Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 77
  1. #46
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice by Tappy !
    keep school limited to maths science enlish social studies etc.
    Unfortunately most of them can be tampered with too.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  2. #47
    Account Banned Sir Cromulent Sparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Unfortunately most of them can be tampered with too.
    good point, but spirtual/ethical quandaries are of a much greater importance than what the capital of greenland is or pi to a thousand places.

  3. #48
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,574
    Jono's fellow christofascists are at it again.

    Primary school abused over dropping Lord's Prayer

    A state primary school in Perth has been inundated with hate mail after deciding to drop the recital of the Lord's Prayer at assemblies.

    The Education Department says the Edgewater Primary School has received letters, emails and abusive phone calls from people around Australia, venting their anger at the decision.

    The school dropped its 25 year tradition of saying the Lord's Prayer at assemblies after complaints from some parents that it breached state school policy, which states public schools should not promote one religious faith over another.

    Looks like some people are happy with Australia being a secular society so long as it is a christian secular society.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  4. #49
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    21,236

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Jono's fellow christofascists are at it again.

    Primary school abused over dropping Lord's Prayer

    A state primary school in Perth has been inundated with hate mail after deciding to drop the recital of the Lord's Prayer at assemblies.

    The Education Department says the Edgewater Primary School has received letters, emails and abusive phone calls from people around Australia, venting their anger at the decision.

    The school dropped its 25 year tradition of saying the Lord's Prayer at assemblies after complaints from some parents that it breached state school policy, which states public schools should not promote one religious faith over another.

    Looks like some people are happy with Australia being a secular society so long as it is a christian secular society.
    Not having seen this alleged hate mail, how do we know. But given that this school bureaucrat cancelled because of a vociferous minority of atheopathic parents, it's more likely he has a very low threshold for what counts as "abusive".
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  5. #50
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Not having seen this alleged hate mail, how do we know. But given that this school bureaucrat cancelled because of a vociferous minority of atheopathic parents, it's more likely he has a very low threshold for what counts as "abusive".
    Bit of a double standard here. You imply scepticism concerning whether the "alleged hate mail" was necessarily hate mail (given that we have not seen it) but at the same time are happy to assert without evidence that the parents who complained must have been "atheopaths" - for all the article says they could have been Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, agnostics, deists or even Satanists.

    It also seems that the school is being targeted (including by the Premier) for correctly implementing a policy. If there was a policy that implied that "public schools should not promote one religious faith over another." then the Lord's Prayer should have been given the boot under that policy without waiting for even one parent to complain, unless it appeared alongside equivalent texts from other religious faiths and non-religious viewpoints. Bibliopaths ( ) who have an issue with what has happened should be targeting the policy instead of abusing the messenger.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  6. #51
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Bit of a double standard here.
    I agree but the bigger double standard is Jono promulgates a highly dubious story without corroboration regarding the Islamic religion thus seeking to denigrate the "competition" without any critical thought. When presented with a story of Christian intolerance which is corroborated he questions its veracity without any evidence to support such denialism.

    Certainly the level of violence in both case is not comparable, it does seem likely the Norwegian story was mere fantasy.

    Regarding Colin Barnett's response. He is the epitome of a gormless worm.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  7. #52
    Account Banned Sir Cromulent Sparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I agree but the bigger double standard is Jono promulgates a highly dubious story without corroboration regarding the Islamic religion thus seeking to denigrate the "competition" without any critical thought. When presented with a story of Christian intolerance which is corroborated he questions its veracity without any evidence to support such denialism.

    Certainly the level of violence in both case is not comparable, it does seem likely the Norwegian story was mere fantasy.

    Regarding Colin Barnett's response. He is the epitome of a gormless worm.
    steady on there rincewind, colin isnt that useful.

    anyway, good to see christians spreading their love generously.

  8. #53
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice by Tappy !
    steady on there rincewind, colin isnt that useful.
    His only "use" would be to serve as a warning to others.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  9. #54
    Account Banned Sir Cromulent Sparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    His only "use" would be to serve as a warning to others.
    we like to think of him as our "accidental premier".

