Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned

Some light, not gray.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni

I think it is reasonably general knowledge that if the Open and Juniors are successful, then there will be a 5 year sponsorship deal proposed at the National conference.
    Thanks jenni for taking the time to give us detail.
    Actually, I have not met anyone who knew this was to be a 5 year offer; is that by money or venue?

The Junior organisations have already taken the position that no decision can be made at the national conference, as the 2005 Juniors will not have taken place and thus no evaluation of the success or otherwise of the Juniors can take place.
    As you know, there are Melbourne based folk who would like to bid for this.

I think worrying about all this is a bit premature, as if the events are not successful, it is unlikely that more sponsorship money will be forthcoming.
    It became relevant in this time-frame for those contemplating responding to the ACF calling for nominations by 8/10/4.

starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Thanks jenni for taking the time to give us detail.
    Actually, I have not met anyone who knew this was to be a 5 year offer; is that by money or venue?
    I am not aware of the details, just the basic info. At the risk of sounding like GG, I think probably only George really knows all the details. I really believe that as much info as possible should be in the open domain as soon as possible. People can only support something if they feel part of it. However I am not sure that all the details have been sorted out as yet - I think it very much depends on what happens at the Open.

As you know, there are Melbourne based folk who would like to bid for this.
    Absolutely - obviously states need to be able to have local based Aus juniors, so that juniors whose parents are reluctant to travel have the opportunity to compete (and perhaps be prepared to travel in the future). However the 2 are not necessarily incompatible.

It became relevant in this time-frame for those contemplating responding to the ACF calling for nominations by 8/10/4.
    Well I would have thought anyone planning to nominate should just do it. If they are keen to make things happen, then they need to be part of the process. If the people standing for office don't agree with the sponsorship deal, then the best way to change it is to take office.
    Last edited by jenni; 26-09-2004 at 01:51 PM.

perhaps if it was a long term contract with accor rather than mercure in particular so that championships etc could still go to different population centres each year but with accor making accomodation available depending on what hotels etc they owned

i know they own the victoria hotel cnr of little collins and swanston streets in melbourne next to the melbourne town hall where championship events were held some years ago

not sure if similar cosy arrangements exist in other states but it would seem that this is the direction in which a long term arrangement should go

eclectic

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    perhaps if it was a long term contract with accor rather than mercure in particular so that championships etc could still go to different population centres each year but with accor making accomodation available depending on what hotels etc they owned

i know they own the victoria hotel cnr of little collins and swanston streets in melbourne next to the melbourne town hall where championship events were held some years ago

not sure if similar cosy arrangements exist in other states but it would seem that this is the direction in which a long term arrangement should go

eclectic
    Ah, my friend eclectic, you must have been in the circle of conversation, last Friday night, that speculated on just this point. And so what did you think of the question in regard to whether it is the off-season for hotels in Capital cities, in January-February? We can all see how Mt B gets
    > new cash-flow from chess tenants, in Jan-Feb, starting from what previously might have been zero
    >> takes 50% of this and gives it back to chess promoters in the form prize-money contribution, brochure costs, management fee, or whatever,

but, does the same financial model apply on the corner of Little Collins and Swanston?

Hence the thread title...Mt B. .. A Repeatable Process?

starter

Ah, my friend eclectic, you must have been in the circle of conversation, last Friday night, that speculated on just this point.

starter
    no,

i do not have the gift of astral travel

eclectic

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    no,

i do not have the gift of astral travel

eclectic
    Yes, but, ........

what do you think about the financial model question, eclectic.

Yes, but, ........

what do you think about the financial model question, eclectic.
    the model seems ok but what will be tested this year is whether or not the venue is too isolated thus deterring repeat interest from players

repeat events might need to contain more rest days (perhaps in 2 day blocks) so that anyone who wants to travel to melbourne to do other things can

for a permanent venue varying degrees of subsidies for interstate players might be need to be considered as they would not have future events in their home turf where they could compensate for outlay

i don't think anyone put in a bid to have mt buller as one of the world championship reunification match venues

poor kirsan would have been too sick as his limo driver speeded around the tortuous trail from mansfield

eclectic

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    I am not aware of the details, just the basic info. At the risk of sounding like GG, I think probably only George really knows all the details. I really believe that as much info as possible should be in the open domain as soon as possible. People can only support something if they feel part of it. However I am not sure that all the details have been sorted out as yet - I think it very much depends on what happens at the Open.
    jenni, you dont sound anything like me- my line is ask George at georgeshoward@hotmail.com

Ok since Jenni has opened up about the deal, i will reveal a lot more, minus the financial stuff as that really is commercial in confidence (the amounts are rather large, in my opinion).

The deal as i know it is-

A five year deal. This year is part of the deal, but is a trial. The whole details etc will be detailed at the acf national conference, with the vote to be taken at a later stage after the juniors by the sounds of it, which i think is fair enough.

Sponsorships and other funds are available each year for the five years. This then provides any new organisers with a ready made sponsorship fund. Also the new organisers would have a ready made model to use if they wish.

The 2005 open and juniors, 2007 open and juniors, 2009 open and juniors are to be run at mt buller.

