0 0%
  • Juniors are guaranteed to improve

0 0%
  • It's Israel's fault

4 36.36%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar

A New Catchcry for the ACF

A poll to see if we can recommend a new catchcry for the ACF. Various ideas have been expressed throughout this forum and I've formed these into new catchcries that encapsulate the essense of chess in Asutralia. For those who can't decide a short voter demographic is also supplied...

(1) Interested only in supporting the status quo. Obviously boring and probably members of the petite bourgeoisie.

(2) Thinly veiled counterintellectual snob. First ones against the wall when the revolution comes.

(3) 19th century, sexist and bi-curious males living in the past.

(4) Die-hards of those believing chess should be included in the Summer Olympics with equal air time of women's beach volleyball. It ain't gonna happen because of too many #3 voters in the viewing public.

(5) Members of the Matthew Elliot fan club expected to vote here.

(6) Only really expecting one vote here. No prizes for guessing.

(7) No further explanation needed. See #6
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Meta-debate/flamewar has been split.

I notice (though I don't think anyone else has) that the Australian Deadocrats have quit their tired old line about "keeping the bastards honest" and recently rebadged themselves as "The Lie Detectors", complete with wannabe-hard-hitting Matrix-style graphics.

Can we do something like that too? A harder more modern image? Maybe Tarantino-style? From Dusk Til Pawn?

*runs away*
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

from some of the posts on this bb, i am sure some would want the name to be- kill bill

CC International Master
    I suggest: "I am the walrus".

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    A poll to see if we can recommend a new catchcry for the ACF. Various ideas have been expressed throughout this forum and I've formed these into new catchcries that encapsulate the essense of chess in Asutralia. For those who can't decide a short voter demographic is also supplied...

(1) Interested only in supporting the status quo. Obviously boring and probably members of the petite bourgeoisie.

(2) Thinly veiled counterintellectual snob. First ones against the wall when the revolution comes.

(3) 19th century, sexist and bi-curious males living in the past.

(4) Die-hards of those believing chess should be included in the Summer Olympics with equal air time of women's beach volleyball. It ain't gonna happen because of too many #3 voters in the viewing public.

(5) Members of the Matthew Elliot fan club expected to vote here.

(6) Only really expecting one vote here. No prizes for guessing.

(7) No further explanation needed. See #6
    Barry
    I have been trying to vote for #5 by pressing
    here => http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/
    as the instruction in your post said.
    Nothing much happens. Can you try.

starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    I have been trying to vote for #5 by pressing
    here => http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/
    as the instruction in your post said.
    Nothing much happens. Can you try.
    I suggest you move to Florida.

Account Permanently Banned
    I suggest you move to Florida.
    Should I fly direct, or a stopover at Chad?

Re: the poll question(s).

Whatever happened to "none of the above"?

New question: Does Australian Chess (as a movement, or an organisation, or whatever) have a vision, a mission, a published strategy, a marketing plan, etc?

If so, is there a version available for public consumption?

If not ... why not???

If Aussie chess isn't grabbing the public imagination in the way we want it to, then a "catchy slogan" just ain't going to cut it.

We need to change the inputs to change the outputs (any sensible IT person will tell you that!).

Look, I love chess ... but it seems to be presenting itself in basically the same ways that it has for years (my perception, based on limited recent experience).

There are success stories around. Good clubs, healthy, growing, having an impact on their local communities.

Q. Are there case studies of what did (and, more importantly, what didn't) work?

</rant=off>

"starter" has been really helpful from my perspective. I went and met with him a few weeks ago because I had an interest in starting a new club and promoting chess in my local community. He was able to provide me with documentation ... really useful information ... on what has clearly been working really well @ Box Hill in VIC.

If other people have access to similar information I'd really love to hear about it ... its valuable ... its blood, sweat and tears, its "learning the hard way" to find out what works and what doesn't (in metro-Melb at least).

Regards to all,

Steve

P.S. I really DO appreciate everyone's contributions here, for better or worse, because at least everyone clearly CARES about chess and seeing it become more successful. I don't mind disagreements about HOW ... that's healthy ... provided we all give credit where credit is due when someone achieves something ... so thanks to all of you who have been gracious enough to answer questions from a newbie.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Here's another thing:

<raving type=looney mode=on>

"The clever sport"

What is that? Please, PLEASE, don't tell me that this is how we position ourselves in the market. It sounds almost frighteningly (is that a word?) plausible...

New "customer" thinks: "Hmmm. clever sport. they're more clever than me. bastards!"

How about thinking about chess from the point of view of how it HELPS OTHER PEOPLE improve their life???

People are stuck with their IQ (more or less). Don't remind them of it!!! They won't get "more clever" playing chess. They'll just get sick of being beaten by people more clever than they are.

Gotta get the focus off the "i'm more clever than you" crap and find a way of helping people feel better about themselves and their life!

<finishes 2nd glass of extraordinarily good chardonnay!>

nightey night everyone....
    goodnight john boy
    goodnight mary-ellen

<raving type=looney mode=off>

Frosty
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Interesting frosty......
    The only marketing that is done, as far as i can see is marketing only within the chess community. Or i know that Peter par advertises NSWCA chess tournaments in his column in Mondays SMH. (mind you it is buried in with the bridge column in amongst the classifieds).

I think that chess needs to be marketed perhaps through individual clubs catchment area. Perhaps inserting advertisements of the local clubs in local newspapers perhaps?? and maybe not in amongst other ads as in classifieds.

