Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The New World Chess Organization - ACO

Does anyone know anything about this?

Dear chess friend,

my name is Lothar Hirneise. I am president of the new Amateur Chess Organization (ACO).

We are the new World Chess Organization for amateur chess players. And we are an independent organization and not connected to FIDE.

99% of all chess players are amateurs and the so far only world chess federation FIDE is almost exclusively dedicated to professional chess. Because this trend has increased tremendously over the last few years the establishment of a new world chess organization especially for amateur players under 2400 ELO was a necessary consequence.

More information about the ACO you will find on our webpage www.amateurchess.com

From 2012 on we are hosting two World Championships for amateur chess players:

World Amateur Chess Championship from 06 -15 July 2012 in Dubai

Playing venue will be the 5 star hotel Jebel Ali Golf Resort & Spa, where also the participants will stay during the tournament. Highlight of this event will be the prize giving ceremony + gala dinner. Therefore the 7-star hotel Burj Al-Arab grants entrance to the most luxurious ballroom of the world, the Al-Falak-Ballroom which is located at 250 meters, exclusively for the participants of the ACO World Amateur Chess Championship.

World Youth Chess Championship from 04 - 12 August 2012 at Disneyland Paris

Playing venue will be the conference room of Disney’s Hotel New York.

The children (U8 – U20) will play their games of chess in the morning so that they can spend their afternoon at the two Disney parks. The participants stay in 3 different Disney hotels.

But organizing chess tournaments is only a part of our work:

In the beginning of 2012 we will be introducing our own chess server with lots of novelties in chess playing, chess community and social exchange among chess players.

Besides our web pages we are also developing a new rating system in cooperation with systemic and mathematical experts that firstly improves on the existing defects of the ELO-System. Secondly it considers the entire chess player, not just his classical chess performances. Thirdly it does not cause such high costs for tournament organizers as the ELO-System does now.

You see there is happening something positive (finally) again in the world of chess. ACO will be focusing on intensifying and recreating the pleasure of playing chess.

For this purpose we have called on our website to the competition

"Create YOUR chess organization". We are looking for creative ideas on how the ACO can improve the chess world for amateurs. Proposals can be submitted until December 31th, 2011. The ACO will be awarding the best idea with a paid starting place for the ACO World Amateur Championship in Dubai, 2012.

To continue keeping you up to date on the development of the ACO we will be informing you at irregular intervals.

Yours sincerely,

Lothar Hirneise
    President ACO

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Yes some of us on the ACF got a fair amount of their spam several months ago. At the time it seemed to be primarily a front for a paysite and though it seems to have advanced a bit beyond that since it is still not being taken seriously. It really doesn't help that the founder is a nutter.

Hardly anybody is a chess amateur. You only need to have won one cash prize to be a professional. So even I qualify several times over!

Somehow I don't think the world amateur chess champs will happen....
    Last edited by Adamski; 22-10-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Depends on how you define amateur? I think you are using the golf definition.

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Somehow I don't think the world amateur chess champs will happen....
    Their web page is nice. It's quite funny , or dodgy , i'm not sure which.
    Hmmm.... on his team he has a few names. The CEOs appear to be a twenty year old GM, Falko Bindrich, and a relative, International Master Tobias Hirneise.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Hardly anybody is a chess amateur. You only need to have won one cash prize to be a professional. So even I qualify several times over!
    Nope you are still amateur. If your a professional you had better be willing to give the ATO a cut! lol
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Parker
    Nope you are still amateur. If your a professional you had better be willing to give the ATO a cut! lol
    But couldn't you also claim chess books, equipment and tournament fees and accommodation as tax deductions?

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC International Master
    I believe there are tax rules relating to income earned from hobbies, which don't necessarily match up with the definition of professional used by sports or other controlling bodies (chess in any case has never formally distinguished amateurs and professionals). One purpose of this is probably to prevent scams involving write-offs from hobbies, which are usually done at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    I believe there are tax rules relating to income earned from hobbies, which don't necessarily match up with the definition of professional used by sports or other controlling bodies (chess in any case has never formally distinguished amateurs and professionals). One purpose of this is probably to prevent scams involving write-offs from hobbies, which are usually done at a loss.

Actually I heard that a Canberra player many years ago claimed to be a professional chess player for that purpose. But I don't know if the player actually did so or was successful.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC Grandmaster
    I am an amateur. I do not play tournaments regularly - Just play blitz and allegro at the local club. No income (then some coins when I win the allegro) derived from chess - that makes me an amateur. I can think of some GMs who gave up chess now so could also be called amateurs.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

In my view both his claim that FIDE is almost exclusively dedicated to professional chess and his claim that that so-called trend is increasing are really nothing but unfounded propaganda.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    It really doesn't help that the founder is a nutter.
    Being a nutter is hardly a disqualification from heading a chess organisation

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Ah ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    In my view both his claim that FIDE is almost exclusively dedicated to professional chess and his claim that that so-called trend is increasing are really nothing but unfounded propaganda.
    But I think that there is an argument that FIDE's laws and tournament rules are made with top-ranking events, not ordinary chess club tourneys, in mind.

DJ

So-called interview (the questions are hardly probing and the interviewer is not even named!) at http://www.chesscafe.com/skittles/skittles.htm

Thread Information