

  14. #14
    chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    He may well be right but he may equally well be wrong or only partially correct.

    Given his comment it does not appear that he was suggesting their DNS server was down but rather that it is not doing DNS updates correctly.
    Of that is the case it is unlikely that www.fide.com will get a DNS error and that www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE1 will not.
    It is most probably because he used one with www and the other with NO www, in either case I am quite sure his ISP does not do proper DNS updates. When I registered chesschat.org, I made an error in the nameserver IP's and so the second nameserver was returning an error, so basically 50% of requests were not going through. After I fixed it, everyone had access to the board except starter. I remember DNS master records has changed for the ORG and some other extensions, so his ISP probably hasn't updated to the new ones.

  15. #15
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680

    Looks like Karthick is a whiz.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    It is most probably because he used one with www and the other with NO www, in either case I am quite sure his ISP does not do proper DNS updates. When I registered chesschat.org, I made an error in the nameserver IP's and so the second nameserver was returning an error, so basically 50% of requests were not going through. After I fixed it, everyone had access to the board except starter. I remember DNS master records has changed for the ORG and some other extensions, so his ISP probably hasn't updated to the new ones.
    Geez Bill
    This Jeo bloke seems to know his stuff. Now he has got diagnosis which explains why the root FIDE.com did not work for me, but the drill down page URL did.
    And he obviously knows more about my ISP than I do.

    Can you understand his techo. words Bill. Fills me full of respect for him.

    Mt B. IT is in good hands it seems.

    starter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •