Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatus

Isn't it obvious.

The various administrators, mouthpieces and hangers-on will receive "free" accommodation and meals at the Mercure. The expense of this will be offset by the sponsorship monies provided by the Mercure, inflating the nominal figure for Mercure sponsorship without actually hurting them too much.

This munificence is either more administrators with their paws in the honey-pot at the expense of the players (as always) or, forthelongtermgoodofAustralianchess (to recall the mantra) ... you decide.
    Well this is a poisonous little post isn't it?

Getting "free" accommodation and food is such a big lure - don't know why I don't give up my business and just become a permanent chess organiser.

I can't speak for the organisers of the other tournaments, as I have not been very involved with their arrangements.

However for the schools

Charles Zworestine is being employed as a DOP and I am the main organiser.

Charles is getting paid $200. Out of this he has to pay the cost of his and my transport. Given the current cost of petrol that will barely cover his travel to and from Sydney. He is also stopping in Canberra, staying the night at my house and then transporting me and 50 chess sets and digitals, trophies and various other things to Mt Buller.

Yes we are getting free accommodation and food and why not? Surprise surprise - we wouldn't be there if we weren't running the damn tournament so why shouldn't we be given accommodation?

In case you are thinking we are going to be living it up in some suite at the Mercure, we are staying in something called the Heli house. Don't know what it is, but I understand it is dormitory accommodation with shared facilities. I am currently thinking of paying for my own accommodation, as not sure if I could cope with that.

So for $200 plus dormitory accommodation and el chepo meals, you get 2 experienced people to run a tournament. I do not get any reimbursement for postage or phonecalls and have already spent money on both. I am an e-mail junkie, so am hoping to keep that to a minimum.

I have already lost count of the hours I have spent on admin work for the schools and my work load hasn't even really started.
    Last edited by jenni; 15-10-2004 at 05:21 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Well this is a poisonous little post isn't it?

Getting "free" accommodation and food is such a big lure - don't know why I don't give up my business and just become a permanent chess organiser.

I can't speak for the organisers of the other tournaments, as I have not been very involved with their arrangements.

However for the schools

Charles Zworestine is being employed as a DOP and I am the main organiser.

Charles is getting paid $200. Out of this he has to pay the cost of his and my transport. Given the current cost of petrol that will barely cover his travel to and from Sydney. He is also stopping in Canberra, staying the night at my house and then transporting me and 50 chess sets and digitals, trophies and various other things to Mt Buller.

Yes we are getting free accommodation and food and why not? Surprise surprise - we wouldn't be there if we weren't running the damn tournament so why shouldn't we be given accommodation?

In case you are thinking we are going to be living it up in some suite at the Mercure, we are staying in something called the Heli house. Don't know what it is, but I understand it is dormitory accommodation with shared facilities. I am currently thinking of paying for my own accommodation, as not sure if I could cope with that.

So for $200 plus dormitory accommodation and el chepo meals, you get 2 experienced people to run a tournament. I do not get any reimbursement for postage or phonecalls and have already spent money on both. I am an e-mail junkie, so am hoping to keep that to a minimum.

I have already lost count of the hours I have spent on admin work for the schools and my work load hasn't even really started.
    Good onya Jenni!

Don't get disturbed by a tiny minority of non-organising whingers (ppl like to find anything they can to complain about - its not my fault I lost the game!).

I'm sure that most players and their families will appreciate your voluntary efforts. There seems to be a severe shortage of capable volunteers - chessplayers are lucky to have some real unselfish gems about.

I hope you find the tournaments satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    I hope you find the tournaments satisfying.
    I am really looking forward to them - I love junior tournaments, they are always so exciting and unpredictable

Hi All,

The free accomodation is to make sure we have good organisers and great arbiters in that they will not be out of pocket.

The free accomodation is on top of the sponsorship monies while I will take monies from the pool to pay for organisers food expenses for the same reason.

People will be paid varying amounts depending on what arrangements have been found acceptable to various parties and as the Main Organiser I am responsible for the bottom line but if a profit looks like being made it is my intention to put as much back into the tournament as possible but I think a profit may be a fanciful thought.

Any loss of course comes directly out of my pocket.

Regards
    George Howard

Quote Originally Posted by george
    Any loss of course comes directly out of my pocket.
    I think for everyone this is a key point, ppl might complain about certain arrangments financially, but i dont hear anyone saying they will accept responsibility for any losses incurred.

CC Candidate Master
    2004 ... Australian Schools Team Championship thread #56
    Now that Roman has talked me into paying for a room ...
    This thread #46
    Yes we are getting free accommodation and food and why not?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatus
    2004 ... Australian Schools Team Championship thread #56

This thread #46

It is actually quite obvious I would have thought?

I can stay for free if I stay in lodge accommodation, known as the Heli house. (this is where all the helpers, such as George, Charles Z etc are staying).

I have chosen to stay in the Mercure for the schools comp, so I am paying $120 per night (or whatever the single occupancy rate is for a room). My kids team is competing (they finally managed to win their playoff!) and they will be in the Mercure as well on the Friday and Saturday night, but I will be there on my own on the Thursday and Sunday nights (coming early, leaving late in order to set up and pack up).