The 2006 championships, 2006 juniors, 2008 championships and 2008 juniors can be run in any capital city of the acf's choice.

My thoughts are that for the 2006 championships and juniors, some of the current organisers should run these two events. This would provide continuity for the first two years.

I dont know if the 2006 championships and juniors must be run in the same city? I think this would be advisable, but may not be necessary.

Us organisers keep saying mercure and as eclectic has noted, there is a mercure hotel in melbourne. There is also one in Brisbane and so i suspect there is one in each city. The deal is actually with accor hotels if i remember correctly. We keep saying mercure because the main accommodation venue is mercure grand chalet.

The australian schools chess championships will no longer be part of any of these deals. It is only part of the 2005 deal.

My personal vision is-

2005 open and juniors at buller

2006 championships and juniors in brisbane. the acf rotation schedule lists caq has having bidding rights for 2006. I think it would make a bit of sense to have myself involved in the running of the 2006 championships and juniors to provide continuity between the first and second years.

2007 open and juniors at buller

2008 championships and juniors in melbourne.

2009 open and juniors at buller.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    jenni, you dont sound anything like me- my line is ask George at georgeshoward@hotmail.com

Ok since Jenni has opened up about the deal, i will reveal a lot more, minus the financial stuff as that really is commercial in confidence (the amounts are rather large, in my opinion).

The deal as i know it is-

A five year deal. This year is part of the deal, but is a trial. The whole details etc will be detailed at the acf national conference, with the vote to be taken at a later stage after the juniors by the sounds of it, which i think is fair enough.

Sponsorships and other funds are available each year for the five years. This then provides any new organisers with a ready made sponsorship fund. Also the new organisers would have a ready made model to use if they wish.

The 2005 open and juniors, 2007 open and juniors, 2009 open and juniors are to be run at mt buller.

The 2006 championships, 2006 juniors, 2008 championships and 2008 juniors can be run in any capital city of the acf's choice.

My thoughts are that for the 2006 championships and juniors, some of the current organisers should run these two events. This would provide continuity for the first two years.

I dont know if the 2006 championships and juniors must be run in the same city? I think this would be advisable, but may not be necessary.

Us organisers keep saying mercure and as eclectic has noted, there is a mercure hotel in melbourne. There is also one in Brisbane and so i suspect there is one in each city. The deal is actually with accor hotels if i remember correctly. We keep saying mercure because the main accommodation venue is mercure grand chalet.

The australian schools chess championships will no longer be part of any of these deals. It is only part of the 2005 deal.

My personal vision is-

2005 open and juniors at buller

2006 championships and juniors in brisbane. the acf rotation schedule lists caq has having bidding rights for 2006. I think it would make a bit of sense to have myself involved in the running of the 2006 championships and juniors to provide continuity between the first and second years.

2007 open and juniors at buller

2008 championships and juniors in melbourne.

2009 open and juniors at buller.
    Well, well, well, Mr Un-ga''gged
    At 9.09 this morning you were giving me one word (two letters, rhymes with po) responses on this topic.
    Bit by bit during the day you have become a bit more responsive. Obviously a post-count strategy eh? Could not have anything to do with 'jenni' upstaging you. I will watch with interest Amiel's reaction in the morning when he sees your flip-flop.

Thanks for the detailed response. It really is a big step forward in our understanding. It was not all that tough for you to type more than one line, for a change, was it?

No comment from me for the moment while I ring those who commissioned the thread in the first place. Your revelations will put their plans up the spout.

Good post of yours btw...thanks.

starter

No comment from me for the moment while I ring those who commissioned the thread in the first place. Your revelations will put their plans up the spout.

Good post of yours btw...thanks.

starter
    remember, some of the plans i posted were my thoughts and i have stated so in the relevant areas. For instance, the location of the 2006 and 2008 championships/juniors.

Anyways, what were the plans of those who commissioned this thread? All may not be lost for everyone.

At 9.09 this morning you were giving me one word (two letters, rhymes with po) responses on this topic. Bit by bit during the day you have become a bit more responsive.
    i didnt post after 10am anywhere, i wasnt even at home or near a computer till i got home at about 630pm. so i am not sure how i become more responsive during the day

given your conflict of interest in this matter you should keep your opinion to yourself. Besides who cares what your think?!

Mercure will not to want to know you after this year's event because most of their rooms are left empty while whole lot of die hard chess players set up camps on their front lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by peanbrain
    given your conflict of interest in this matter you should keep your opinion to yourself. Besides who cares what your think?!

Mercure will not to want to know you after this year's event because most of their rooms are left empty while whole lot of die hard chess players set up camps on their front lawn.
    i think starter could have run a good market on when the first troll would appear.

i think starter could have run a good market on when the first troll would appear.
    ggray - how much are you getting paid as the mouthpiece for mt bull 3? I am interested because I think george is not getting good value for his money and even arosar is doing a better job than you.

Quote Originally Posted by peanbrain
    ggray - how much are you getting paid as the mouthpiece for mt bull 3? I am interested because I think george is not getting good value for his money and even arosar is doing a better job than you.
    do you actually have anything sensible to contribute?

Thread Information