Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
    Wasn't there some sort of post-event document that was completed for Adelaide? I believe one was produced post Buderim '99 also as a sort of benchmark document. Can't recall if Press, et al did one post Rydges '01.

(Actually, I got a bit of a question. What was the name of that young bloke who was one of the organisers for the 01 event? Andrew something rather. Whatever happened to him?)

AR
    Last edited by arosar; 20-01-2005 at 01:38 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I never said that they shoudl have done it themselves just that they should have organised someone to do it.

If I seemed to be critcisng the arbiters that wasnt my intention.
    All I meant by saying they were getting paid for their services was that as such their "employer" (chief organiser) could request and indeed expect to get the SP files from them within 30 mins of the round ending.

Yes and given the same effiecient Chief arbiter was in place then and now I would be surprised if he wouldnt have done the same this time.
    Hence my criticism of the organisers.
    Bill I think we are in almost complete agreement, I just did not write my first post clearly enough. Sorry. My last post was clarification, not meant to challenge anything you said.
    Scott

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Wasn't there some sort of post-event document that was completed for Adelaide? I believe one was produced post Buderim '99 also as a sort of benchmark document. Can't recall if Press, et al did one post Rydges '01.

(Actually, I got a bit of a question. What was the name of that young bloke who was one of the organisers for the 01 event? Andrew something rather. Whatever happened to him?)

AR
    I've observed this elsewhere but I will repeat it again. After almost every Aus Champs/Open the organisers promise to produce a guide so that "other organisers won't have to make the same mistakes we do". Very rarely does this guide get produced. But more importantly, the reason why mistakes get made isn't because the previous organisers didn't produce a guide, but because the current organisers usually can't be bothered asking the previous organisers for advice.
    After the 2000/01 Open we produced a report for the ACF, but I don't think we went as far as producing a comprehensive guide for future organisers. Of course most of the Canberra organisers are still around, and are contactable by a new fangled device called "the phone".
    Andrew Greenwood however is a little bit further away as he is currently doing his PHD at the University of Chicago.

CC Grandmaster

AR
    www.unichess.org/reports is the revelant website for the report produced after Adelaide.

Quote Originally Posted by adelandre
    However, I offered a feasible alternative to all entrants by offering the sale of a CD with photos, all full colour bulletins and PGNs for $12 inc. postage as a solution to the lack of supply. I did regret the bulletins were not on time but I and other members of the team did our best to resolve the problems. As far as the front page content goes (Shaun), I find that a combined humour/informative style works well, and personally I find pure informative styles to be a little droll. But I'm sure you'll agree its a matter of personal style, and variety between tournaments should serve to satisfy all tastes.
    Man....just give us the bulletins for free man - like the Marshall mob: http://www.marshallchessclub.org/MCC...2004Round8.pdf

AR

Now Libby, did you take a breath when you wrote that? Listen, no need to explain yourself OK. Everyone here knows what top class work you've done. And we also know how shabbily you've been treated.

Just relax, calm down, and drink some camomile tea or something. You're alright.

Actually, you just reminded me of "The Incredibles" - an animated film (by those genii at the Pixar mob). There's a character in there that's a bit like you I think. I tell you, when your kid(s) come back from that stupid mountain, you go see this movie OK? You'll love it. Just take it easy mate.

AR
    Sigh. What did I sound? Hysterical? Menopausal? I'm sure there's secret women's business being diagnosed at this very minute.

I should have stuck with my last diatribe. It has all been about communication after all.

Duly noted AR. I'll take a Bex and have a good lie down.

CC Candidate Master
    The issue of charging for the CD is a matter of what it includes - photos, PGNs, bulletins. A decision to supply the bulletins free on the net will be made by George.

With regards to website communication, I always onforwarded games between 8-10pm every night to Garvin (except one when my computer was down, and the first night when we were setting up) regardless of printing problems. SP files were always provided to me and Garvin at the completion of play. Garvin then sent all relevant information to Karthick. My computer would not connect to the net up there (only dialup anyway) so I did not have net access from my computer, and hence could not do that at the same time. Garvin's time was free at night, my time was not so it was a matter of efficienct use of personel.

With regards to event reports, yes Alex did very kindly do up a report consulting with me on the Champs last year - a fine example for others. I'm not sure if Garvin/George are considering doing so for this event.

Scott, I wish I had been more involved with these events so I could have had more control over what happened, and therefore felt more involved, but life got in the way. Alex and my mum have both been pretty sick so family takes precedence over a game called chess.

CC Grandmaster
    Andrew. Fair enough. I look forward to seeing you face to face sometime. I hope your mum is alright.
    Scott

AR
    Yes, a report in the form in part of a guide for organisers was prepared as noted by Freddy in his post #334. Unfortunately though the report was never completed in final form as I understand it and, even more unfortunately, was not presented to the ACF Council as required by By-law 25 of the By-laws for ACF Tournaments.

Denis Jessop

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    www.unichess.org/reports is the revelant website for the report produced after Adelaide.
    Fantastic resource that. THANK YOU.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    sent all relevant information
    Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    In his post #1 of the thread "Mt Buller - Chess World letter to ACF", DC stated Mercure would "Pay $10,000 fee to Chess World on provision of monthly reports"

In his reply in post #20 Roman states "We also agreed to pay David $10,000 for the year on the understanding that he organised and held the event at the Mercure Grand Chalet Mt Buller."

From what Roman said at the ACF National Conference, DC received this $10,000 payment.
    Sounds like an easy way to make $10,000!

I'll have to give serious thought to being the organiser of the next Mt Buller! Well......not really.......actually what I was thinking of doing was to get selected as the next Mt Buller organiser (but do NO work at all!), collect my $10,000 and then QUIT!!!
    Last edited by Paul S; 20-01-2005 at 11:29 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skip to my lou
    Please explain.
    The issue of relevance, I guess, was up to Garvin. But he asked me for the games, and at times swiss perfect files (if he hadn't got it from Charles or Roly themselves) so I provided this on demand.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    The issue of relevance, I guess, was up to Garvin. But he asked me for the games, and at times swiss perfect files (if he hadn't got it from Charles or Roly themselves) so I provided this on demand.
    Where was the other relevant information such as:

Bulletins
    News Updates
    Photos
    Profiles

Quote Originally Posted by skip to my lou
    Where was the other relevant information such as:

Bulletins
    News Updates
    Photos
    Profiles
    And lists showing the players standings in the various Mt Buller competitions! Rather awkward (and annoying) to try to work out the placings when you only have the round by round results!

Some cross tables would have been nice, too!

Thread Information