Thread: Hpt

CC Candidate Master

Hpt

Hello eveyone. i attempted the Hazard Perception Test (to get green P's) a month or so ago, and failed. I think i gave up half way through because some of the scnearios seemed weird and I've never really faced them before. Also I think i went in there thinking it was easy because everyone else said it was. I found the actual driving test way easier

I mainly want to see if anyone has any advice on it? My mian problem I feel was turing at an intersection. I think all of those videos I should have just left it. Whats the ruling on, if your at an intersection, and theres someone opposite you (on the other side of the road) turning right aswell and theres another lane to the left of them. Do you have to wait until they are gone so you can see cars approaching in the (opposite) left lane?

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexrules01
    I mainly want to see if anyone has any advice on it? My mian problem I feel was turing at an intersection. I think all of those videos I should have just left it. Whats the ruling on, if your at an intersection, and theres someone opposite you (on the other side of the road) turning right aswell and theres another lane to the left of them. Do you have to wait until they are gone so you can see cars approaching in the (opposite) left lane?
    If you were on a four lane road (two lanes in both directions) and your were both turning right then you can't wait till their gone as a blanket rule since they would be doing the same thing and you would get a deadlock.

The general rule of thumb is to only go when you are sure there is no-one coming. If you are both average sized vehicles then you can usually do that sometimes within a short period time watching for traffic entering the obscured section of road and seeing when they become visible again - provided new traffic cannot enter the stream of traffic in the obscured section of road.

If they are are truck or bus, then it is more problematic and it may be best to wait for them to go as they will have a much better view of oncoming traffic than you. But they same principle applies so if in doubt wait but if you are confident it is safe to do so complete the turn.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

IMO you may commence your turn, but must stop and wait for any through traffic to get clear, without blocking their lane. Often this involves waiting for the lights to change and the through traffic stops on the red light.

You can't enter the intersection if there is another car or cars ahead of you also waiting to turn right, if there is a risk you could be stuck mid-intersection when the lights change.

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks Rince. In every video there was a a vehicle opposite turning right also. I believe in probably all the videos I would have just have to let it play without saying I would go. Play it real safe!
    And Ian, that is how I thought the videos would play out, but the car always sticks behind the stop line, so I believe the viedo is saying either go if it is safe or wait behind the line.
    I just don't want to go and do the test again and fail, and for out another $40, its a big rip off!

Thread Information