CC Rookie

Chess Program- Review and Analyse Games

What chess program or software do people recommend for analyzing games?

I have a rating of about 1500 and would like to use a program to improve my game. Are there any free programs on the net or I would be better off buying Fritz or such?

Cheers
    Justin

I think you will need to spend money. I like Fritz 12 but others think Rybka stronger. i am happy to stay with my German Fred.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Old and beta versions of Rybka can be downloaded for free but setting them up to run smoothly with all features seems a bit tricky. If anyone has done this successfully they might want to run through the process.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell843

I have a rating of about 1500 and would like to use a program to improve my game. Are there any free programs on the net or I would be better off buying Fritz or such?

Cheers
    Justin
    A combination of ChessBase 11, Houdini and your own judgment is hard to beat.

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Illingworth
    A combination of ChessBase 11, Houdini and your own judgment is hard to beat.
    I wonder if down the future people will look back to precomputer chess with nostaliga - just your favourite books and magazines
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 09-08-2011 at 04:14 PM.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    I wonder if down the future people will look back to precomputer chess with nostaliga - just your favourite books and magazines
    People already have.

CC Candidate Master
    Any decent engine will do, they will all defeat super GMs fairly and as such it doesn't really matter. Unless you're feeling generous, then I highly recommend that you download Scid or one of it's forks (as opposed to ChessBase or Chess Assistant), as it will almost certainly provide you with what you want (and then some!) and with one added bonus... it's free!

CC International Master
    ChessBase Light is another good free database program, although I'm not sure if you can create new UCI engines on CB Light.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Illingworth
    ChessBase Light is another good free database program, although I'm not sure if you can create new UCI engines on CB Light.
    I don't think you can do much with ChessBase Light unless you buy a licence, although the licence was only around $40-00 when I looked into it.

cheers
    Garrett.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    I don't think you can do much with ChessBase Light unless you buy a licence, although the licence was only around $40-00 when I looked into it.

cheers
    Garrett.
    I know that you used to be able to buy ChessBase Light Premium at a cheaper price than ChessBase, however ChessBase have stopped selling it. I have read and been told that ChessBase Light Premium was the same as ChessBase but without the databases that come with the Starter or Mega Package, though I haven't verified this myself.

It's been almost a decade since I last used ChessBase Light so I'm not familiar with its features.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell843

Cheers
    Justin
    Fruit
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Scid vs. PC has a slightly overhauled "Annotation" feature to SCID (took me lots of coding actually).

Just start up any chess engine , press the notepad button, and configure the feature. Batch annotation is possible, and scores-only too if all you want is a game score graph.

I've never used commercial software, so maybe they have more features.

Thanks for all the hard work Steven. From a SCID user (more so before I acquired Fritz 12).
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master

ok

I use my Fritz 8 that I bought in 2005 but I put the Fruit 2.2.1 engine in it and do full analysis.

Thread Information