Roman didn't think I would enjoy being in a lodge with a whole lot of guys and I have to agree (not that I don't really like Charles etc).

Quote from e-mail to them breaking the sad news.

"Incidentally I am afraid I am deserting you for the competition. I
    >thought seriously of staying with you in the Heli house, but I think I
    >am a bit old and need my comfort, so I have booked a room at the
    >Mercure. (Actually Roman talked me into it, and it seemed worth it for
    >the bit of extra money). I am quite happy to have meals with you, so I
    >am not being totally anti social!"

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by george
    Hi All,

The 5 year deal whatever it will be , will be delivered to ACF on January 6th - ACF with a new President can then take as much time as it needs and is acceptable to Mercure Grand Chalet to make a decision - time frames for decisions would I suspect be negotiated between ACF Council/Accor or whomever is the negotiating vehicle.

Certainly what has been shown is that Mercure Grand Chalet can get a group of sponsors together to support such an undertaking.

Jenny and Garvin are right when they say the number of bednights at Mercure will be important from Mercure's point of view - how much is enough I really dont know. There is a lot more information re attitudes from key Mercure Grand Chalet / Grollo Corporation people which are commercial in confidence.

If we had 18 months to prepare for this thing consultations and negotiations with key interest groups could have been prolonged and detailed but we did not have the time but my analysis of the situation was that I was prepared to do everything I could to salvage the proposal.

Back to the thread topic - is it repeatable - YES it certainly is and no the new President doesnt have to take 3 months off work to make it happen because a good template ( time will judge this but at this stage I say it is a very good template) would have been established and hopefully the set of Organisers needed for any future Mt Buller Tourneys will not have to reinvent the wheel. I and the team of Organisers have been helped by advice from a group of experienced players and organisers. We have listened to advice given and problems of various proportions have been circumnavigated as a result.

I am positive that the tournaments will be successful and that players in both tournaments will be pleasantly surprised as perceived problems dont materialise and an enjoyable time is had by all.

Kindest Regards TO ALL
    George Howard
    George
    Thanks for this post addressing whether Mt B. can be repeatable.

It was always clear that if the deal was successful for Mecure that they would wish to repeat.
    The question was, are we in a position to resource a repeat given that the effort takes place away from a populatuion centre.

I think you have a valid point that you have now templated an approach and this is a good platform for our next event.

starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    George

It was always clear that if the deal was successful for Mecure that they would wish to repeat.
    The question was, are we in a position to resource a repeat given that the effort takes place away from a populatuion centre.

I think you have a valid point that you have now templated an approach and this is a good platform for our next event.

starter
    are you asking a question that might require an answer? I am just unclear about what you are exactly asking?

Civility costs nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    are you asking a question that might require an answer? I am just unclear about what you are exactly asking?
    gg;;

No. Just thread maintenance because I was the initiator.

In the first post I asked some questions.
    A few following posts were sensible, a few were not.

Then George gave a definitive answer...which I just thanked him for.

starter

gg;;

No. Just thread maintenance because I was the initiator.

In the first post I asked some questions.
    A few following posts were sensible, a few were not.

Then George gave a definitive answer...which I just thanked him for.

starter
    ok then

George

starter

24 November 2004

So george is at Mt Buller, already.
    gg'' is getting ready to go to Mt Buller.

Even though George says he has templated all arrangements, I am still having trouble imagining how we are to repeat this labour effort, in this location.

The thread title was
    Mt. B. .. A Repeatable Process?

starter

24 November 2004

So george is at Mt Buller, already.
    gg'' is getting ready to go to Mt Buller.

Even though George says he has templated all arrangements, I am still having trouble imagining how we are to repeat this labour effort, in this location.

The thread title was

starter
    Mr starter sir,

I think George is there a little bit early, but that is up to him Remember though that we are going to be there for the astc on December 4/5. This is the only year that the astc will be any part of any possible accor deal. This will mean for the accor deal that there will not be any need for any future organisers to be committed in early december to running the astc.

So the labour effort is less than it is this year. Any further questions?

P.S did you decide to ask now cause you know i am around the bb atm

Any dang process is repeatable. The question is: should it be repeated? What's my net present value? My cost benefit? ROI?

I'm sure, being our resident metrics guy, that'd be what you're looking for.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Mr starter sir,

I think George is there a little bit early, but that is up to him Remember though that we are going to be there for the astc on December 4/5. This is the only year that the astc will be any part of any possible accor deal. This will mean for the accor deal that there will not be any need for any future organisers to be committed in early december to running the astc.

So the labour effort is less than it is this year. Any further questions?

P.S did you decide to ask now cause you know i am around the bb atm
    GG''

I asked the question for the reason I put in my post. No hidden agenda by me.
    I wish Mt B. good luck, and I recognise the huge effort being put in by George et al.
    I simply posted at this time because I noted the date and the announcements by GH and GG re location now and in the short term.
    "Is the labour effort repeatable", is the question that crosses my mind.

starter

Thread Information