Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scid vs. PC

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar

Scid vs. PC

Do many people use Scid ? It's a general purpose chess toolkit/database app.
    The mainstream project has lots of interface issues, but i've been trying to clean it up in the last couple of years.
    New features include rewritten gamelist, Fics and help widgets, and a simple Computer Tournament.

Scid vs. PC homepage
    Windows zip file

The project requires TCL to be installed.

I like scid and use it from time to time. There is another thread on it somewhere. I seem to recall Rincewind also uses it. Glad to hear you are improving it.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master
    I've often hear people complain about the interface in Scid, but frankly I don't see why! It is very easy to learn (and there are helpful articles at Scid's page as well as excellent tutorial videos on chessvideos.tv) and is supported by many helpful keyboard shortcuts. I have tried Scid vs. PC and it was alright but I saw no reason to change.

CC FIDE Master
    I personally use ChessDB rather than Scid, but it's based on Scid, and is also more than adequate IMO.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Extinct ?

I think Shane Hudson (Scid's original author) was a Kiwi. Does anyone know what happened to him or what he's doing ?

CC FIDE Master
    He's from Chch, and dropped by the All Canterbury Champs last year to have a look at our new clubrooms. He seemed well enough, but he hasn't been active for quite a few years now.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Cheers for that. Glad to hear he's ok.. . He must have spent quite some time writing Scid, so it's suprising he apparently abandoned it.

I wrote up a short history of Scid a little while ago. Am i mistaken about anything ?

.... Yah, ChessDB is basically Shane's database program and is good enough for that end. Still, it's user interface is fairly broken imho , but no worse than mainline Scid i guess.

CC Candidate Master
    Seriously, what is wrong with Scid's interface?

Quote Originally Posted by jhughes
    Seriously, what is wrong with Scid's interface?
    The gamelist widget is a real mess, dead links don't get removed from the "File" menu, icons are awful, the board options widget(s) are ugly and hard to use. ..... etc. etc.

I don't really want to run through the thousand odd changes i've made to it, or start a flame war. People can get used to anything.

CC Rookie
    Hey Steve. You need to fix the Mask - Comment issues though. There's an application error in Scid-vs-PC (windows) that prevents comments to the mask.

Quote Originally Posted by checkmark2
    Hey Steve. You need to fix the Mask - Comment issues though. There's an application error in Scid-vs-PC (windows) that prevents comments to the mask.
    Sorry about that - it was an untested code snippet from last time i synced with mainline SCID's tree. It's fixed in SVN now, with some extra work done to the mask feature / help file.

Windows Installer

I probably should mention we now have a proper windows installer for Scid vs. PC. Thanks to Jiří Pavlovský.

This executable will first prompt user if they need to download the Tcl framework required by Scid, then install the actual program and add file type associations for ".pgn" and Scid's database, ".si4"

It's slightly newer than Scid vs. PC-4.5 (so the documentation is a little incomplete), and not an official release. I'm just putting it out there because installers are a big thing to many people, and i don't plan to make a proper 4.6 release for at least a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus
    I probably should mention we now have a proper windows installer for Scid vs. PC.
    Otherwise known as a glazier.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Ratings graph + multiple players

I don't know how good my database is...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    The one marked Bonham must surely be somebody else!

Thread Information