Or perhaps advertisements of tournaments on radio? If i remember correctly 2day FM in sydney has a "Community noticeboard" or "community switchboard" or whatever it is called, that lets people know what is on on the weekend. But most people are chess illiterate so perhaps this may create awareness of chess but perhaps not the avenue to grow chess at this point of time????
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Re: the poll question(s).
    Frosty Steve. My poll was intended to be purely facescious. If you want to genuinely come up with a enw slogan I suggest you start a new thread in the Aust Chess section. I put this in the non-Chess forum for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tparker
    Interesting frosty......
    The only marketing that is done, as far as i can see is marketing only within the chess community. Or i know that Peter par advertises NSWCA chess tournaments in his column in Mondays SMH. (mind you it is buried in with the bridge column in amongst the classifieds).

I think that chess needs to be marketed perhaps through individual clubs catchment area. Perhaps inserting advertisements of the local clubs in local newspapers perhaps?? and maybe not in amongst other ads as in classifieds.

Or perhaps advertisements of tournaments on radio? If i remember correctly 2day FM in sydney has a "Community noticeboard" or "community switchboard" or whatever it is called, that lets people know what is on on the weekend. But most people are chess illiterate so perhaps this may create awareness of chess but perhaps not the avenue to grow chess at this point of time????
    All good thoughts ... but last night's rant by me was trying to get people to think about the fact that all of this stuff needs to be within the context of a properly thought through strategic plan.

Other sports do it. Why shouldn't we? We've got some of the brightest minds in the country that could work on it.

But we would need to get some help (always a humbling experience) from a couple of expert sources so that we focus everything we do around the customer's need and also ensure that everything we present to the market/community is part of a consistent presentation of our message.

***************** This quote is pure GOLD:

"Its not what we DO that's important, its what we BE ...

We are human BEINGS, not human doings."

Now that is why you always start right at the beginning, with the vision of what the Australian Chess community is (or will be when our plans are executed successfully) before you being to think about how to actually achieve it.

People have spoken in various threads about getting sponsorships. That's hard yakka. I know this because in the business scene I've done the hard yards in trying to raise capital to fund business expansion. The only way you get anywhere with that process is to have a clearly articulated, written (!) plan that uses non-technical (i.e. non-chess) language to tell people what and why you are going that direction ... and then a 10-second elevator pitch that grabs potential investor's interest.

At the end of the day, the "customer" isn't buying chess. We don't sell chess. Therefore we shouldn't market chess?

People participate in chess clubs and tournaments etc. for a whole host of reasons that often have nothing to do with moving bits or wood or plastic around a checkerboard.

I know that people here know this ... but do we REALLY know it? Do we focus our efforts on it? Some do I'm sure. Better communicating to the community how we help them meet those (perhaps) unstated needs of theirs is what will improve attendances and membership numbers.

I might sound like a mad marketer at this point, but I believe there really is something in this. I have run both successful and non-successful software/consulting businesses for the past 9 years and I have learned the hard way that to succeed you must start and finish with the customer's need (their true need).

Q. Why are bowls clubs seemingly so successful? Hundred's of thousands of members around the country! (more than 300,000 I am reliably informed). What do they have that we either don't have or cannot offer?

Frosty
    Last edited by Spiny Norman; 30-09-2004 at 06:45 AM.

Frosty Steve. My poll was intended to be purely facescious. If you want to genuinely come up with a enw slogan I suggest you start a new thread in the Aust Chess section. I put this in the non-Chess forum for a reason.

Hi Barry,

Yeah, I know ... ... for some reason (even though I'd read the thread a couple of times before, it just "set me off" last night.

Maybe because I'm dealing at work right now with a whole bunch of unstructured people who are trying to rapidly expand their business but don't see the value of planning (oh, they SAY they do, but when it comes to the crunch ... well ... "lets just get on with it" is the catch-cry).

I don't think I'd dare to post it in a "serious thread".

Doubtless there are plenty of smarter, more experienced people than me that have already looked at these kinds of issues.

Cheers,

Frosty.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    People have spoken in various threads about getting sponsorships. That's hard yakka. I know this because in the business scene I've done the hard yards in trying to raise capital to fund business expansion. The only way you get anywhere with that process is to have a clearly articulated, written (!) plan that uses non-technical (i.e. non-chess) language to tell people what and why you are going that direction ... and then a 10-second elevator pitch that grabs potential investor's interest.
    ... having said that ... its not that hard!

In my last business we were successful in raising around A$3M for a software business (that business unfortunately subsequently failed after 3 years, but that's another story). We also had offers to invest capital from USA-based VCs in the amount of US$5M.

1. Demonstrate that you know who your customer is (market segmentation) and what their needs are
    2. Prepare a good market story that simply communicates what return you are going to generate for the "investor"
    3. Make sure you have an easily understood Sustainable Competitive Advantage (SCA).
    4. Demonstrate a management team that has the skills and experience needed to execute the plan
    5. Knock on a lot of doors ... but use your networks of contacts to get to the people you need to see

Questions I always ask at the beginning of any venture, whether small or large (learned from one of my business mentors):

1. Who is my customer?
    2. What do they want?
    3. How much are they prepared to pay?
    4. How am I going to deliver my solution to them?
    5. What does my product/solution look like?

Notice that the product/solution comes LAST. Its the least important part of the equation ... the customer and their need always comes first.

Enough looney raving from me. I'm off to work...

Frosty

Maybe the words of Jolly Swagman could be re-written to a chess theme. It could be made a lot longer.

"...and the black King says 'You'll never take me alive Whitey'" blah blah

Thread Information