  10. #55
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice by Tappy !
    we like to think of him as our "accidental premier".
    Unfortunately for WA, "accidental" premiers have a habit of sticking around (with an increased majority) in their second term.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  11. #56
    Account Banned Sir Cromulent Sparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Unfortunately for WA, "accidental" premiers have a habit of sticking around (with an increased majority) in their second term.
    our sense of humour is quite an acquired taste.
    julie bishop and wilson tuckey are further examples of this.

    colin will most likely get re-elected. he doesnt seem to offend anybody due to the fact he hardly has an opinion on anything (except the mining tax which is just far too easy to deride out here in the quarry state.)

    as for the hate mail im sure colin is paralysed in his usual somnulent quandry and is unable to discern what a secular institute is and how support for the removal of the prayer would affect the liberal partys christian demographic vote count come election time.

    nice fence sitting by our glorious premier stating that " most people would believe the lords prayer is appropriate in a government school ".

    obviously that statement will send the right message to all the gutless wonders writing and calling the school with their special brand of "dissatisfaction".

    the story from "the west australian". - http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...-mail-barrage/
    Last edited by Sir Cromulent Sparkles; 24-09-2011 at 05:02 PM.

  12. #57
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,780
    School acts after parents reject the teaching of scripture during class time

    Spencer Park Primary School in Albany has informed its school community that it would discontinue with scripture classes after the school conducted a survey of parents and guardians.

    As reported by the ABC in late October, the school launched a survey after parents complained that Christian scripture was taking up valuable learning time.

    In its recent newsletter published on 18 November, the school announced that the majority of parents wanted scripture to be removed.

    “Results from the survey indicated that the majority of parents do not support the continuation of Scripture in its current form,” the newsletter said.

    “Based on this and other feedback the School Board has decided to cease the existing Scripture format from next year onwards. ...

  13. #58
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,725
    Do not try to pervert childrens minds by exposing them to religious bullshit. There is no god, all religions are man made and totally false and have no part in our childrens education

  14. #59
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    There is no god, all religions are man made and totally false and have no part in our childrens education
    I do not follow a particular religion. As far as my ''Faith'' is concerned - I believe there got to be some kind of ''higher powers/intellect'' (not sure what those are - could be God...could be some other force that we may not be even able to know/describe) but saying that ''all religions are bullshit'' is no different from saying all values/sets of beliefs that people have are bullshit.
    I am by no means supporting having religious classes in State schools irrespective of which particular religion we are referring to but parents/children have a right to follow any religious of their choice. Likewise, parents have a right to introduce their religions to their kids.

    So 1) I agree with you that religious education should not be part of the state school system (beyond general cultural/society/history studies as religion has been big part of culture...so while studying history - issues where religion has been involved over the years will inevitebly get touched)
    2) We need to treat those who follow/worship with respect.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  15. #60
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,327
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I do not follow a particular religion. As far as my ''Faith'' is concerned - I believe there got to be some kind of ''higher powers/intellect'' (not sure what those are - could be God...could be some other force that we may not be even able to know/describe) but saying that ''all religions are bullshit'' is no different from saying all values/sets of beliefs that people have are bullshit.
    I am by no means supporting having religious classes in State schools irrespective of which particular religion we are referring to but parents/children have a right to follow any religious of their choice. Likewise, parents have a right to introduce their religions to their kids.

    So 1) I agree with you that religious education should not be part of the state school system (beyond general cultural/society/history studies as religion has been big part of culture...so while studying history - issues where religion has been involved over the years will inevitebly get touched)
    2) We need to treat those who follow/worship with respect.
    My interpretation of a doc called something like Human Rights of the Child was that children should not be brainwashed but religions do it in all countries except China. But Chinese virus literally "washes" the brain
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Australian state politics and elections thread
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Politics
    Replies: 1456
    Last Post: 19-06-2022, 12:58 PM
  2. "Special religious instruction" (yeah right) in Victorian schools
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Religion and Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 30-03-2011, 09:31 PM
  3. ACF Membership Proposal 2010
    By peter_parr in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-09-2009, 03:15 PM
  4. Article in The Age - state schools in Victoria
    By Watto in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-08-2007, 12:09 PM
  5. life as an atheist in Australia
    By qpawn in forum Religion and Science
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 24-06-2006, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •