View Poll Results: Are Apple the new Microsoft?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - Apple have a legitimate right to protect their IP in this case

1 8.33%
  • Yes - Apple are simply scared of a better product and using the courts to stifle competition

8 66.67%
  • 50/50 - Apple are basically justfied but Samsung should still be able to compete in the market with their products

2 16.67%
  • Don't know or don't care - What's an iPad?

1 8.33%
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar

Are Apple the new Microsoft?

There seems to be a feeling that Apple are now the big corporate megalith trying to crush competition under the weight of patent infringement suits. Now the sale of the Samsung tablet has been suspended in Australia pending the findings of just such a suit filed in courts here.

Court stops sale of Samsung tablets

So have Apple become the new Microsoft? Have they turned into the people they came to save us from?

Cast your vote now...
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Remember, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jack Sparrow does something vile and said "pirates?" He said it was a known fact, that was a pirate and yet people expected more from him.

Microsoft vs. Apple a lot of the same. When a company behaves in its own interest, the consumer (or Fanboys) claims "mistake." Companies are crying out loud, of course, want to block their product in you!

There are other alternatives to Apple products, a lot. But the thing is ... People like these products. All the people I know have a positive view of Apple. This is a big difference if people did not like both Apple, which would be made the same complaints that were (and are) made on Microsoft.

I say, if you do not like something the company is doing - vote for your wallet and not buy the product. Consumers will drive these companies (just look what happened to the correction iPhone $ 100).

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Apple products are nice but not low end. Apple don't want the Samsung tablets doing what the IBM Clone did to PC hardware sales for IBM.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    It *is* getting pretty ugly - all this Apple v Google V Adobe flash V Microsoft
    Imho, Apple are stooping pretty low to ban Android on some sort of look and feel issue.

I was just reading Apple v Flash: war is declared
    Personally the scales fell from my eyes when, the day before the launch of Adobe’s Creative Suite 5, Apple announced that it was changing its terms of service to ban third-party development tools. This deliberately hostile act completely undercut what should have been the star capability of the new Flash Professional CS5
    I use Linux mainly, but test my software and play games on both windows and osx.

I wouldn't particularly like to be locked into Apple, but i'd rip my head off before giving Microsoft my money. Their products just have no coherancy or ellegance, and are famously insecure as a result of poor design and the typical software get-it-out-the-door thing. Apple has had serious competition since day one, but succeeded because of the merit of Macbooks, iPhones, iPads, iTunes etc. Microsoft succeeded because BG was the first person to cobble together some POS operating system (MSDOS - which he didnt even write himself) on the back of the modular IBM PC and Clones.

</rant>

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    PCPro have some nice articles actually.
    They have a big back-log of Jon Honeyball's articles.
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/author/jhoneyball/

CC International Master
    I try to remove myself from the game like stevenaaus by running a GNU/linux distro. Apple sucks and so does Microsoft, it really isn't as if Apple stifling development, not just competition with copyright is new.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

Thread Information