Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Scid vs. PC

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Have you tried executing the install script with administrator access? In windows 7 you should be able to right-click on the icon and select "Run as administrator".
    No. Thanks. Will give it a go.
    EDIT: Many thanks. It worked. Something I forget too often - many installs work better with Admin access. Ta! Now I can have lunch! (Lasagne.)
    Last edited by Adamski; 20-04-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Steven:
    I blew away my old Scid vs PC and re-installed. But now it won't work.
    I get the following Unix error message. Can you assist? Ta.

"can't create directory "C:/Program Files/Scid vs PC -4.9/bin/data/Inbox":
    permission denied
    while executing
    "file mkdir $Inbox"
    Hmmm .... Win 64 may not have the same permissions code as windows 7 , 32bit.
    Anyway, an easy solution for this is to uninstall and reinstall the program in your home directory. I'll have to get my hands on a win64 machine i guess.

CC Candidate Master

Slow 4.9 Scid vs Mac

Dear Steven,

Thanks for your work on Scid vs Mac. I have downloaded 4.9 and install. Not sure I am happy. I can see the docked window but it is making things really slow, like loading the database, loading a game. On the other hand some other things are really fast now.

I am really tempted to go back to 4.7. BTW is that possible?

One bug this far: I find when I load a game, I cannot click on a move in the pgn window to jump to that position. Nor can I play through the game using the arrow keys on the keyboard.

Any advice?
    siow, weng nian

Do not think that you know.
    Be aware of all that is and dwell in the infinite.
    The sky is blue. Is that really so?
    Or does it only look blue because it stretches off into infinity?

http://seekingcaissa.blogspot.com.au/
    http://www.australian-junior-youth-chess.blogspot.com/
    http://rydeeastwoodchessclub.blogspot.com/

> I can see the docked window but it is making things really slow, like loading the database, loading a game. On the other hand some other things are really fast now.

Are you using a Mac ? Docked mode works quite poorly on OS X. And keyboard bindings are broke too.
    If you're not using a Mac please copy and paste me the contents of your Help->StartupWindow

> I am really tempted to go back to 4.7. BTW is that possible?

Sure... But i'd recommend just disabling docked mode in Options->Windows->Dock Windows, and then restart app.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus
    Hmmm .... Win 64 may not have the same permissions code as windows 7 , 32bit.
    Anyway, an easy solution for this is to uninstall and reinstall the program in your home directory. I'll have to get my hands on a win64 machine i guess.
    Just realised you might have not have seen it is all fine now for me. Administrator rights for the install made the difference.
    The new version is very nice so well done Steve!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thanks Adamski
    That docked mode has so many little gotchas. Pawn promotion doesnt work properly in non-docked mode now.

I think i'll spend a little time today fixing up a few bugs and make a 4.9.1 release.
    Gonna disable docked mode by default in OS X too... that needs some serious surgery.

CC Candidate Master
    4.9 is out. It includes mainline Scid's docked windows feature with some adaptations and a bug-fix or three. Windows annoying occasional drop-out should also be fixed.
    http://scidvspc.sf.net
    With this update, I've made the switch.
    Thanks Steve!

CC Candidate Master
    Out of curiosity, is there any "Guess the move" feature in this program?

Maybe you mean Options->Moves->Show Suggested Moves ?

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Maybe you mean Options->Moves->Show Suggested Moves ?
    I think perhaps they mean training mode?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Candidate Master
    Yes, Rincewind is correct. Apologies for my ambiguity.

Oh, ok. Yes, Scid vs. PC has slightly different training features.

The Play->Mate in ...N... puzzle is the main one imho, and i have put some effort into making it half useable. Press F1 for help.

The other two Play->Training-> are less refined/debugged, but i have still tried to keep the help files (available via the Help Index) as accurate and concise as possible.
    Last edited by Agent Smith; 24-05-2013 at 09:39 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Dear Steven,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using Mac OS. After a few weeks (?) I have decided it is not working and have installed ver 4.8 without the docking. Even though I have all the windows floating around, it is better than 4.9.

Just re-read your post and I never did try disabling .......

BTW, I would like to suggest/request an additional feature. In days before Mac, I used a PC and installed ChessDB. One great feature of ChessDB was the automated download of TWICs into my TWIC database. This feature is not present in SCID nor in Scid vs Mac (?). Of course when TWIC went over to a new website, the automated updates did not work since the programmer of ChessDB was no longer updating.
    My request: Is it possible to have something similar in Scid vs Mac? (Of course if you do programme something similar, I will have to figure out how to download and install without docking.)

Query: If I am using a base as tree and I wish to see a game and merge the game, is it the case that the annotations to that particular game is not "merged"?

But thanks for all your hard work. There are still features which I have yet to test.

> I can see the docked window but it is making things really slow, like loading the database, loading a game. On the other hand some other things are really fast now.

Are you using a Mac ? Docked mode works quite poorly on OS X. And keyboard bindings are broke too.
    If you're not using a Mac please copy and paste me the contents of your Help->StartupWindow

> I am really tempted to go back to 4.7. BTW is that possible?

Sure... But i'd recommend just disabling docked mode in Options->Windows->Dock Windows, and then restart app.

siow, weng nian

Quote Originally Posted by siow, weng nian
    Dear Steven,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using Mac OS. After a few weeks (?) I have decided it is not working and have installed ver 4.8 without the docking. Even though I have all the windows floating around, it is better than 4.9.

Just re-read your post and I never did try disabling .......

BTW, I would like to suggest/request an additional feature. In days before Mac, I used a PC and installed ChessDB. One great feature of ChessDB was the automated download of TWICs into my TWIC database. This feature is not present in SCID nor in Scid vs Mac (?).
    The twic2scid.py pythn script was updated in Scid vs. PC 4.9. It is clumsy, and untested on OS X and windows, but it should work.
    Query: If I am using a base as tree and I wish to see a game and merge the game, is it the case that the annotations to that particular game is not "merged"?
    Yes - comments/annotations are not merged. Is it possible... desirable... hmmm ?. The idea is in my little red book. but i have other priorities, and am busy with work too atm.

CC Candidate Master

Query re SCID

Dear Steven,

Thanks for your help. Ver 4.8 works fine for me on Mac. Is the TWIC download avail on ver 4.8 mac?

My main query is re SCID (the original updated) and the mobile version. AusJCL is preparing for Johns-Putra JETS and we have chess-logo'ed USB sticks for sale to juniors and parents. But we intend to fill them with chess goodies (all legal!). I was thinking of installing a mobile ver of SCID for the kids so they can have a chess database to play around with. Do you know if the SCID ver works? and works on a USB stick (ie runs sole from a USB stick attached to a PC)?

D'oh! I just serached for SCID on the web and realised that it has now been changed and the mobile ver is gone.

My query now: is there a mobile ver of SCID or any of its forks which can be installed and run from a USB stick?

Thanks in advance.
    siow, weng nian

Thread Information