Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by george
    hi all,

Phil Viner was a very level headed cautious representative of the ACF at FIDE Conferences. He reported most accurately what had occurred and was exemplary in his duties as I saw first hand in Slovenia.

If KB performed the same task anywhere near the level of Phil and was recompensed for costs it was money well spent.

regards to all
    But that does not consider if the ACF can afford such in the long term nor if a suitable replacement would have also done without costs, as may have attended as a player as well. Why spend good money when avoidable and are Grandmasters are probably only getting a fraction of that for playing top games representing Australia, whereas a delegate is basically a paper shuffler
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    What AC is proposing is basically tantamount to selling the position. He's suggesting the ACF should prefer a person who will pay their own way to a person whose expenses will be covered, because this is better for the ACF's bottom line.

By the same token, instead of calling for someone who will do the position at their own expense, the ACF may as well even call for someone who will pay to hold the position, since that makes its bottom line even better!

We could adopt AC-logic and do the same thing with the Olympiad team as well. After all just because grandmasters and top IMs are the best people to represent Australia at Olympiads doesn't mean everyone else is unsuitable; heck, we've been represented by mere FMs in the past. So maybe following AC's ideas we should auction board 1 off to anyone with a FIDE rating over 2300 so the rest of the team can travel fully subsidised?

(Oh yes, there are countries that actually do this!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    What AC is proposing is basically tantamount to selling the position. He's suggesting the ACF should prefer a person who will pay their own way to a person whose expenses will be covered, because this is better for the ACF's bottom line.

By the same token, instead of calling for someone who will do the position at their own expense, the ACF may as well even call for someone who will pay to hold the position, since that makes its bottom line even better!

We could adopt AC-logic and do the same thing with the Olympiad team as well. After all just because grandmasters and top IMs are the best people to represent Australia at Olympiads doesn't mean everyone else is unsuitable; heck, we've been represented by mere FMs in the past. So maybe following AC's ideas we should auction board 1 off to anyone with a FIDE rating over 2300 so the rest of the team can travel fully subsidised?

(Oh yes, there are countries that actually do this!)

If this is the best you can come up with you greatly disappoint me and add further to the argument that we don't necessary get better representation because it is paid for.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    If this is the best you can come up with you greatly disappoint me
    No I don't. For me to do that would require you to have standards that I could fall short of and it's completely obvious from your output here that you don't.

Whether I could come up with better is irrelevant since doing so would be unnecessary overkill.

Thread Information