0 0%
  • Gelfand by four or more games

0 0%
  • The match will be cancelled, greatly deferred or not completed

0 0%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

2012 World Championship Match in Moscow

Press Release http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7442

The Federation Internationale des Echecs is pleased to announce that following the evaluation of the bids for the World Chess Championship Match 2012 and the recommendations by the World Championship and Olympiad Commission, it has awarded the organization of the match to the Russian Chess Federation.

The match will be held in May 2012 in Moscow, Russia and offers the World Champion Vishwanthanan Anand from India, and the Challenger Boris Gelfand from Israel, a prize fund of 2,550,000 US Dollars.

FIDE thanked the Russian Chess Federation for its winning bid and will work together with the RCF to ensure that the match is organized under the best conditions for both players.

The FIDE President, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov expressed his gratitude also to the All India Chess Federation who worked very hard to put in a very competitive bid with the support of the Government of Tamil Nadu.

In view of the commitment shown by the AICF and the appreciation of FIDE towards the development of chess in India, the AICF would be given a first option of three months following the match in Moscow, to make a proposal for the organization of the World Chess Championship Match 2013.

FIDE is further pleased to announce that the Women’s World Chess Championship Match between Women World Champion Hou Yifan from China and the Challenger Humpy Koneru from India, will be held in Tirana, Albania in November 2011 for a prize fund of 200,000 Euros.

Congratulations to
    Russia the know one thing or two about Chess
    India A force to be reckoned with!
    Albania Good luck to the new kids on the block!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I'm pleased in a way it's a neutral venue. On the other hand, Anand just had to defend his title on his opponent's turf so it wouldn't have been unfair for him to get to defend it at home and probably would have been another great thing for Indian chess.

Would be interesting to know the basis for the decision - ie whether the Moscow bid was actually superior or if this decision is political.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    ...Would be interesting to know the basis for the decision - ie whether the Moscow bid was actually superior or if this decision is political.
    The amount of money offered by Moscow (*) seems to be a decisive factor, yet you never know since politics usually play a role as well!

(*) still roughly half of the money offered to Bobby in 1992 to attract him back to OTB chess!
    Last edited by ER; 09-08-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

Gee this is becoming a bit silly. Re the above press release:

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbase
    The following press release is not valid. It was sent to us in the morning and subsequently retracted by FIDE to make some final corrections. We will replaced the text as soon as the new version arrives, and draw your attention to this on our front page. We republish the original (retracted) version since it has already found its way to chess blogs on the Internet.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    Congratulations to
    Russia the know one thing or two about Chess
    India A force to be reckoned with!
    Albania Good luck to the new kids on the block!
    JaK,

I am really pleased that Albania is hosting the Women's World Chess Championship as it will be great for the country.

Also having very strong ties with the Albanian community here in Australia, there is a chance that I may go to Albania to report on this event.

I will be open to any media outlet, chess magazine to be an official reporter live at the event if they are interested. If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me by private message or by email address at jchess7@gmail.com

lost (Jamie Kenmure)

Tirana is a well-known venue for Chess. Good luck to them with the WWCC match.

I assume Boris is ok about playing in Russia.
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    President of, and arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    The amount of money offered by Moscow
    From what I can tell the prize fund offered by Moscow is half the total budget offered by Chennai. I don't know what Chennai's prize fund would have been on that basis.

From what I can tell the prize fund offered by Moscow is half the total budget offered by Chennai. I don't know what Chennai's prize fund would have been on that basis.
    Of course we are all speculating, but perhaps at least some of the decision was made on security concerns. Not that Moscow is completely safe . That being said, Fide have held tournaments in questionable areas from a safety point of view.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Tirana is a well-known venue for Chess. Good luck to them with the WWCC match.

I assume Boris is ok about playing in Russia.
    Tirana is a fantastic city and the Albanian culture is magnificant. You never know, I might make the trip there to experience it.

lost

Press release has been re-released with only minor changes.

The Hindustan Times claims the prize fund for India would have been about the same.

Can't get excited about this match at all now. The way their ratings are going they will be rated about 4 and 20 in the world going into it.

CC International Master
    Can't get excited about this match at all now. The way their ratings are going they will be rated about 4 and 20 in the world going into it.
    I wouldn't read a lot into Anand's rating. He isn't going to reveal his opening preparation for a mere supertournament yet is only slightly lower rated than this time last year (and actually higher rated than two years ago), whereas the top two on the list are players on the way up with the freedom to give it everything every time.

The same is true of Gelfand, but he also starts from a lower point.

There are 2 possible interpretations for what is happening to Gelfand at Wijk aan Zee at the moment.

1. He's totally focused on his preparation for the match with Anand, and maybe playing here was a mistake.
    2. He's totally out of form and is going to get spanked by Anand.

We can only hope that 1 is correct.
    When everything is said and done, and nothings left to do, I'd like to be the final one to say "What else is new?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bollard
    There are 2 possible interpretations for what is happening to Gelfand at Wijk aan Zee at the moment.

1. He's totally focused on his preparation for the match with Anand, and maybe playing here was a mistake.
    2. He's totally out of form and is going to get spanked by Anand.

We can only hope that 1 is correct.
    I hope its not 2, but at least there is still plenty of time until May. Hopefully Boris will be competitive.
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    President of, and arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information